Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2021 NFL Draft Day!! (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64831)

Monkeydad 05-03-2021 02:06 PM

Re: 2021 NFL Draft Day!!

[quote=MissouriSkin;1283110]Oh and there was another guy on Extreme demanding Ron and the whole front office be fired because we used a 6th round pick on a long snapper and he had Cheeseman rated as an UDFA. Called it the worst pick in NFL history. 🤷*♂️🤦*♂️[/quote]

There was a run on Longsnappers when we grabbed him.

Cincy drafted a Kicker in the 5th!

MissouriSkin 05-03-2021 02:26 PM

[quote=Monkeydad;1283118]There was a run on Longsnappers when we grabbed him.

Cincy drafted a Kicker in the 5th![/quote]

I mean...it’s the 6th round and apparently is like the highest rated long snapper coming out of college ever. Seems worth a pick. Remember when we drafted Andre Johnson in the first to play LT and he never played a down for us? I do. That guy on Extreme and a guy here need to work on perspective.

EdmundDorf 05-03-2021 02:27 PM

[quote=Monkeydad;1283118]There was a run on Longsnappers when we grabbed him.

Cincy drafted a Kicker in the 5th![/quote]

That's a pretty low bar :)

MTK 05-03-2021 02:49 PM

I'm definitely not going to cry over using a 6th rounder on a long snapper. In rounds 6 & 7 you're mostly looking for special teamers anyway and occasionally maybe you hit big on a hidden gem. And if he's our long snapper for the next 10 years is anyone going to look back and care about using a 6th on him? Please.

Pervis_Griffith 05-03-2021 04:01 PM

[quote=Pervis_Griffith;1283004]Rumor has it that our long snapper had the best athletic figure of all the long snappers in the NFL since the measurement was created.[/quote]

We joked about how athletic our LS was. But check this out ... from the linked article:

[I]A gifted athlete who also lettered in baseball, Cheeseman has graded among the most athletic in recent history at his position[/I].

:D:D:D:D

[url]https://riggosrag.com/2021/05/03/camaron-cheeseman-washington-football-teams-interesting-pick/[/url]

Chief X_Phackter 05-03-2021 07:14 PM

I think it was a great draft. When I look at the roster now, the only thing that is glaring at the moment is the fact that there probably isn't a long term answer at QB on the roster. However, it was at least addressed this offseason. All the other position groups have been strengthened too in my opinion. Of course it's all on paper right now, we just have to hope the majority of them pan out.

I think it's important to remember that you can't really call any of these picks a reach unless you have access to where they were ranked on the WFT board. I could be mistaken, but I doubt anyone on here has that access. All these prospects were ranked all over the place, depending on where you looked. Maybe the only player that always had the same ranking leading up to the draft, no matter where you looked, was Trevor Lawrence. For example, I saw Walker Little ranked as low as 154, and he was selected 45. Was that a reach? Both JOK and Moehrig were ranked in the top 20 on some sites, and they ended up being picked in the 2nd round, 40s and 50s. So those are steals right? Maybe, but none of these dudes has played a down yet, so maybe we should just wait and see what happens on the field...

Feel free to bash the picks if you want because some players were ranked lower on various draft boards than where they were picked, but it goes back to Bill Tobin's sentiment in the 90s: "Who the hell is Mel Kiper?"

Really, the only thing that matters is where the WFT had them ranked - whatever their reasons were.

I'm good with the entire draft, even the long snapper.

FrenchSkin 05-03-2021 07:24 PM

[quote=Chief X_Phackter;1283141]I think it was a great draft. When I look at the roster now, the only thing that is glaring at the moment is the fact that there probably isn't a long term answer at QB on the roster. However, it was at least addressed this offseason. All the other position groups have been strengthened too in my opinion. Of course it's all on paper right now, we just have to hope the majority of them pan out.

I think it's important to remember that you can't really call any of these picks a reach unless you have access to where they were ranked on the WFT board. I could be mistaken, but I doubt anyone on here has that access. All these prospects were ranked all over the place, depending on where you looked. Maybe the only player that always had the same ranking leading up to the draft, no matter where you looked, was Trevor Lawrence. For example, I saw Walker Little ranked as low as 154, and he was selected 45. Was that a reach? Both JOK and Moehrig were ranked in the top 20 on some sites, and they ended up being picked in the 2nd round, 40s and 50s. So those are steals right? Maybe, but none of these dudes has played a down yet, so maybe we should just wait and see what happens on the field...

Feel free to bash the picks if you want because some players were ranked lower on various draft boards than where they were picked, but it goes back to Bill Tobin's sentiment in the 90s: "Who the hell is Mel Kiper?"

[B]Really, the only thing that matters is where the WFT had them ranked - whatever their reasons were. [/B]

I'm good with the entire draft, even the long snapper.[/quote]

THIS ! People paid full time all year to evaluate those guy are wrong half the time, so I don't give much thought on fans analysis based on some highlights and (maybe) a couple of games.
Where I particularly trust Ron and Cie is doing due diligence on the character part of the guys they drafted.

AnonEmouse 05-04-2021 06:18 AM

Agreed, any analysis is knee jerk and only proven over a 2-3 year term (or longer if we're lucky). I like to see the ratings simply because it's indicative of how hopeful we can be. An A now could be a B in 12 months or even a C, a B could be an A or a C. If we rate a C or below now I'd be a little worried, but a B makes me cautiously optimistic.

At this stage I'm not critical of any of the picks and I'm not bothered about the BPA/need argument as no theory about the draft has ever proven totally reliable; if it was everyone would stick to it. Only thing more I'd like to have seen out of this draft is more depth at LB and Tackle, but if the talent wasn't there when we picked, I'm OK with who they got. Nobody looks like a total bust at this point.