Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   If We Do Not Select QB at #10....... (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=41542)

Ruhskins 02-18-2011 04:04 PM

Re: If We Do Not Select QB at #10.......

[quote=Chico23231;785183]The NT position doesnt have a first round star, but there is some real quality talent in it. I would be thrilled grab someone from that group.[/quote]

We should pick Phil Taylor with the 2nd rounder. Although I would like for the team to pick up Soliai in free agency, and maybe pick up a NT in the later round. Especially if Bryant is as good as he was towards the end of the season.

PHazard 02-19-2011 02:02 PM

So the General Consensus is regardless of what we want, if Blaine Gabbert or Cam Newton are there at #10 Shahanan is gonna take him right? K. While this is a deep class, its a deep class for potential, not for definite producers. I feel like there are more Boom or Bust players in this draft then in recent drafts. After QB, our needs are as follows in order (because of our draft position and who is available) OLB, DE, CB, OL, WR, NT, FS

OLB- I highly doubt Von Miller drops to us, but we said the same thing about Brian Orakpo so nothing is certain. Even so, He is on the smaller side and i think his pash rush is going to be more limited at the pro level facing much more skilled/larger OTs. Plus, can he hold up for a 16 or 18 game season at his size battling in the trenches?
Then there is Robert Quinn. Looked like he had a lot of potential as a sophmore (off-field concerns aside). Now he has been off for a year, so u have to make sure hes still in playing shape (i believe at the combine he will prove that he is), and if you look at his tape sophmore year, yeah, he put up good numbers, but over half his sacks came against far inferior talent. Then u add the aspect of the dreaded "Lets move a college 4-3 DE to a 3-4 OLB." If OLB is the way we go i would take Quinn over Miller. Seems like a safer pick. Akeem Ayers, if we trade down

DE - I see most mock drafts have us taking DE Cameron Jordan if they already have Blaine Gabbert & Cam Newton off the board. I have no problem with this pick, its not a sexy pick but it would be a safe one. Cameron Jordan is great with his hands, doesnt have the speed to be a great Pass rusher around the edge but keeps great leverage and has an awesome bull rush. We could also kick him in at DT in Nickel & Dime packages. We could do that with another player in Marcell Dareus. I doubt he slips to us but he would also be great value at 10. JJ Watt is another dominating 3-4 DE. If Shanahans go with the safe but not sexy pick, this would at least be the position. Trade down option: Adrian Clayborn. I DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT wanna see Ryan Kerrigan in a Redskins uniform next year under any 1st round circumstances.

CB - With Carlos Rogers thinking hes worth more than he is, and DeAngelo Hall letting up the 2nd most yards of any CB in the league (that makes him 62nd out of 64 possible starting corners), this position has become a huge concern. Everyone knows how great Patrick Peterson and Prince Amukamara are so i wont go into detail but i highly doubt either slip to us. Jimmy Smith is not worth the #10 pick but would be a possible Trade down option.

OL -Simply NO offensive lineman worth a #10 pick in this draft. We could reach but we're drafting at #10 for a reason, with so lil draft picks, we cant afford to reach. Trade down option: All 1st round Olineman (Costanzo, Solder, Smith, Carimi, Pouncey, etc.)

WR - AJ Green does not fall to us. No one here likes Julio Jones as a #1 WR prospect? Hmmmmm....Im a fan of Julio Jones, will be interesting to see his agility and speed drills at the combine to see if he is worth a #10 pick.

People need to stop worrying about Jake Locker at #10. No one is gonna even consider him till pick #25. He is a trade down option or we might be able to grab Locker in the 2nd round. Kaepernick and Ponder will also be in play there if we didnt grab Gabbert or Newton at #10.

Follow me on Twitter @Mr_Redskins for the lastest Redskins News and Opinions.

PHazard 02-19-2011 02:04 PM

I guess that would make my list

Blaine Gabbert/Cam Newton
Robert Quinn
Marcell Dareus
Cameron Jordan
JJ Watt
Peterson/Amukamara
OL
Julio Jones

NC_Skins 02-19-2011 03:07 PM

No QB worth drafting at the #10 spot (certainly not Newton) so I hope we go with DL or OLB. That Miller kid was getting owned by the tackle from Nebraska so I imagine he'd be useless in the NFL at pass rushing at his weight.

