Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Choose Your 2014 Redskins Head Coach (Volume 2) (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=55563)

skinsfaninok 12-08-2013 10:30 PM

Re: Choose Your 2014 Redskins Head Coach (Volume 2)

Nobody from this list but if I had to vote I'd say Jon

diehardskin2982 12-08-2013 10:52 PM

I voted Kevin Sumlin. My hope is Ken Whisenhut, Russ Grimm as OC, and Ken Norton Jr. as DC. Whisenhut has Philip Rivers looking like an all-star again. Ken Norton could help build a Seattle styled defense.

skinsfan69 12-08-2013 11:24 PM

What is the deal with everyone wanting these college coaches? What have any of them proven at the NFL level?

skinsfaninok 12-08-2013 11:25 PM

[QUOTE=skinsfan69;1047109]What is the deal with everyone wanting these college coaches? What have any of them proven at the NFL level?[/QUOTE]

I'm with u , I like Shaw because he has NFL exp

GTripp0012 12-09-2013 12:22 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;1047109]What is the deal with everyone wanting these college coaches? What have any of them proven at the NFL level?[/quote]

Shanahan won 100+ games prior to coming here. He's terrible. Only thing that matters is whether you can coach or not. Period.

FRPLG 12-09-2013 12:32 AM

Who says we don't hire a more traditional GM first?

jamf 12-09-2013 01:04 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;1047109]What is the deal with everyone wanting these college coaches? What have any of them proven at the NFL level?[/quote]

I agree, maybe we can get proven guys like that former rookie of the year who played for the bills and also has some coaching experience with the Saints and Rams, I think his name is Haslett. I hear John Elways coach will be free at the end of the year. He is two rings!!!

All joking aside, I would prefer a HC with NFL experience but too often you see a coaching tree guy get a job and they basically run a system they've been trained in and don't have the ability to adapt it to fit their roster or their opponent. Half the NFL is running a version of the Bill Walsh west coast offense including the Redskins.

I just don't want to hire the next great system guy with a good resume like Jay Gruden. Btw, Grudens Bengals have never finished better than 11th on offense. They are currently ranked 10th. I don't see anything that Jumps out and says next great HC.

Great head coaches are harder to find than Franchise QB or Shutdown Corners. If it was easy every team would have one.
Most owners take what they perceive as the sure bet and hire a coordinators from a successful coaching staff with Belichick being the most recent and it has backfired. See Romeo Crennel, Al Groh, Josh McDaniel, Nick Saban and Eric Mangini. For decades owners have been hiring assistants from the Sid Gilman and Bill Walsh Coaching tree, half the league is from the Walsh tree...
Unfortunately the game has evolved and the gilman tree died when Vermiel and Gibbs retired. The walsh tree is struggling with only Denver doing well but thats mostly because of Manning. Sean Payton was an assistant under Bill Walsh guys, Ray Rhodes and Jim Fassell. He also coached under Parcells. Payton is successful today because he did it his way. He is expanding what he learned.

Who ever we get, I hope he is an innovator and does it his way, not a guy that is hoping for a 10 win season every year by doing what the great ones used to do.

jamf 12-09-2013 01:09 AM

that was a shitty rant, sorry.

I like to keep it simple.

Nothing tells me Jay Gruden is a good HC other than his last name. His offenses have never finished top 5 or have been considered dominant. I just don't want another guy running the same shit everyone else is running.

If I had to pick someone on this pool, I vote Sumlin.
My original pick was Todd Bowles but that just me hoping for an original Redskin to return us to glory.

jamf 12-09-2013 01:11 AM

I like Shaw but it goes against my rant against the bill walsh tree.

Bucket 12-09-2013 01:37 AM

[quote=GTripp0012;1047138]Shanahan won 100+ games prior to coming here. He's terrible. Only thing that matters is whether you can coach or not. Period.[/quote]

Finally I agree with you on something Gtripp. What is funny is that goes for all the coaches, Defense, Special Teams, etc.

It doesn't take 10 weeks for NFL players to adapt to a special teams system. There is only so many ways you can cover a punt, or kickoff.

Burns, Shanahans, Haslet... Let them all go. Build around RG3, Alfmo, and some other bright spots. Gettis actually looked good today in his limited play time.

Bucket 12-09-2013 01:41 AM

Just because Briles is a college coach. Doesn't mean he is going to bring his offense to the NFL. It's more of a philosophy than the offense itself.

Chip Kelly and Harbaugh both don't run the same offenses they did in college.

Only reason I wouldn't want Briles here is because people will be flooding RG3 with questions in the off season about how much influence he has on the franchise, blah blah blah. When everyone knows he's probably the ONLY way we get Briles in Washington. Even though Briles is well deserving of his shot in the NFL.

NC_Skins 12-09-2013 01:49 AM

[quote=GTripp0012;1047138]Shanahan won 100+ games prior to coming here. He's terrible. Only thing that matters is whether you can coach or not. Period.[/quote]

If you win 2 super bowls, chances are you can coach. NOW, picking good staff and players as a GM is a bit different.

EARTHQUAKE2689 12-09-2013 01:52 AM

EARTHQUAKE2689. I heard he is pretty good. Led LSU to 4 straight National Titles in NCAA 14.

Starry Plough 12-09-2013 04:50 AM

Smoot, is there any indication that the candidates named to potentially replace Mike are Snyder’s choices alone? Or have the likes of Bruce/Morocco Brown been the ones firmly in charge of this process?

Also, anything more on Hue Jackson and Ken Whisenhunt? I remember you mentioned the former as a potential staff hire in the previous thread, and the latter as “an intriguing name”.

SmootSmack 12-09-2013 05:25 AM

[quote=Starry Plough;1047159]Smoot, is there any indication that the candidates named to potentially replace Mike are Snyder’s choices alone? Or have the likes of Bruce/Morocco Brown been the ones firmly in charge of this process?

Also, anything more on Hue Jackson and Ken Whisenhunt? I remember you mentioned the former as a potential staff hire in the previous thread, and the latter as “an intriguing name”.[/quote]

Snyder, Allen, and AJ Smith are the primary people determining Shanny's future.

Nothing new on Hue, haven't specifically heard KW tied to us