Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?) (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64579)

skinsfaninok 08-03-2020 03:17 PM

Re: Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

[quote=MTK;1256867]I can't imagine the team would want to take on the responsibility of putting him on the field again. Think about what a disaster it would be if he got seriously hurt again. If he's serious about playing again it can't be here. Trade him if need be.[/quote]

Yeah sorry but the AS era needs to be over in WSH. Haskins or bust

EdmundDorf 08-03-2020 03:56 PM

[quote=jamf;1256840]$30+ mil cap hit if he retires.

Thanks Bruce...[/quote]

Really, that doesn't seem right, OTC has 0 cap hit if we cut him now

MTK 08-03-2020 04:02 PM

Post 6/1 release
2020 Dead Cap: $21,400,000
2021 Dead Cap: $10,800,000
2020 Cap Savings: $0

[url]https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-football-team/alex-smith-3337/[/url]

If he can't pass a physical and was cut we'd get something like a $12m cap credit due to that insurance policy

MTK 08-03-2020 04:04 PM

Cutting him in 2021 is the way to go

Post 6/1 release
2021 Dead Cap: $5,400,000
2022 Dead Cap: $5,400,000
2021 Cap Savings: $19,000,000

EdmundDorf 08-03-2020 06:41 PM

OTC has a slightly different bonus proration structure, but in any case it would be a post June 1 release which has less impact on this years cap, always thought OTC was a good resource.......

Apologies just reread your post and the numbers appear to be about the same, what I meant was 0 additional cap hit if we cut him now

Chico23231 08-03-2020 07:59 PM

[quote=EdmundDorf;1256894]OTC has a slightly different bonus proration structure, but in any case it would be a post June 1 release which has less impact on this years cap, always thought OTC was a good resource.......

Apologies just reread your post and the numbers appear to be about the same, what I meant was 0 additional cap hit if we cut him now[/quote]

Just my 2 cents here...I’ve always like sportstrac a little better than otc. Sportstrac salary predictions have always been a lil off, but there free agent lists and team dashboards are pretty cool.

Warthog 08-03-2020 10:16 PM

Cut him in 2021. Trade him now if he can actually pass the physical later AND he really insists on playing.

The future is Haskins. He should be given the entire season to prove himself or not. I think he will have an excellent season unless the OL collapses. If Haskins has a poor season, because of his own actions, then we draft the best QB in the 2021 draft.

Alex Smith and the incredibly generous contract he was given, was the last turd left by Bruce Allen. Bruce panicked after totally mismanaging the “Kurt” Cousins affair.

I salute Alex Smith’s grit and amazing recovery. But if we ever play him and he is hurt again, the team will be crucified by the press.

Monkeydad 08-04-2020 09:42 AM

[quote=Warthog;1256905]Cut him in 2021. Trade him now if he can actually pass the physical later AND he really insists on playing.

The future is Haskins. He should be given the entire season to prove himself or not. I think he will have an excellent season unless the OL collapses. If Haskins has a poor season, because of his own actions, then we draft the best QB in the 2021 draft.

Alex Smith and the incredibly generous contract he was given, was the last turd left by Bruce Allen. Bruce panicked after totally mismanaging the “Kurt” Cousins affair.

I salute Alex Smith’s grit and amazing recovery. But if we ever play him and he is hurt again, the team will be crucified by the press.[/quote]

If Alex had not been injured, his contract would have been worth it. I was extremely excited about getting him here and he showed us what he could do, even under a turd coach like Gruden...had led the team to a 6-2 start!

Look how bad the team was post-Smith that season. He's just a winner.

skinsfaninok 08-04-2020 09:46 AM

[quote=Monkeydad;1256918]If Alex had not been injured, his contract would have been worth it. I was extremely excited about getting him here and he showed us what he could do, even under a turd coach like Gruden...had led the team to a 6-2 start!

Look how bad the team was post-Smith that season. He's just a winner.[/quote]

He was the perfect game manager for us that season, I really thought we were going to win the east and 11 games.. This organization proved how ill prepared they were after he went down, Colt Mccoy was never reliable either and that was our backup plan.... Again losers lose for a reason

skinsfaninok 08-04-2020 09:48 AM

RR "Alex knows about 75% of this offense and Dwayne is not far behind"

Monkeydad 08-04-2020 10:41 AM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1256920]He was the perfect game manager for us that season, I really thought we were going to win the east and 11 games.. This organization proved how ill prepared they were after he went down, Colt Mccoy was never reliable either and that was our backup plan.... Again losers lose for a reason[/quote]

I think Colt could have carried us to a few more wins and kept us in at least the Wild Card hunt. We did win a game with Josh Johnson.

Colt's almost immediate leg break was crazy...it's like someone put a curse on us.

Sanchez...worst idea ever. That was embarrassing. Josh Johnson at least made it fun to watch at times with his running but we were doomed at that point.

No team could have been prepared for that series of events.

Flashback time!

[YT][url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn53ApG5P7c[/url][/YT]

Warthog 08-04-2020 02:43 PM

Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

[QUOTE=Monkeydad;1256918]If Alex had not been injured, his contract would have been worth it. I was extremely excited about getting him here and he showed us what he could do, even under a turd coach like Gruden...had led the team to a 6-2 start!

Look how bad the team was post-Smith that season. He's just a winner.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but I have to disagree with you. Alex DID get us to 6-2 using a very high percentage, short passing game. But other teams were catching on fast, which is why he was hurt! Alex just didn’t have anything but the short passing game. If you remember the games we lost that year with Alex, the team was behind and Smith refused to come out of the short passing game to win. No long or medium passes, just the same old dink and dunk to defeat.

You can’t win in the NFL with a one dimensional offense. The Redskins won six games because we caught the opponents by surprise with this high percentage, low risk offense. But I doubt we would have won, EVEN ONE MORE GAME, even if Alex had not been hurt. The teams were starting to play “8 in the box” defenses and Alex wouldn’t or couldn’t get out of the short passing game. Alex did NOT have the ability to go long.

We had a little honeymoon period with Alex Smith. But, I seriously if he would have won any more games because of his passing limitations. His injury was NOT a LUCKY defensive play. Defenses were stuffing his one-dimensional offense and he was increasingly under heavy pressure. He probably was on a trajectory for an injury that season.

Alex Smith has shown his grit, determination and courage in his incredible recovery. I salute him for that. But let’s not take a 6-2 start and assume we were on the way to a wild card or playoff berth. Defenses had totally and AGGRESSIVELY ADJUSTED to his passing game and I doubt we would have won even one more game with an unhurt Smith at the helm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chico23231 08-04-2020 03:06 PM

[quote=Monkeydad;1256918]If Alex had not been injured, his contract would have been worth it. I was extremely excited about getting him here and he showed us what he could do, even under a turd coach like Gruden...had led the team to a 6-2 start!

Look how bad the team was post-Smith that season. He's just a winner.[/quote]

No. That was a horrible trade and even worse contract. I saw it immediately.

MTK 08-04-2020 03:19 PM

Hard to say it was a bad contract IMO since he didn't get to play it out. He was considerably cheaper than Cousins. No way to predict a catastrophic injury.

Chico23231 08-04-2020 03:26 PM

[quote=MTK;1256953]Hard to say it was a bad contract IMO since he didn't get to play it out. He was considerably cheaper than Cousins. No way to predict a catastrophic injury.[/quote]

It was all mismanaged...Cousins maybe worse.