Shadowbyte 02-19-2011 03:50 PM

From the way it's looking now Cam Newton won't be around at # 10. At this point I say we trade down and see if we can procure some more picks.

BuckSkin 02-19-2011 04:41 PM

I would be more than pleased to trade down, but I'm afraid we'll be unable to find a trading partner. If you look around at the teams ahead of us most of them are thinking the same thing to fill holes. #10 is a good trading spot because of the drop off in salary, but the compensation is the same.

rypper11 02-20-2011 02:02 PM

I'd like to get Cameron Jordan @10 even if there is qb's available. He's ready to start as a 3-4 RE now. Phil Taylor (NT, Baylor) in the second round and then best available OLB, ILB, FS and CB to round out the draft. IMO, a defensive heavy draft this year to go with some good key young guys already on the roster (Jarmon, Barnes, Bryant, Carriker and Rob Jackson) and studs Landry and Orakpo is the best way to go.
We obviously didn't have 3-4 personnel before we made the change and it cost the 2010 season.

SkinzWin 02-20-2011 02:12 PM

[quote=rypper11;785339]I'd like to get Cameron Jordan @10 even if there is qb's available. He's ready to start as a 3-4 RE now. Phil Taylor (NT, Baylor) in the second round and then best available OLB, ILB, FS and CB to round out the draft. IMO, a defensive heavy draft this year to go with some good key young guys already on the roster (Jarmon, Barnes, Bryant, Carriker and Rob Jackson) and studs Landry and Orakpo is the best way to go.
We obviously didn't have 3-4 personnel before we made the change and it cost the 2010 season.[/quote]

How about a project QB in the mid to late rounds? I would like to add that to the list, but other than that I agree. Except I'd take Von Miller over Jordan if he was still there at 10.

CultBrennan59 02-20-2011 03:05 PM

[quote=rypper11;785339]I'd like to get [B]Cameron Jordan[/B] @10 even if there is qb's available. He's ready to start as a 3-4 RE now. Phil Taylor (NT, Baylor) in the second round and then best available OLB, ILB, FS and CB to round out the draft. IMO, a defensive heavy draft this year to go with some good key young guys already on the roster (Jarmon, Barnes, Bryant, Carriker and Rob Jackson) and studs Landry and Orakpo is the best way to go.
We obviously didn't have 3-4 personnel before we made the change and it cost the 2010 season.[/quote]

Why is everyone so high on this guy? He seems like another Adam Carriker, just getting noticed after senior bowl, type of prospect.

And to the other comment. I say if we don't get a QB in the first or second round this year, then don't bother getting one until next year, because after Newton Mallet Gabbert and Locker, the QB's in this years class suck. Yes even Andy the ginger Dalton isn't pro ready IMO, he's a backup in the NFL at best.

SBXVII 02-20-2011 03:19 PM

I'd take NT, a DE/LB, or RT, or C. Basically DL or OL it doesn't matter in which order so long as the team takes BPA at one of those needs.

Then I'd take that "shitty" QB Dalton or the other "shitty" QB Ponder in the second round. Honestly it doesn't matter who we take at QB. The only QB to know the system well enough is Grossman. Even one of the best QB's couldn't understand the whole system in one offseason (McNabb) so I doubt whoever is brought in is going to start right away.

The team might as well beef up the OL so no matter who is at QB they are not running for their life or getting it almost every play.

PHazard 02-20-2011 05:02 PM

[quote=rypper11;785339]I'd like to get Cameron Jordan @10 even if there is qb's available. He's ready to start as a 3-4 RE now. Phil Taylor (NT, Baylor) in the second round and then best available [B]OLB, ILB, FS and CB to round out the draft. IMO, a defensive heavy draft this year to go with some good key young guys already on the roster (Jarmon, Barnes, Bryant, Carriker and Rob Jackson) and studs Landry and Orakpo is the best way to go. [/B]

The pick really comes down to Marcell Dareus/Robert Quinn/Cameron Jordan if AJ Green and the QBs are off the board and we can't trade down. I dont agree with a defensive heavy draft. Our Defense, in part, played so poorly due to the fact they were ALWAYS on the field cuz our offense was inept. We couldnt run, didnt have WRs who could beat press, our QB was looking for the deep ball instead of progressing thru reads and we couldnt convert on 3rd down. We need OL, WR, and QB to go with OLB, DE, FS.

