Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Redskins Made Smart Choice With Kerrigan (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=42180)

Dirtbag59 04-29-2011 12:08 AM

Redskins Made Smart Choice With Kerrigan

[url=http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/26528/redskins-made-smart-choice-with-kerrigan]Redskins made smart choice with Kerrigan - NFC East Blog - ESPN[/url]
[YT]3_oDyuQR9Pk[/YT]
Here’s the easy way to assess the Washington Redskins' decision to select Purdue defensive end Ryan Kerrigan with the 16th overall pick in this year’s draft: They added a strong, versatile pass rusher who can complement burgeoning star Brian Orakpo. Now here’s the better way to evaluate that move: The team also sent a potent message about the near future, one that said energy and attitude will mean as much as talent for new additions to that locker room.

As good as Kerrigan is -- he was the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year in 2010 -- his approach to the game will pay huge dividends for his new employer. [B]This is a young man who plays every down as if the Lombardi Trophy hangs in the balance[/B]. Kerrigan also treats any opportunity he receives as if he’s truly blessed to have one. For a team that has spent the past year coping with the headache that is their highest paid defender, defensive end Albert Haynesworth, this has to be a nice change. Kerrigan should pump new life into that side of the football just with his love of the game.

Longtimefan 04-29-2011 12:13 AM

Re: Redskins Made Smart Choice With Kerrigan

Hard worker.....the kind of player that will fit into just about any defensive scheme, plus he addresses a need.

I also like the fact he had a full college career having played in 48 games he obviously has a very good understanding of the game. Any change in position shouldn't be considered a drastic move.

Shanahan on Kerrigan

[url=http://www.redskins.com/media-gallery/videos/Mike-Shanahan-4-28/2d489f62-6ba2-4453-850b-6f93c01e3c7d]Mike Shanahan: 4-28[/url]

MTK 04-29-2011 12:25 AM

He will be a fan favorite in no time.

Dirtbag59 04-29-2011 12:25 AM

[quote=Longtimefan;797655]Hard worker.....the kind of player that fill fit into just about any defensive scheme, plus he addresses a need.

Shanahan on Kerrigan

[url=http://www.redskins.com/media-gallery/videos/Mike-Shanahan-4-28/2d489f62-6ba2-4453-850b-6f93c01e3c7d]Mike Shanahan: 4-28[/url][/quote]

I liked the way he talked about their decision making process. How they grouped players together, after the trade back have 2 or 3 guys in mind, and then decide when the time comes. Far cry from Vinny who basically just told people after his picks that he was a slave to his board. And thats not to say the current management didn't emphasize the importance of their draft board but this group seems much more flexible.

Why did you take 3 pass catchers? "Well they were the best players on the board so we followed the board and took them."

GMScud 04-29-2011 12:25 AM

I like the pick for a few reasons: Kerrigan fills a need as an OLB opposite Rak, he's a high motor, high character guy who is one of those first to arrive last to leave type players, and we picked up the 47th overall pick in the process. Overall I give a very solid grade to Shanny/Allen's first round.

ethat001 04-29-2011 12:27 AM

Two points:
1) Looking back, we will compare Kerrigan (and 2nd round pick) to Blaine Gabbert. Time will tell if this was a good move.
2) Is Kerrigan much better than Cam Jordan? Jordan had a lot of hype..

tc2deuce 04-29-2011 12:28 AM

I trust in BA! now who do you got in the 2nd round?

Dirtbag59 04-29-2011 12:30 AM

[quote=GMScud;797664]I like the pick for a few reasons: Kerrigan fills a need as an OLB opposite Rak, he's a high motor, high character guy who is one of those first to arrive last to leave type players, and we picked up the 47th overall pick in the process. Overall I give a very solid grade to Shanny/Allen's first round.[/quote]

The thing I liked about him was the fact that he can play the run to. He's not just one of those finesse, run around the corner types. He will get his own push if he needs to. I know Von Miller was the better prospect and I'm not exactly a trained scout but half the time when I saw the footage of Miller he was getting pushed around and trying to run around people.

Kerrigan on the other hand will bush rush you and go through you if needs to. However there also lies the problem. Kerrigan doesn't have a variety of pass rush moves. Though hopefully the fact that Orakpo has discovered this problem with his own game will allow Kerrigan to get to work on it sooner rather then later.

GMScud 04-29-2011 12:30 AM

[quote=Mattyk;797661]He will be a fan favorite in no time.[/quote]

Plus there currently isn't a #94 on our roster, so he'll get to keep his college number if he wants to. We'll see plenty of Kerrigan jerseys this fall.

rbanerjee23 04-29-2011 12:31 AM

Seems like a pretty solid pick...hope he works out. More important are the solid 2nd round picks we picked up. Hopefully we address QB, OL, or WR with those picks and develop them for years to come...time to start building through the draft.

Dirtbag59 04-29-2011 12:32 AM

[YT]pybm2V5RQaY[/YT]
[quote=Todd McShay]I think theres no chance he's going to be a bust in the NFL.[/quote]

skinster 04-29-2011 12:33 AM

is it just me or does shanny seem upset in this video? at least not the least bit happy. He had to know quinn would be gone. Maybe he really wanted Locker? Maybe Kerrigan really wasn't one of the 2-3 guys he was hoping to get (or maybe he was 3 and shanny just added that in as a freudian slip really hopping for the top 2)

BigHairedAristocrat 04-29-2011 12:33 AM

Now we just need to swap both our 2nd rounders with the patriots first two 2nd rounders and take the shanahans qb of choice at 33.

tc2deuce 04-29-2011 12:33 AM

Orlando Franklin OG and Dalton?

GTripp0012 04-29-2011 12:36 AM

I gave it an A because I'm really not a hard grader. Not at all. It's just that the Redskins have screwed up so often before that I've never had a chance to give them an A. They filled a need at value and picked up a second round pick in the process. He wasn't BPA, but I'm not a staunch BPA guy. This is a good pick.