Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   If I were G.M. (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=1621)

NM Redskin 06-26-2004 03:39 AM

Good thing your not Gm, Portis will make you eat your words!

That Guy 06-26-2004 03:49 AM

if you're talking to me, i'm just saying we probably could have gotten him without throwing a 2nd rounder away ;) if not, then disregard this post entirely, thank you :)

NM Redskin 06-26-2004 04:12 AM

Sorry That Guy, I was just trying to comment on skin009 comment, fix everything with draft picks, I just like that Protis is PROVEN. I think that Gibbs will make him the corner stone of the off. and win ,hopefully, multi superbowls. As far as the 2nd rounder i think that was throw in to make the salaries work, could be wrong.

bedlamVR 06-26-2004 05:22 AM

From all that was said the Broncos deal was not going to happen without the 2nd round pick and I still say it is in the air who got the best deal untill the season starts. Without the broncos deal we were looking at trading for maybe a first round pick if lucky or the best deal was the jets who offered three moderate/poor players in thie final contract years. The skins wanted Ellis but it was the Jets who turned them down .

Brunnell probably did overpay BUT compared with the other QB's out there available including Garcia and Waner Brunnell was the one with the fewest question marks. A number of other teams were waiting for him including Miami who ended trading a 2 or 3rd pick for AJ Freely from the Eagles.

The other aquisitions on the defence maybe will pan out or maybe wont but there are alot of things ther than just raw talent which contributes to performance on the field. There have been a number of players who step up in new systems and flourish and as for Springs over the likes of Plumber Springs give vetern leadership out there its all swings and roundabouts.

That Guy 06-26-2004 06:50 AM

well, as far as who's ahead in the broncos trade, i think both teams are. if you saw the colts game, they need good DBs desperately, and they got one... they've always been a good training ground for 1000 yd RBs, so that wasn't seen as a huge loss. Meanwhile, champ was probably gone no matter what, it kind of hit the point of no return, and RB was one of our major holes (and a good RB is a cornerstone for gibbs), so we got what we wanted too.

People argue that good CBs are harder to find and last longer, and they're right, but which player will help gibbs win more games? I can't really find an arguement against portis there... the step down from champ to springs isn't nearly as big and between portis and betts/canidate/whoever else was running last year. Both teams made out, and while i'd think champ was good enough to go straight up, if I had to throw the pick, i would... I don't see another way to get a top RB outside drafting and praying (not a very surefire way to get a team cornerstone).

Of course, if davis were still around, I believe his contract would cost less and he'd produce enough yards to make everyone happy. That's probably one of worst recent personal decisions here, but I digress...

jasonskin 06-26-2004 09:58 AM

I loved the trade with Champ for Portis.We needed a runing game now we got one we got one of the best.I would take portis over anybody the jets have.

bedlamVR 06-26-2004 01:41 PM

I am not sure that Davis would be making everyone hapy round here. In Carolina he is being exposed a litte as a good power back with good stamina in games but not exceptional. He can wear defences out simply by playing longer but he always wears down at the season end. I would not be supprised if DeShawn Foster is the Panters best runner this year...

The other thing you have to rember about the Davis contract, it was a mistake to pay him so much so soon meaning he would have to restructure or be cut down the line but it was in around the same time as 2000/1 spending spree which saw alot of money spent and wasted.

Personally I think even if Davis was here he would push the likes of Betts to be better and may be on the way to being replaced by Betts as he because he did show some promise in 2002 but I guess we will never know

That Guy 06-27-2004 02:04 AM

I agree that portis is clearly a better RB, but at the time davis was cut, we had no replacement, and the 5-11 result isn't just because we didn't have an RB, but that's part of it.

