Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Come up with a new name for the Redskins (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64635)

BaltimoreSkins 08-10-2021 01:55 PM

Re: Come up with a new name for the Redskins

When I look at the research on Native American imagery on the impact on Native American youth it is eye opening. That being said most of the problems were at the high school level and college level where a student would come out dressed up in a costume caricaturizing tribal culture and scalping the opponent at a pep rally or using the logo of the university on a t shirt depicting the mascot getting drunk for a frat party.

nonniey 08-10-2021 02:10 PM

[quote=SunnySide;1287111]This again ...

Would you call a NA a "redskin" to his or her face?

No? You wouldnt?

okay then.[/quote]

Would you tell 91% Native Americans that their opinions don't matter? Wait I guess you and along with your woke compadres actually did.

MissouriSkin 08-10-2021 02:17 PM

[quote=BaltimoreSkins;1287121]When I look at the research on Native American imagery on the impact on Native American youth it is eye opening. That being said most of the problems were at the high school level and college level where a student would come out dressed up in a costume caricaturizing tribal culture and scalping the opponent at a pep rally or using the logo of the university on a t shirt depicting the mascot getting drunk for a frat party.[/quote]

So? People do something like that to all kinds of other groups. It’s not evil. Hell I’m a well off smart guy who is white and Republican and was in the Army. I get called all sorts of stuff and people make all kinds of stereotypes about me and the world goes on. This whole bit of every word and action is inherently evil has just reached beyond stupid proportions.

SunnySide 08-10-2021 02:21 PM

[quote=nonniey;1287123]Would you tell 91% Native Americans that their opinions don't matter? Wait I guess you and along with your woke compadres actually did.[/quote]

To get this number, the Post’s polling team questioned 504 self-identified Native Americans from all 50 states. Given that I have 50 first cousins who are enrolled in the Navajo and Yankton Dakota Sioux Nations, none of whom likes the team name, I found the results to be curious. When I looked more closely at the methodology of the poll, I was appalled.

First and foremost, the Post states clearly that they did not verify the actual Native American identity or tribal enrollment of its respondents. Unlike most “minorities,” non-Native Americans have often declared themselves Native American with little or no factual evidence or cultural connection whatsoever. Furthermore, 56 percent of those asked said they were not part of any tribal nation or could not name what tribe their ancestors claimed. Imagine asking 500 white Americans for an opinion about Europe and not caring that more than half had no connection to their ancestors’ place of origin.

[url]https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/on-the-shameful-and-skewed-redskins-poll/[/url]

In 2016, the Washington Post published a poll about whether Native Americans found the Washington Redskins’ name offensive. Ninety percent of respondents said they were not offended by the team’s name. The poll has since been used by Dan Snyder and other team owners as evidence that their Native American mascots are inoffensive.

But a new study from academics at the University of Michigan and UC Berkeley contradicts that data. In a scientific survey of more than 1,000 Native Americans, roughly half of the participants said they were offended by the Redskins’ name. Moreover, 65 percent said they were offended by sports fans performing a “tomahawk chop,” and 73 percent said they were offended by fans imitating Native American dances.

[url]https://www.washingtonian.com/2020/02/21/a-new-study-contradicts-a-washington-post-poll-about-how-native-americans-view-the-redskins-name/[/url]

When you look into the Wash Po survey .. theres holes and its paper thin.

I posted a bunch of citations like 40 pages back on the problems of people "self identifying" as NA for various reasons.

When half the 504 people the Wash Po surveyed couldnt even lie or think of a single tribe to claim ancestry to ....

its like everyone claiming some irish lineage on St Patricks Day.

MissouriSkin 08-10-2021 02:23 PM

[quote=SunnySide;1287127]To get this number, the Post’s polling team questioned 504 self-identified Native Americans from all 50 states. Given that I have 50 first cousins who are enrolled in the Navajo and Yankton Dakota Sioux Nations, none of whom likes the team name, I found the results to be curious. When I looked more closely at the methodology of the poll, I was appalled.