We dont need a RB cause i have trust in Torain/Davis/Williams. Especially Davis once he cleans up his Pass Protection. TE is set. I dont think ILB is a pressing need cuz Perry Riley looked leaps and bounds better than Rocky McIntosh in there. You just have to go BPA with all the spots we have to fill. I believe the Shanahans, if not in the 1st round, will trade back more than once.

Follow me on Twitter @Mr_Redskins for the latest Redskins news and opinions.

rypper11 02-20-2011 07:53 PM

[quote=CultBrennan59;785344]Why is everyone so high on this guy? He seems like another Adam Carriker, just getting noticed after senior bowl, type of prospect.

And to the other comment. I say if we don't get a QB in the first or second round this year, then don't bother getting one until next year, because after Newton Mallet Gabbert and Locker, the QB's in this years class suck. Yes even Andy the ginger Dalton isn't pro ready IMO, he's a backup in the NFL at best.[/quote]

A starting line of Carriker, Taylor (not drafted yet) and Jordan would be very unglamorous but solid and very hard to run on. They should also free up even average LB's to make plays.

Your assessment of the QB and mine are the same. I'd rather have a season of Rexy (or a McNabb wanting to prove everyone wrong) over a Dalton or someone similar bumbling along. Isn't Beck a project?

SkinzWin 02-20-2011 08:19 PM

[quote=rypper11;785357]A starting line of Carriker, Taylor (not drafted yet) and Jordan would be very unglamorous but solid and very hard to run on. They should also free up even average LB's to make plays.

Your assessment of the QB and mine are the same. I'd rather have a season of Rexy (or a McNabb wanting to prove everyone wrong) over a Dalton or someone similar bumbling along. [B]Isn't Beck a project?[/B][/quote]

Not IMO. He is depth. Big difference. I don't see anyone in the organization making a push to develop his as a long term starter for this team. Let's face it, QB's are big hits or misses in this league. I say if you can get a QB in the mid to late rounds with projected upside, go for it. Look at Brady. Worked out for the Patriots nicely, didn't it?

CultBrennan59 02-20-2011 10:55 PM

[quote=rypper11;785357]A starting line of Carriker, Taylor (not drafted yet) and Jordan would be very unglamorous but solid and very hard to run on. They should also free up even average LB's to make plays.

Your assessment of the QB and mine are the same. I'd rather have a season of Rexy (or a McNabb wanting to prove everyone wrong) over a Dalton or someone similar bumbling along. Isn't Beck a project?[/quote]

I would take Cameron Heyward, possibly JJ Watt, and Marcell Dareus over Jordan. I haven't seen much tape on Wilkerson of Temple, but I hear he's a beast.

But honestly, I wouldn't even take a DE with the 10th overall pick. I'd go for a CB WR or trading with NE getting some of there picks. This draft has a lot of great DL WRs and interior OLineman, which is what we need. So if we could I'd just get both of New England's first round picks I'd take like a Heyward and a Phil Taylor.

rypper11 02-21-2011 08:14 AM

[quote=CultBrennan59;785367]So if we could I'd just get both of New England's first round picks I'd take like a Heyward and a Phil Taylor.[/quote]

Or even their own first and Carolina's second for the 10 spot. But who'd they want to trade up for? Picks 28, 33 and 41 should give us NT, DE and OLB that should all immediately start but I don't think the Pats have a desire to jump up to 10.

Lotus 02-21-2011 11:25 AM

[quote=rypper11;785339]I'd like to get Cameron Jordan @10 even if there is qb's available. He's ready to start as a 3-4 RE now. Phil Taylor (NT, Baylor) in the second round and then best available OLB, ILB, FS and CB to round out the draft. IMO, a defensive heavy draft this year to go with some good key young guys already on the roster (Jarmon, Barnes, Bryant, Carriker and Rob Jackson) and studs Landry and Orakpo is the best way to go.

