Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Around the NFL 2022: Post Draft Edition (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=65016)

Ruhskins 05-02-2022 10:57 AM

Around the NFL 2022: Post Draft Edition

Honey Badger expected to sign with the Saints

[url]https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/02/report-tyrann-mathieu-is-expected-to-sign-with-saints/[/url]

Also, are Cleveland and the 49ers stuck with their former QB1s?

AnonEmouse 05-02-2022 11:32 AM

Re: Around the NFL 2022: Post Draft Edition

Thought the Saints were in cap hell?

I think Mayfield will be picked up in the near future, probably around camp time and almost certainly if there's an injury to a #1. Jimmy G is going to have to show he's clear of injury, but he might be OK staying as the #2 if nobody comes calling.

There are teams with unproven/tier 2 starting QB's that could be willing to offer teh Browns something. Or teams will wait (probably in both cases) until they are cut.

'Unset' at QB or need solid QB2:
Atlanta - Mariota is an unknown and the only experienced QB, but Ridder could be thrown in the deep end.
Carolina - unlikely as they may be to just drop Darnold, is Corral ready to go this year? Maybe swap Darnold and Jimmy G? Carolina gets an upgrade unless/until Corral is ready and 49ers get a backup with starting experience happy for a change of scenery.
Chicago - unlikely but who's backup to Fields if he struggles/gets injured? Siemian?
Detroit - didn't draft a QB and we all know Goff isn't a fixture.
NY G - Jones option wasn't picked up so he's in a prove it year. If he looks poor in camp, could they pull the trigger on a trade? They didn't draft a QB and they've stocked up in the draft...
Philly - unlikely but they don't exactly have a premium QB room.
Seattle - wouldn't surprise me at all if they made a move for Mayfield. Do they really think their guy is already in the room? Mayfield would fit their O and it might be a redemption story for him.
Tampa - TB12 is #1 for now, but I'd say its highly likely he makes it his last season. Someone like Jimmy G being ready to take over after a year as backup wouldn't be a total surprise, given there's no obvious successor on the roster.

Ruhskins 05-02-2022 11:40 AM

[quote=AnonEmouse;1316043]Thought the Saints were in cap hell?

I think Mayfield will be picked up in the near future, probably around camp time and almost certainly if there's an injury to a #1. Jimmy G is going to have to show he's clear of injury, but he might be OK staying as the #2 if nobody comes calling.

There are teams with unproven/tier 2 starting QB's that could be willing to offer teh Browns something. Or teams will wait (probably in both cases) until they are cut.

'Unset' at QB or need solid QB2:
Atlanta - Mariota is an unknown and the only experienced QB, but Ridder could be thrown in the deep end.
Carolina - unlikely as they may be to just drop Darnold, is Corral ready to go this year? Maybe swap Darnold and Jimmy G? Carolina gets an upgrade unless/until Corral is ready and 49ers get a backup with starting experience happy for a change of scenery.
Chicago - unlikely but who's backup to Fields if he struggles/gets injured? Siemian?
Detroit - didn't draft a QB and we all know Goff isn't a fixture.
NY G - Jones option wasn't picked up so he's in a prove it year. If he looks poor in camp, could they pull the trigger on a trade? They didn't draft a QB and they've stocked up in the draft...
Philly - unlikely but they don't exactly have a premium QB room.
Seattle - wouldn't surprise me at all if they made a move for Mayfield. Do they really think their guy is already in the room? Mayfield would fit their O and it might be a redemption story for him.
Tampa - TB12 is #1 for now, but I'd say its highly likely he makes it his last season. Someone like Jimmy G being ready to take over after a year as backup wouldn't be a total surprise, given there's no obvious successor on the roster.[/quote]

Good list. But, if I'm any of those teams, I'm waiting to see if the Browns release Baker. Although, I guess Watson has a ridiculously low cap this upcoming year expecting some type of suspension. So the Browns may not have an incentive to move from Baker.