First and foremost, the Post states clearly that they did not verify the actual Native American identity or tribal enrollment of its respondents. Unlike most “minorities,” non-Native Americans have often declared themselves Native American with little or no factual evidence or cultural connection whatsoever. Furthermore, 56 percent of those asked said they were not part of any tribal nation or could not name what tribe their ancestors claimed. Imagine asking 500 white Americans for an opinion about Europe and not caring that more than half had no connection to their ancestors’ place of origin.

[url]https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/on-the-shameful-and-skewed-redskins-poll/[/url]

In 2016, the Washington Post published a poll about whether Native Americans found the Washington Redskins’ name offensive. Ninety percent of respondents said they were not offended by the team’s name. The poll has since been used by Dan Snyder and other team owners as evidence that their Native American mascots are inoffensive.

But a new study from academics at the University of Michigan and UC Berkeley contradicts that data. In a scientific survey of more than 1,000 Native Americans, roughly half of the participants said they were offended by the Redskins’ name. Moreover, 65 percent said they were offended by sports fans performing a “tomahawk chop,” and 73 percent said they were offended by fans imitating Native American dances.

[url]https://www.washingtonian.com/2020/02/21/a-new-study-contradicts-a-washington-post-poll-about-how-native-americans-view-the-redskins-name/[/url]

When you look into the Wash Po survey .. theres holes and its paper thin.

I posted a bunch of citations like 40 pages back on the problems of people "self identifying" as NA for various reasons.

When half the 504 people the Wash Po surveyed couldnt even lie or think of a single tribe to claim ancestry to ....

its like everyone claiming some irish lineage on St Patricks Day.[/quote]

You’re trying to force your view of what you think a Native American is on people. Many tribes consider you a Native if you have any Native blood in your ancestry. You think a person is Native only if they are 100% but that is not the case.

SunnySide 08-10-2021 02:25 PM

[quote=MissouriSkin;1287126]So? People do something like that to all kinds of other groups. It’s not evil. Hell I’m a well off smart guy who is white and Republican and was in the Army. I get called all sorts of stuff and people make all kinds of stereotypes about me and the world goes on. This whole bit of every word and action is inherently evil has just reached beyond stupid proportions.[/quote]

Thinking your "white oppression" is comparable to people who actually have been oppressed the past 50 years .... white people thinking theyve experienced oppression in america? lol

i cant .. i cant

BaltimoreSkins 08-10-2021 02:26 PM

Not very empathetic are you? That is fine but I think there is a slight difference between a white male and Native American youth.

You are right not every action is evil. There was a word association study with Native Americans and the Redskins logo and the word that was most used was pride. I think there is a difference between a logo depicting pride and one showing a troupe of a Native American getting drunk.

MissouriSkin 08-10-2021 02:37 PM

[quote=SunnySide;1287129]Thinking your "white oppression" is comparable to people who actually have been oppressed the past 50 years .... white people thinking theyve experienced oppression in america? lol

i cant .. i cant[/quote]

You can’t because you don’t have a functioning brain pan.

SunnySide 08-10-2021 02:45 PM

[quote=MissouriSkin;1287131]You can’t because you don’t have a functioning brain pan.[/quote]

Agreed, I apologize MS. I dont have the proper temperament to engage in these hyper partisan online discussions in a productive way. its my fault, im going to bow out.

BaltimoreSkins 08-10-2021 02:53 PM

[quote=Chico23231;1287114]I know one thing, Monkeydad would not call Adam Humphries, “Humpy” to his face[/quote]

This is undebatable truth

CRedskinsRule 08-10-2021 03:15 PM

I really wish they would announce Wolves as the name and end it. Some might not move on with it but the large majority would take it and move forward.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

MTK 08-10-2021 03:43 PM

I'll take any name at this point if it moves us forward. So exhausted by this "debate".

nonniey 08-10-2021 04:09 PM

[quote=MTK;1287138]I'll take any name at this point if it moves us forward. So exhausted by this "debate".[/quote]
It will never end you know.

MTK 08-10-2021 04:20 PM

[quote=nonniey;1287141]It will never end you know.[/quote]

I think a good portion of fans will be ready to move forward with a new name especially if it's well received.

Some people are just cavemen and can't accept change no matter what.

CRedskinsRule 08-10-2021 04:41 PM

Washington CroMags

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk