Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Official Skins sign Patten thread (merged) (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=5073)

Defensewins 03-04-2005 10:48 AM

Re: Patten Signing

[QUOTE=Monksdown]Yeah the Smoot thing. I really like his character too. I can deal with not resigning him. But i dont want to get an equivalent cornerback for more or even the same amount. Either we go elite, or maybe we draft and work from within. Again, I leave it in the hands of Gregg and the defensive boys.[/QUOTE]

Good point. Whatever will save us some money and gets us a servicable CB.
We actually already have another proven, very talented CB on our roster Walt Harris. He was still recovering from a knee injury last year, but still played OK last year. He is injury free, signed and ready to go. Lets not break the bank on a CB or any player this year.

TheMalcolmConnection 03-04-2005 10:51 AM

Re: Official Skins sign Patten thread (merged)

After seeing the way the team is handling things so far, I have a lot of faith in how the CB situation will be handled as well.

Redskins_P 03-04-2005 10:56 AM

I have faith in Gregg Williams, and if he thinks we have enough depth at LB, CB, and Safety then I'll take his word for it.

offiss 03-04-2005 04:06 PM

Re: Skins sign Patten

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]We have a big possession type of guy to go to, his name is Chris Cooley.

We had a big possession guy the last few years in Gardner, where did that get us?[/QUOTE]

I Like Cooley a lot but that's what TE's / H-back's do, and let's face it with Gardner you actually have to catch the ball to possess it, so I don't believe Gardner qualifies. :)

BigSKINBauer 03-04-2005 09:22 PM

Re: Skins sign Patten

[QUOTE=Daseal]He averaged 18 yards per catch in a DIFFERENT OFFENSE. What do you think Coles YPC would have been as a Patriot?[/QUOTE]

i agree but 18.2 is much above the average for wr, he is number 3 in yards per catch with anyone with over 40 catches. he had fewer catches but a reason for that is because he is not a number 1 and because the patriots spread the ball well.
Just for kicks and giggles the number 1 and 2 with over 40 are Ashley Lelie
and Santana Moss. Not to bad names!!
I just hope that he fits well and it seems that he is good when he gets open

MTK 03-04-2005 11:07 PM

Gotta love Patten's press conference, he's going to be a very valuable vet in our locker room and on the field. If he can bring some of that New England magic over here our WR's will be in great shape!

[url]http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=6047[/url]

[quote]"I don't believe in making predictions because I don't know what the future holds, but one thing I promise you is that I am going to give this team, this organization and this city my 100 percent effort. I give you everything I have and you can take that to the bank." [/quote]

KLHJ2 03-04-2005 11:32 PM

For once matty you and I see eye to eye

mooby 03-04-2005 11:42 PM

i think this is a positive move. while i am not against signing big names like plaxico burress, we seem to have done that in recent years and look at our record. gibbs is thinking like belichick, signing no name players that make a big impact. i would've liked to see plaxico as our #2 wideout, but hey, we haven't been successfull in the past signing big names. plus plaxico burress said that the reason he didn't want to be back in pittsburgh is because they have a run oriented offense and he wants to go to place where they are pass oriented. we are not a pass oriented team. the skins will be run oriented until joe gibbs leaves. as for our middle linebacker situation, i would love to see ed hartwell in that position, but i guess not. im not sure how lemar marshall will do, because he's kinda small for a middle linebacker, and that could affect his ability. i would love to see samari rolle and shawn springs as starting cornerbacks, but i wouldn't care if it was rolle or smoot. i hope we draft mike williams, he's the kind of wideout we need. i just hope that 8 other teams don't take him before us.

KLHJ2 03-04-2005 11:47 PM

Welcome to the WARPATH mooby.

mooby 03-04-2005 11:56 PM

thanks angryssg. i joined a redskins forum a while back, but it didn't have a lot of members and nobody was very active. hopefully this place will be active. i don't think we need to upgrade a tight end. chris cooley is dependable. he showed that last year. didn't he have like five touchdown catches. as far as linebacker goes, lemar marshall should fill the spot. with two pro bowlers covering the outside (arrington, washington) they can probably help him become dependable.

KLHJ2 03-05-2005 12:00 AM

[QUOTE=mooby]thanks angryssg. i joined a redskins forum a while back, but it didn't have a lot of members and nobody was very active. hopefully this place will be active. i don't think we need to upgrade a tight end. chris cooley is dependable. he showed that last year. didn't he have like five touchdown catches. as far as linebacker goes, lemar marshall should fill the spot. with two pro bowlers covering the outside (arrington, washington) they can probably help him become dependable.[/QUOTE]

The argrument here is that Cooley is not a TE, he is a H back which serves a different role than a TE in Gibbs offense.

mooby 03-05-2005 12:11 AM

i think cooley is better at tight end. he is dependable at catching the ball in important situations. he is a good h-back but i think we should just let rock cartwright do that.

KLHJ2 03-05-2005 12:18 AM

[QUOTE=mooby]i think cooley is better at tight end. he is dependable at catching the ball in important situations. he is a good h-back but i think we should just let rock cartwright do that.[/QUOTE]

I like cartwright and believe that he can play either running back or H back to a point. He has alot of talent. The only thing is this is not madden football. Cooley is not a blocking TE so he is shot in Gibbs offense in that position. Cartwright does not have the size to play H back in Gibbs offense. That is why he is a running back. They both are good players and have the rest of the intangeables, but it is because of those reasons that they are playing the positions that they did last season.