Chico23231 05-02-2022 11:50 AM

Looking to see who gets possibly cut at Corner and Linebacker around the league. Could use some depth at both

AnonEmouse 05-02-2022 11:51 AM

[quote=Ruhskins;1316044]Good list. But, if I'm any of those teams, I'm waiting to see if the Browns release Baker. Although, I guess Watson has a ridiculously low cap this upcoming year expecting some type of suspension. So the Browns may not have an incentive to move from Baker.[/quote]

Agreed, but OTOH, both have some trade value, so I'd be surprised if they're not keeping the feelers out. Can't imagine the Browns QB room will be fun with Watson and Mayfield both in there! :D

SFREDSKIN 05-02-2022 12:34 PM

We signed Tre Walker as post draft FA LB out of Idaho, looks promising. [url]https://thetouchdown.co.uk/2022-nfl-draft-prospect-report-tre-walker/[/url]

jamf 05-02-2022 10:42 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;1316042]
Also, are Cleveland and the 49ers stuck with their former QB1s?[/quote]
No one is willing to pay full price for a guy about to get cut.

Indy fleeced this stupid ass team.
They got dumb ass Snyder to not only pickup all of wentzs contract but they also sent picks!

I bet SF and CL are kicking themselves for not getting Snyder on the phone right away.

That Guy 05-03-2022 12:04 AM

[quote=jamf;1316061]No one is willing to pay full price for a guy about to get cut.

They got dumb ass Snyder to not only pickup all of wentzs contract but they also sent picks!

I bet SF and CL are kicking themselves for not getting Snyder on the phone right away.[/quote]

he gets cut and then the team needs to compete to sign him. Washington is not considered a good team, so odds of landing him probably would not be good (see all the other QBs that turned this team down over the last two years).

rocnrik 05-03-2022 06:57 AM

[quote=jamf;1316061]No one is willing to pay full price for a guy about to get cut.

I bet SF and CL are kicking themselves for not getting Snyder on the phone right away.[/quote]

So what was the team supposed to do??
As it turned out we got a QB in draft that some thought would go First or second round ( we waited and snagged Howell in 5th )
Without Wentz we were looking at Taylor as starter .. nobody wants that
We were never gonna get a top guy( Watson,Rogers,Stafford, Wilson etc)
We would have not got Wentz without trading something ..

FrenchSkin 05-03-2022 08:03 AM

[quote=rocnrik;1316065]So what was the team supposed to do??
As it turned out we got a QB in draft that some thought would go First or second round ( we waited and snagged Howell in 5th )
Without Wentz we were looking at Taylor as starter .. nobody wants that
We were never gonna get a top guy( Watson,Rogers,Stafford, Wilson etc)
We would have not got Wentz without trading something ..[/quote]

Agreed. And I don't think the compensation was crazy. I do think they should've negotiated for Indy to take part of Wentz' cap hit, but they couldn't not afford to not be sure to have an upgrade at QB.

Chief X_Phackter 05-03-2022 08:22 AM

It's hard to believe people complaining about what we gave up to get Wentz after seeing what some teams ae giving up for wide receivers.

Wentz was (is) a bargain. Low risk - High reward move. Top it off with snagging a potential QB of the future in the draft... The QB room is leaps and bounds better than it was last year.

skinsfan69 05-03-2022 08:37 AM

Mayfield may be flat out released. Crazy to think that cause I feel he is a NFL starter. No way does he got back there Clev. SF will probably end up keeping Jimmy G.

jamf 05-03-2022 08:54 AM

[quote=That Guy;1316062]he gets cut and then the team needs to compete to sign him. Washington is not considered a good team, so odds of landing him probably would not be good (see all the other QBs that turned this team down over the last two years).[/quote]

I counter with how starting jobs are out there…
You think Garappolo or Mayfield want to be backups on contenders?

Chico23231 05-03-2022 09:28 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;1316072]Mayfield may be flat out released. Crazy to think that cause I feel he is a NFL starter. No way does he got back there Clev. SF will probably end up keeping Jimmy G.[/quote]

You know if Baker is so great someone would make a move for him

Jimmy G is trash with a throwing shoulder injury…this woulda the Snyder/Bruce move 5 years ago. Thank god we didn’t do this!

Chico23231 05-03-2022 09:33 AM

[quote=Chief X_Phackter;1316069]It's hard to believe people complaining about what we gave up to get Wentz after seeing what some teams ae giving up for wide receivers.

Wentz was (is) a bargain. Low risk - High reward move. Top it off with snagging a potential QB of the future in the draft... The QB room is leaps and bounds better than it was last year.[/quote]

I agree.

And dammit…I’m a little excited about Sam Howell. He’s a solid mid round QB prospect with a big arm. You know if Wentz falls flat (which I don’t believe he will), we now have a guy who can learn the system for the year while polishing up lacking skills with coaching..and be given a shot down the road.