Davis was a bit of a teacher too, hopefully portis wants to help the other RBs learn as well.

skinsfanthru&thru 06-27-2004 02:16 AM

plus as someone mentioned a while back, without going 5-11 we wouldn't have taylor and more importantly gibbs would probably be coaching atlanta instead of the only team he should be allowed to coach.

diehardskin2982 06-27-2004 11:35 PM

As far as the Portis/Champ trade I would not of gave a 2nd round pick. A true corner only comes once in a bluemoon so, Denver should of been the one chalking up the picks. Secondly I would of gave portis a blockbuster contract with a lot of loopholes in order to have a bailout plan if he messes up.

I think the Brunnel trade is Justified because I don't know if we would had been able to get him in Free Agency. I remember he wanted to stay in florida with the buccs and also it is best to get a new QB ASAP in order to learn the system so, it would not have been beneficial for us to wait until June 1st to get a guy to lead a team. the extra practices that a new coach gets would have been a waste without a new QB.

I would have took Griffin not as much money, jumped on winstrom and cut Wynn. I would have offered a restructure to trotter and still got barrow. I also would have taken Ted Washington.

I would have also traded the two second round picks that would have had (ours, broncos) to the Raider with Trotter & Russel for their 2nd round and Teyo Johnson for our H-back position. then I would have drafted with their 2nd round Jake Grove. he would have been our center of the future. Then I would have followed through to the end with my picks same as the skins.

Drafted:
1Sean Taylor

skinsfanthru&thru 06-28-2004 12:21 AM

[QUOTE=diehardskin2982]I think the Brunnel trade is Justified because I don't know if we would had been able to get him in Free Agency. I remember he wanted to stay in florida with the buccs and also it is best to get a new QB ASAP in order to learn the system so, it would not have been beneficial for us to wait until June 1st to get a guy to lead a team. the extra practices that a new coach gets would have been a waste without a new QB.[/QUOTE]

i understand your point but I think he was gonna be a march cap cut.

DAVE 06-28-2004 12:43 AM

I'm getting in on this thread late, but I heartily agree with its originator that we've botched a lot of decisions in the offseason. I have a tremendous amount of belief in Gibbs as a coach, but not as a GM. If they had followed through and got Bobby Beathard to fill that position, he probably would have stepped in at some point and said, "You know what, Joe, I'm sorry, maybe twelve tight ends is enough. Let's find some defensive linemen."

How many Tight Ends can we possibly use? How many wide receivers? How many running backs? Unless we're plannnig on fielding the offenses for both teams this year, I think we've invested a little too heavily in those positions. (Meanwhile, we're reportedly going after yet another tight end right now. It's like that Fillipino first lady and shoes.) Some of this money could have gone to a big, beefy run-stopper, or resigning Smoot.

Also, wasn't Portis locked into a very inexpensive contract for like, three more seasons? What's the rush in forking over our biggest contract ever to him? I think our coaching will be terrific, and the franchise is definitely on the way up, but having a smart football personnel person in the front office is key, and we don't have that.

offiss 06-28-2004 02:01 AM

[QUOTE]Also, wasn't Portis locked into a very inexpensive contract for like, three more seasons? What's the rush in forking over our biggest contract ever to him? I think our coaching will be terrific, and the franchise is definitely on the way up, but having a smart football personnel person in the front office is key, and we don't have that.[/QUOTE]

It had to be redone, that is why denver traded him, he wanted a new contract.

That Guy 06-28-2004 07:09 AM

I think it was 2 seasons at minimum, but you DON'T want to trade champ + a pick for a star RB, and then piss on that RB... we traded a lot to get him, and I think the staff figured, it'd be better to make sure he's happy with the team etc... and try to keep him here for a long time. (rightfully so)

cpayne5 06-28-2004 09:38 AM

[QUOTE=Daseal]You know what's going to be significant? The boost of revenue that shoots the cap out of the roof. I think Brunell will be gone sooner than most think (1-2 years and he's on his ass) and we'll fire some guys, but we'll keep guys that restructure.[/QUOTE]
I think that a cap boost will only make Peyton-esque signing bonuses more commonplace and not make it easier on ole Danny Boy to sign and keep players.