Now here is a great comment. rypper intelligently wants to build our defensive line.

Last year's draft was tilted towards the offense. I think this year's should be tilted towards defense.

Monkeydad 02-21-2011 12:12 PM

[quote=rypper11;785357]Your assessment of the QB and mine are the same. I'd rather have a season of Rexy (or a McNabb wanting to prove everyone wrong) over a Dalton or someone similar bumbling along. Isn't Beck a project?[/quote]

Beck has started and shown what he can do. He's a backup at the highest, but if he needs to play, it won't be a disaster.

diehard 02-21-2011 12:42 PM

[quote=Buster;785424]Beck has started and shown what he can do. He's a backup at the highest, but if he needs to play, it won't be a disaster.[/quote]It can't get much worse, that's for sure.

musicmaster45 02-21-2011 02:18 PM

Yea of course IF AJ Green is there i would snap him up. I would also like Miller to compliment Orakapo. In the later rounds we need to address kicker, lets try for nebraskas kicker who is the most accurate and college history and a free saftey if OJ isn't signing with us. No one has even scratched the surface of sean taylor's spot.

Shadowbyte 02-22-2011 12:46 AM

Based on his best plays it's apparent that Blaine Gabbert is better in the shotgun then being under center. However I do like his quick release and he has above average mobility. The one thing I noticed is his deep balls get there in a hurry, I wouldn't object at all to drafting this guy.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW69HWngSdk&playnext=1&list=PL634FC05754C414E0]YouTube - Missouri QB #11 Blaine Gabbert Highlights[/url]

30gut 02-22-2011 10:25 AM

[quote=Buster;785424]Beck has started and shown what he can do. He's a backup at the highest, but if he needs to play, it won't be a disaster.[/quote]

To be fair Beck only started 4 games as [I][B]rookie[/B][/I] on a terrible Dolphins team.
If you pro-rate his numbers during that 4 game stint over a season he would have numbers in the same realm as Mark Sanchez and Josh Freeman's rookie seasons.
I'm not commenting to say that he's good or bad; just that we don't know and can't really say.

MTK 02-22-2011 10:45 AM

Jim Miller was commenting on Beck the other day on NFL Radio and he was actually pretty supportive of him and said he has all the tools you look for and is a smart guy.

He also said whether he gets a shot and is able to put it all together remains to be seen.

gldnju 02-22-2011 02:46 PM

Von miller!

backrow 02-22-2011 03:59 PM

LaVarr's picks!

[url=http://voices.washingtonpost.com/hard-hits/2011/02/if_i_were_in_charge_of_the_red.html]Hard Hits with LaVar Arrington - If I were in charge of the Redskins' draft plans ...[/url]

MTK 02-22-2011 04:13 PM

Sounds like LaVar needs to lay off the Madden.

skinsfaninok 02-22-2011 04:32 PM

[quote=Mattyk;785627]Sounds like LaVar needs to lay off the Madden.[/quote]

Lavar has always said stupid shit. Hankerson is a nice player but we need a QB of the future, We can get a FA WR in the off season.

Chico23231 02-22-2011 07:12 PM

[quote=Mattyk;785627]Sounds like LaVar needs to lay off the Madden.[/quote]

Needs to lay off the thinking.

SkinzWin 02-22-2011 08:23 PM

[quote=Chico23231;785679]Needs to lay off the thinking.[/quote]

Insert the word blow, in place of thinking, and you are getting warmer.

iRepDMV 02-22-2011 08:26 PM

I say with the 10th overall pick we select Von Miller. If hes not there then we go with Robert Quinn. Then we should draft Phil Taylor in the 2nd Rd. If we jus happen to trade haynesworth or mcnabb and get a 3rd and 4th rounder, we select our "future QB" and an offensive lineman.

SkinzWin 02-22-2011 09:36 PM

^^bingo. Golf clap to the new guy. Welcome by the way. Can you get me a discount on a license plate renewal?? Or free personalized tags?!

PHazard 02-22-2011 10:32 PM

[quote=iRepDMV;785695]I say with the 10th overall pick we select Von Miller. If hes not there then we go with Robert Quinn. Then we should draft Phil Taylor in the 2nd Rd. If we jus happen to trade haynesworth or mcnabb and get a 3rd and 4th rounder, we select our "future QB" and an offensive lineman.[/quote]

Easier said then done. No new CBA = No trades.

Terpfan76 02-23-2011 10:27 AM

[quote=iRepDMV;785695]I say with the 10th overall pick we select Von Miller. If hes not there then we go with Robert Quinn. Then we should draft Phil Taylor in the 2nd Rd. If we jus happen to trade haynesworth or mcnabb and get a 3rd and 4th rounder, we select our "future QB" and an offensive lineman.[/quote]

I pretty much agree also. I'm just not sure that this is the year to try and find a franchise qb. I'd rather fill other holes and draft a qb next year. Maybe a guy like Barkley or, depending on how terrible we are, Luck.

Also, depending on how he does at the combine/workouts, I'd still be interested in taking a shot on Mitch Mustain only as a undrafted free agent.

Dirtbag59 02-23-2011 12:51 PM

Lets go ACC this year! Quinn, Hudson, Ponder FTW!

iRepDMV 02-24-2011 06:35 PM

[quote=Terpfan76;785775]I pretty much agree also. [B]I'm just not sure that this is the year to try and find a franchise qb. I'd rather fill other holes and draft a qb next year.[/B] Maybe a guy like Barkley or, depending on how terrible we are, Luck.

Also, depending on how he does at the combine/workouts, I'd still be interested in taking a shot on Mitch Mustain only as a undrafted free agent.[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing, but alot of mock drafts have us taking a QB somewhere in this draft.

Chico23231 02-24-2011 08:38 PM

[quote=Terpfan76;785775]I pretty much agree also. [B]I'm just not sure that this is the year to try and find a franchise qb. I'd rather fill other holes and draft a qb next year. Maybe a guy like Barkley or, depending on how terrible we are, Luck.[/B]Also, depending on how he does at the combine/workouts, I'd still be interested in taking a shot on Mitch Mustain only as a undrafted free agent.[/quote]

Bingo. But I think Shanny feels pressure to get a QB now and get him in the system now rather than wait. I think the expectation is another 10+ loss season is not acceptable from anybody in the organization, and I think Shanny might be feeling pressure especially after the McNabb fiasco went down in flames. I absolutely cannot see Rexy or McNabb as the starter next year. Shanny needs to get in another vet under center OR if he feels Cam or Blaine can make a good pro, sh*t, take'm. BUT if he is taking someone at 10 and is not 100% sure this is the guy, by all means pass.

Mulligan is given with the McNabb situation, but if Shanny brings in a couple guys(vet, rookie) who are inept at QB...he wont be back in year 4.

diehard 02-24-2011 10:23 PM

[quote=SkinzWin;785701]^^bingo. Golf clap to the new guy. Welcome by the way. Can you get me a discount on a license plate renewal?? Or free personalized tags?![/quote]

D.C., Maryland, Virginia not Department of Motor Vehicles. Either way, that's funny.

CultBrennan59 02-25-2011 01:54 AM

Lombardi's mock draft has us taking Akeem Ayers of UCLA..
I like him, he reminds me of a young adalius thomas, but I don't think we'd be smart enough to get him.

Son Of Man 02-25-2011 10:57 AM

I'm warming to the thought of a pass rushing LB in the first and a Jake Locker in the second. But I don't think Locker will last past the late first.

MTK 02-25-2011 11:12 AM

I would love to see us grab a quality LB or DE at #10. We definitely need someone to help bring the heat along with Rak.

redsk1 02-25-2011 12:31 PM

I wouldn't be upset w/ a nose tackle/DE/LB. DE's seem a little hit or miss nowdays too. We've got so many areas of need, we just need to get the best guy available. We can't afford to miss on someone. This draft is so deep we should be able to pick up a great player at 10 or we if trade down there should be some talent in later rounds too.