Wentz, Howell, Henike > Fitz, Henike, Allen

mooby 05-03-2022 11:04 AM

[url]https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33845174/tanking-allegations-made-ex-cleveland-browns-coach-hue-jackson-substantiated-independent-review-shows[/url]

Lotta bigger issues than tanking allegations running around today, but the NFL is saying Hue Jackson's claims of being paid to tank are false.

I imagine the convo went something like this:

The NFL approached the owner of the Browns and told him they were investigating whether a Mr. Jimmy Haslam tried to pay Hue Jackson to tank for a higher draft pick. The owner tried his best to get to the bottom of the allegations, but couldn't find any evidence supporting that theory. Case closed.

skinsfaninok 05-03-2022 12:14 PM

Team "Tank" during the last 4 weeks all the time.

The Colts were obvious the year they took Luck. Can't really blame them

That Guy 05-04-2022 06:19 AM

[quote=jamf;1316073]I counter with how starting jobs are out there…
You think Garappolo or Mayfield want to be backups on contenders?[/quote]

they're both under contract. we asked about jimmy G and signs say he said no thanks, just like stafford and wilson and everybody else.

you don't think the steelers or panthers etc would have said hi if he was released?

there are worse qbs than him that will be starting opening day. the qb supply of viable starters is still lower than 32.

BaltimoreSkins 05-04-2022 08:03 AM

[quote=Chico23231;1316078]I agree.

And dammit…I’m a little excited about Sam Howell. He’s a solid mid round QB prospect with a big arm. You know if Wentz falls flat (which I don’t believe he will), we now have a guy who can learn the system for the year while polishing up lacking skills with coaching..and be given a shot down the road.

Wentz, Howell, Henike > Fitz, Henike, Allen[/quote]

I was revisiting the Pickett, Corall Howell thread after the draft. We had peeps here thinking we would have taken him 2nd round and to be fair if we didn't land Wentz there is that possibility we would have used a 2nd on a QB or even first. We get someone like Howell in 5th round yes please. Another low risk, high reward. Your 5th rounder is likely going to be a special teams player at best and delegated to practice squad most likely so this is a win.

skinsfaninok 05-05-2022 08:55 AM

Love how ESPN starts off with "Eagles or Cowboys" in the NFCE lolol

I get it, Ron has to prove he can win more than 7 games but Philly is not that good...

Chief X_Phackter 05-05-2022 09:10 AM

They both made it to the playoffs last year, so you have to start with those two teams at the top.

punch it in 05-05-2022 09:20 AM

[QUOTE=Chief X_Phackter;1316200]They both made it to the playoffs last year, so you have to start with those two teams at the top.[/QUOTE]

Sad but true,…..

MTK 05-05-2022 09:21 AM

And you always have to start with Dallas. Just because.

Chico23231 05-05-2022 10:23 AM

From Warren Sharp:

NEW: NFL strength of schedule for 2022!

5 easiest schedules:

1️⃣ Commanders
2️⃣ Bears
3️⃣ Eagles
4️⃣ Colts
5️⃣ Seahawks

5 hardest schedules:

2️⃣8️⃣ Raiders
2️⃣9️⃣ 49ers
3️⃣0️⃣ Rams
3️⃣1️⃣ Jets
3️⃣2️⃣ Chiefs

I know playing the schedule game is dangerous, but Warren Sharp is one of the top analytics guys in the game. And remember last year, we played one of the hardest schedules facing the top QBs in the game outside our division.

skinsfaninok 05-05-2022 10:30 AM

[quote=Chico23231;1316208]From Warren Sharp:

NEW: NFL strength of schedule for 2022!

5 easiest schedules:

1️⃣ Commanders
2️⃣ Bears
3️⃣ Eagles
4️⃣ Colts
5️⃣ Seahawks

5 hardest schedules:

2️⃣8️⃣ Raiders
2️⃣9️⃣ 49ers
3️⃣0️⃣ Rams
3️⃣1️⃣ Jets
3️⃣2️⃣ Chiefs

I know playing the schedule game is dangerous, but Warren Sharp is one of the top analytics guys in the game. And remember last year, we played one of the hardest schedules facing the top QBs in the game outside our division.[/quote]

Hopefully we can take advantage of this and ACTUALLY start fast for once..

We never start off 3-0

Chief X_Phackter 05-05-2022 10:37 AM

I agree, playing the schedule game can be dangerous. Just take Washington for example. The Commanders are likely on some of the 'easier' schedules, but they should be a much better team this year.

