Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Age as a factor? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=1226)

SKINS73 05-11-2004 03:23 PM

Age as a factor?

I know that I'm not the only one who has thought of this... time for me to play devil’s advocate. While I'm as excited as the next Redskin fan about the Gibbs return, is there anyone else who is concerned with his age? Do you honestly think he will renew his contract after it expires? Take a look around at other older coaches. I am a diehard Penn State football fan, and while Joe Paterno is a coaching legend I believe his age has played a role in his decision making capabilities - we have since fallen from the elite of college football teams. No one is going to tell Joe Pa to step down. What if the same happens here in Washington? Remember Landry's last days in Dallas? Remember the old, "I thought it was third down." line when he called a play for a run up the middle on 4th and 9? Don't get me wrong. I think Gibbs will bring glory back to Washington, but how long will he be around before we're playing musical coaches again? There really aren’t any young assistants to take the helm. Even if a good assistant emerges Snyder will just dig deep to get the coach with the most recognizable name. Just my two cents… Ok, I am ready for my thrashing.

raleighskinsfan 05-11-2004 03:37 PM

I hear what you're saying Skins73, but is it just me, or does Gibbs seem to be a young 63? Bottomline, I'll take 3-5 years of Gibbs over anyone available, period. Also, I don't think anyone would ever have to ask Gibbs to step down- If he's not a success within 3 years or so, I believe he'll step down on his own. I personally think he'll be just as successful as he was the first time around b/c the values he teaches are ageless, and he has surrounded himself with the best the league has to offer in terms of coaching and Snyder has went out and got the type players he wants.... Keep in mind, it could be SO much worse! What if we had another season of "Marty-ball" to look forward to??? I was so sick of 4 yard passes on 3rd and 8 from Schottenheimer that I almost cut back flips when we hired Spurrier. That, unfortunately turned out to be a coach who thought he could block NFL pass rushing schemes with college blocking schemes. We all saw how that turned out. We now have a season of old school, smash mouth football ahead of us. Redskin football the way I remembered it growing up. Teams that had solid line play, a committment to the run, and so important but often overlooked, an emphasis on special teams.
Whenever questions like you posed come up, I always like to remind myself "It could be much worse!!!!"

Defensewins 05-11-2004 03:59 PM

Gibbs has a very strong work ethic. Everything he does, he does well. A winner as the Redskins coach and a winner in Nascar.
Gibbs gave up a promising career as a raquetball or squash player (I don't remember which) to become Redskins coach back in 1981. He was the #1 or #2 ranked professional in the U.S. in this sport. While not a huge money making sport, he was very successful.
He is not some over-weight loud mouth coach. He works very hard and like raleighskinsfan says, he is a very young 63.

Carnage 05-11-2004 04:02 PM

In this day and age, players seem to respond to old school coaches. I think that the skins might well react the way that Dallas did. We have real talent, veterans, and a bad taste in our mouth. I think the players will buy into Gibbs' way of doing things.

Gmanc711 05-11-2004 04:05 PM

Gibbs is only 63, while Paterno is, I belive 78. Take what Joe Paterno was 15 years ago, and I think 63 is just a fine age to be coaching football.

Skins fan 44 05-11-2004 04:30 PM

I dont think he will stay past 5 years. To tell you the truth I dont care. I am just trilled to have him now. I couldnt agree more on who else would do a better job than him. Does he have to to work as hard as he once did? No I would be happy with him working half as much or even putting in the same amount as the ole ball coach, or even just showing up on game day. He dont have to put in that much time with all of his good coaches. But in all honesty he will and dont be suprised if the cot is back every now and then. I dont think Pat will like that, so maybe not. Hopefully the next time he hangs it up we will be in better shape and with him being the president maybe he will stay longer. I think he will be around even after he is done coaching. HE IS A TRUE REDSKIN!!!

SKINSnCANES 05-11-2004 04:56 PM

Its true that we dont have a very young coaching staff. hell some of them game out of retirement to coach with Gibbs. Its definitly a system in place to win now. Mabye Williams will become a headcoach again. Im not to worried about it, DC needed Gibbs, we needed the fan support to go back up and bring everyone together again. Gibbs will put back the integrity that has been takien away since the Cooks left.

Daseal 05-11-2004 05:35 PM

I don't see Gibbs making idiot calls, however he is getting older and no one can deny that. What happens if he has a sudden heart attack (please no!) who takes over? I'm just hoping that during his second reign as coach that he grooms someone (Williams?) to be a very good head coach.

jthor99 05-11-2004 07:34 PM

i also dont think Gibbs will be here for than 5 years. In 2006 we will be about 20 million over the cap i can honestly only see him staying about 3 or 4 years i could be wrong but that just my opinion. He will have his sucess and step down and go down as one of the best coaches ever not that he already isn't

BrudLee 05-11-2004 07:35 PM

He's also had 12 years away from football, which would certainly give him time to recharge his batteries. He's shown more enthusiasm for the game in the past few months than I can remember seeing from any coach at that level, regardless of age.

Should we be concerned for five years down the line? Hell, I'm concerned for September. We've been to the playoffs once in the past 10 years. We are the Cardinals of the East. Right now, I'm just worried about 2004-05.

SKINSnCANES 05-11-2004 08:23 PM

[QUOTE=jthor99]i also dont think Gibbs will be here for than 5 years. In 2006 we will be about 20 million over the cap i can honestly only see him staying about 3 or 4 years i could be wrong but that just my opinion. He will have his sucess and step down and go down as one of the best coaches ever not that he already isn't[/QUOTE]

I cant see Gibbs just leaving because the going gets tough. Hes going ot leave in an honorable way. Playing out his contract is one good way to do that, but I cant see him leaving us in a bad position, that wouldnt be in his character.

Daseal 05-11-2004 09:25 PM

Don't expect to see us 20 mil over the cap. Restructuring and a HUGE HUGE HUGE cap increase in 05 will help relieve the pain.

lifetimeskin 05-11-2004 10:28 PM

Gibbs will do his 5 years and retire, health aside. He will be 68 by then. I agree with most of you, I hope he grooms a coach to take over. However, we thought that Richie was groomed, and John Cooke let him go after one year. So......I think we will be in the market for a coach in 4-5 years. If Danny lets him go before then, I will turn in my tix!

sportscurmudgeon 05-11-2004 11:53 PM

Three reasons why Gibbs should be here for a full five years - and maybe even a couple beyond that - and be very successful:

1. He delegates authority to competent assistants so he does not have to be fussing over each and every detail of every aspect of the team. He focues his detailed attention to areas that need work.

2. He is a disciplinarian who will weed the team down to players who want to play in the kind of enviroment he provides. He understands that fighting with players who don't want to be in that kind of system is wasted energy.

3. He is adaptable. His teams played with game plans that were aimed toward maximizing the strengths of the roster and toward hiding the weaknesses.

Three reasons why Gibbs might not be here for his full five years and why he might not be as successful as people might think:

1. He is a diabetic. Diabetes is not curable and it CAN lead to other serious health problems. Diabetes can be controlled in a football environment. But if his diabetes leads to kidney failure and dialysis is the necessary treatment, it is unlikely that Gibbs could coach under those conditions. Diabetes can also lead to heart disease and some neurological disorders. Chances are this will be controlled, but at age 63, you have to recognize that this is a potential danger.

2. He is a disciplinarian. If he can't get 45 guys on the roster to buy into his system - including 100% of the starters - there could be problems after a year or so.

3. If the Redskins improve next year to 9-7 (just to pick a figure here for argument's sake) and EVERYONE here in THE WARPATH and in the press says that this is 100% Joe Gibbs' doing, will Danny Boy stand aside and allow all the accolades to go somewhere other than to Danny Boy? Or will he "exert his own will" next off season and maybe sign someone Gibbs does not want? If that happens, then all bets are off. My guess is Gibbs takes a hike and half the staff walks with him. Don't tell me it can't happen. You can wish that it won't happen, but it can...

Carnage 05-11-2004 11:57 PM

I dont' know about you guys, but I thought Williams was the obvious sucessor.