Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Other Sports (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   50th running of the Daytona 500! (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=22484)

jsarno 02-10-2008 03:08 PM

50th running of the Daytona 500!

I don't know about you guys, but I am very excited to see another NASCAR season here, especially only 2 weeks behind the super bowl and my depression from losing the football season. Go Gordon!

I do have a question, what is the point of the shootout?

htownskinfan 02-10-2008 03:27 PM

Re: 50th running of the Daytona 500!

I dont think there is a point,just a fun race.That was a great start for jr,looking forward to the race,my cousins taking her husband for his bday,lucky basterd!

SmootSmack 02-10-2008 03:27 PM

It's just a fun way to start the season without any pressure really being on the drivers

500 should be fun next week

jsarno 02-10-2008 03:41 PM

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;420318]It's just a fun way to start the season without any pressure really being on the drivers

500 should be fun next week[/QUOTE]

That's cool. I just thought there was money involved or something.

Good sign for Gibbs and Toyota that Stewart finished 2nd last night eh SS?

SmootSmack 02-10-2008 03:43 PM

[QUOTE=jsarno;420326]That's cool. I just thought there was money involved or something.

Good sign for Gibbs and Toyota that Stewart finished 2nd last night eh SS?[/QUOTE]

Very good sign :)

Especially after he and Kurt Busch had their little scuffle on Friday

jsarno 02-10-2008 03:49 PM

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;420330]Very good sign :)

Especially after he and Kurt Busch had their little scuffle on Friday[/QUOTE]

Well, you have the most hot headed team in the history of NASCAR, expect more of that. I just didn't expect to see Toyota have such a good showing so quickly, but it appears the COT really levels the playing field with the car manufacturers.

Redskins247 02-10-2008 04:03 PM

[QUOTE=jsarno;420337]Well, you have the most hot headed team in the history of NASCAR, expect more of that. I just didn't expect to see Toyota have such a good showing so quickly, but it appears the COT really levels the playing field with the car manufacturers.[/QUOTE]

Good point...we had the race on here but not the sound and I didn't even think about Stewart being in a Toyota. I was really hoping Gordon was going to pull that off!!! But good for Jr

jsarno 02-10-2008 04:28 PM

[QUOTE=Redskins247;420347]Good point...we had the race on here but not the sound and I didn't even think about Stewart being in a Toyota. I was really hoping Gordon was going to pull that off!!! But good for Jr[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I am happy for JR. now that he has a REAL team. Hendrick will yet again be the cream of the crop for this year. I think Mears will make a big splash this year too.

BDBohnzie 02-11-2008 11:04 AM

Kurt Busch is a weasel...not that Tony is a saint.

I watched bits and pieces of the Shootout. It's just a fun run before the real deal. Kinda like the All Star race at Charlotte.

Mears is a quality driver, but now he's playing 4th fiddle. He is the Cal Naughton Jr. of the Hendrick team.

Just looking over the Qualifying results. Neither of the drivers in the first row surprise me. Michael always does fairly well at Daytona...

SmootSmack 02-11-2008 12:14 PM

Kurt Busch is an annoying dude. Mainly because he's just really anti-social. I would have preferred if it was Tony vs. Kyle though. That would have been more exciting. Teammate fight!

firstdown 02-11-2008 12:56 PM

NASCAR got everything they wanted this weekend leading up to the 500. Dale Jr makes a statement and they have a fight.

Redskins247 02-17-2008 10:26 PM

Pretty surprising ending to this race...after the Gibbs & Hendricks cars dominated all week, Penske finishes 1 and 2??!! All in all, I thought the race as a whole was kind of blah...other than the last few laps.

EternalEnigma21 02-17-2008 11:01 PM

really? I never watch nascar, but with jg racing going to toyota, and seeing as how I love Joe, Toyota, Home Depot, and M and Ms... I figured I'd watch. I was not disappointed. I saw the last 47 laps.

It looked to me like tony had a faster car and he was trying to go low to block his teammate which lost him speed, and when the other 2 cars were drafting up top he got passed...

but im really new at the racing thing. i liked it though it looked great in hd.

SmootSmack 02-17-2008 11:25 PM

[QUOTE=canthetuna;423502]really? I never watch nascar, but with jg racing going to toyota, and seeing as how I love Joe, Toyota, Home Depot, and M and Ms... I figured I'd watch. I was not disappointed. I saw the last 47 laps.

It looked to me like tony had a faster car and he was trying to go low to block his teammate which lost him speed, and when the other 2 cars were drafting up top he got passed...

but im really new at the racing thing. i liked it though it looked great in hd.[/QUOTE]

Well he didn't exactly go low to block Kyle Busch, but rather to get a push from him. And this would help Kyle Busch, who probably had the fastest car overall. But they didn't hook up fast enough and when he dropped low that opened it up for Ryan Newman to get a push from Kurt Busch.

jsarno 02-17-2008 11:38 PM

[QUOTE=Redskins247;423501]Pretty surprising ending to this race...after the Gibbs & Hendricks cars dominated all week, Penske finishes 1 and 2??!! All in all, I thought the race as a whole was kind of blah...other than the last few laps.[/QUOTE]

I was surprised as to how the COT has levelled the playing field with GM and the rest of the world. Dodge had an amazing showing, and Toyota did the best they ever did.

Dlyne8r 02-18-2008 10:18 AM

I was surprised more wasn't made after the race of Dale Jr's failure to pit those two last cautions at the end of the race. I heard one of the commentators mention Tony Eury Jr. telling Little "E" that he had intended for him to pit on that last caution, but due to all the radio chatter he couldn't get to him in time. Then, on the last couple of laps it looked as if Jr. was going to make a run for the lead when he ducked down low in the draft (who was that he drafted?) but his car drifted up the banking most likely due to old tires. Pretty boring race with the exception of the last 20-30 laps. Great production overall though with all the nastalgic pieces, interviews, etc. I'm very surprised, and fearful being a Chevy fan, of the apparent rise of Toyota. They look very strong and with a determined, yet immature 22-yr. old behind the wheel of one of Joe Gibbs' cars (Kyle Busch), I look for that team to really challenge the Hendricks stable this season.

Redskins247 02-18-2008 01:34 PM

[QUOTE=jsarno;423518]I was surprised as to how the COT has levelled the playing field with GM and the rest of the world. Dodge had an amazing showing, and Toyota did the best they ever did.[/QUOTE]

Dodge really finished strong...but other than Kurt Busch and Kane showing up near the front for brief stints, I hadn't seen any of them all day. I really think that most of this year will be the Gibbs team vs. the Hendricks team...wouldn't surprise me if all 7 drivers made the chase. The COT car definitely puts more in the drivers hands, so the best drivers will rise to the top...regardless of what type of car they're in.

BDBohnzie 02-18-2008 05:55 PM

[QUOTE=canthetuna;423502]really? I never watch nascar, but with jg racing going to toyota, and seeing as how I love Joe, Toyota, Home Depot, and M and Ms... I figured I'd watch. I was not disappointed. I saw the last 47 laps.

but im really new at the racing thing. i liked it though it looked great in hd.[/QUOTE]

Good thing you watched just the last 47 laps...as the first 153 were fairly uneventful...

Kyle Busch had probably the strongest car of the day, however Tony was fighting off 2 teammates at the end, and they got a huge push and got past Tony...he was also on the high line, and mentioned that he had a tough time on the high line all day. He dropped down to try and hook up with Kyle Busch for one last push, but they couldn't get it done.

EternalEnigma21 02-18-2008 07:37 PM

[quote=BDBohnzie;423706]Good thing you watched just the last 47 laps...as the first 153 were fairly uneventful...

Kyle Busch had probably the strongest car of the day, however Tony was fighting off 2 teammates at the end, and they got a huge push and got past Tony...he was also on the high line, and mentioned that he had a tough time on the high line all day. He dropped down to try and hook up with Kyle Busch for one last push, but they couldn't get it done.[/quote]

well I'm a racing noob, but it seemed to me like he could've tried to stay in front of the blue cars and they would've pushed him into the win. It looked like he just bailed out of the way.

cpayne5 02-18-2008 07:57 PM

Tony was outnumbered when he was running up high. Yes, Kurt Busch and Ryan Newman were behind him, but they were teammates (read, drafting partners). They could have passed Tony easily. Tony's only chance was to get his own drafting partner - Kyle Busch. Unfortunately, it didn't work out and the two Penske cars rolled on by the two JGR cars. Ryan Newman is a good guy, though, so it's OK. :)

jsarno 02-18-2008 10:12 PM

Well, Newman won cause his teammate was OK with coming in 2nd. No JGR racer won cause they wanted to win more than be a teammate.
I'd have to wager that Joe Gibbs will bring that up at some point.

BDBohnzie 02-19-2008 09:49 AM

I think we'll see a pattern of teamwork this year evolve once drivers realize that it's going to take teammates to win races with these new cars. The egos at JGR are going to have to get over themselves to win races. Junior had a pretty strong car as well, but in the end he was by himself as Gordon, Johnson and Cal Naught...I mean Mears were all 3 either off the track or way out of contention.

Kurt Busch said in the post-race article that up until the very end, he was looking for a window to pass Newman. I don't think he was OK with coming in 2nd, but it's something he settled for since he couldn't pass Newman.