I do think that the schedule is part of why this team will have a much better season / record this year - compared to last year. Just have to limit the key injuries. That seems to be the bugaboo more than anything else. They are going to happen, but that is where solid depth players helps.

Right now we can probably withstand a key injury at most positions, but if a starting LB or DB has to miss significant time - not so much.

jamf 05-05-2022 11:58 PM

[url]https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/05/05/baker-mayfield-sources-close-to-him-browns-sabotaged-him-report-steelers[/url]

[QUOTE] “I’m an extremely competitive guy,” Mayfield said following the Steelers loss. “Now it’s time for me to start looking at what’s in the best interest of me and my health.”

After dealing with numerous injuries during the season, Mayfield sat out the Browns’ final game, a win over the Bengals.[/QUOTE]

I’m not ok with a player deciding to take a game off without the coaches input.
Baker sounds like a crybaby.

Chico23231 05-10-2022 03:37 PM

[url]https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/10/report-10-years-375-million-for-tom-brady/[/url]

When Fox first landed NFL rights nearly 30 years ago, it paid the league $400 million per year. Fox will pay Tom Brady nearly that much for a decade of talking about football.

10 years, $375 million for Tom Brady….

Wow…lol

GridIron26 05-10-2022 04:11 PM

Brady is certainly living the life

Edit: he worked hard for it especially in the beginning of his career so he definitely has earned it.

skinsfaninok 05-11-2022 12:28 PM

I Can't believe the niners are reported to be "very concerned" with Trey Lance's development. They traded the farm for that dude!

MTK 05-11-2022 12:31 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1316522]I Can't believe the niners are reported to be "very concerned" with Trey Lance's development. They traded the farm for that dude![/quote]

The fact this info is getting out is really bad... looks like they held on to Jimmy G for good reason

skinsfaninok 05-11-2022 12:35 PM

[quote=MTK;1316524]The fact this info is getting out is really bad... looks like they held on to Jimmy G for good reason[/quote]

Yeah and it was John Lynch that said "Trey may sit a few years" That tells you he's far from ready. If you have a QB that can't process reads and hes also inaccurate, u got big problems

Ruhskins 05-18-2022 10:44 AM

@RapSheet
Sources: Former #Giants Pro Bowl CB James Bradberry has agreed to terms with the #Eagles on a 1-year deal for $10M. A big-time post-draft addition, as Bradberry lands in a perfect spot.

sdskinsfan2001 05-18-2022 10:47 AM

[quote=Ruhskins;1316703]@RapSheet
Sources: Former #Giants Pro Bowl CB James Bradberry has agreed to terms with the #Eagles on a 1-year deal for $10M. A big-time post-draft addition, as Bradberry lands in a perfect spot.[/quote]

Not only was I wrong about us signing him, he goes to the damn Eagles. Lame.

MTK 05-18-2022 10:48 AM

damn I thought all Ron does is sign former Panthers.

skinsfaninok 05-18-2022 10:58 AM

Eagles have a good roster, they could be a tough out this yr. It all depends on Hurts

Ruhskins 05-18-2022 10:58 AM

[quote=MTK;1316705]damn I thought all Ron does is sign former Panthers.[/quote]

Also, this tweet is on point:

@discoque5
Looking at the initial reactions of the Bradberry to the Eagles signing, I'm convinced that some of ya'll want the old days of Vinny/Dan back.

...but they won't admit it. 😃

calia 05-18-2022 11:06 AM

No one’s lobbying for Vinny but Bradberry is a talented player in an area of real need for us. And he went to a team that could well win our division. Not a good development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chief X_Phackter 05-18-2022 11:18 AM

I'm not sure the secondary is a real need. I look at Bradberry as more of a luxury signing if they were to do such a thing. LB remains the priority and Ron has said as much. As MTK said too, players that are still available are in no hurry to sign at this point. Collins' salary comes off the books next month. I still think we'll add a Veteran LB and resign McL before the season.

Ruhskins 05-18-2022 11:28 AM

[quote=calia;1316710]No one’s lobbying for Vinny but Bradberry is a talented player in an area of real need for us. And he went to a team that could well win our division. Not a good development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

We also don't have a good history at this position:

@NFLDraftProSco1
Replying to
@JPFinlayNBCS
Signing pricey defensive backs rarely works out for us. (Norman, Collins, Jackson) Yet fans keep clamoring for us to rinse and repeat. Draft and develop please and thank you.