Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Kearse a Cowgirl??? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=169)

diehardskin2982 03-01-2004 11:40 AM

Kearse a Cowgirl???

I have seen on many post a rumor that the cowboys also have an interest in Kearse, and are also going to persue him hard. what do you guys think will we get kearse.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 03-01-2004 06:57 PM

Danny will make sure the Boys don't get Kearse.

Daseal 03-01-2004 07:01 PM

Is Kearse an FA? I thought he was a cap casulty, which means he would be either cut or dealt before the deadline?

If he's cut, I think we have a huge advantage, if dealt then the boys may be able to outbid us. We're out of draft picks to offer!

If I'm wrong here, please, let me know.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 03-01-2004 07:04 PM

Kearse's deal expired this year and the Titans decided not to franchise him. He'll seek a deal worth 55+ million with a 18-20 million SB. Jesus the cap is gonna hurt us in 3 years.

Scott 03-01-2004 07:11 PM

I sure hope the FO knows something we don't about the salary cap, because we are signing some huge contracts that are bound to catch up to us..

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 03-01-2004 07:27 PM

Portis' agent is Drew Rosenhaus. Jevon Kearse's agent is none other than Drew Rosenhaus. Maybe there's a little quid pro quo going on here and Rosenhaus will have Kearse given to us for 25 bucks.

azskinsfan2 03-01-2004 10:44 PM

I'd sure hope so. Who knows what kind of deals these agents make when one team is after several of his players????

sportscurmudgeon 03-01-2004 11:12 PM

It is an "ethical violation" for an agent to use one player's contract as a bargaining chip for another player's contract with a team. Having said that, it happens more than once in a while.

Obviously the Skins and the Rosenhauses can work well together; that could be a big help in trying to get Kearse. But Rosenhaus was asking for a signing bonus in the $20M range and a total contract value of about $60-65M from the Titans. OK, MAYBE their release of Kearse has made him realize those numbers were high, but he is not going to have Kearse sign a deal at the numbers that were paid out to Brunell ($8.5M signing bonus and $23M).

Here is the danger in a Kearse signing. Yes, he is a dominant pass rushing DE and he may be a mainstay on a DL for the next 6-8 years. He might also have one more injury left in his leg that he can recover from and still be a dominant DE. If he signs a deal for $20M up front and then is really slowed by his next injury, the team will still have to keep him around for a while until they have amortized a big chunk of that $20M to avoid a huge amount of dead money.

Here's an example. Signing bonus is $20 and the deal is 10 years long. That means in each year, his cap number is $2M ($20M/10yrs) plus his salary for that year. After two seasons the team would have written off $4M of the signing bonus and if they trade him or release him the rest of the bonus ($16M) gets shoved into their salary cap for a year. The cap this year is $80M for the team and so $16M is 20% of the cap for the whole team.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 03-01-2004 11:24 PM

Good post Sportscurm.....you know I was joking though about the quid pro quo. I do think it will help though that we just gave Portis a nice fat contract.

Ghost 03-02-2004 01:09 AM

If I'm Kearse and I even suspect that Rosenhaus is playing games with my money, I'm on the phone ASAP giving him his pink slip. I don't think the Portis deal will have any effect on the Kearse negotiations whatsoever.

That said, I sincerely hope the Skins pass on Kearse, who is overrated and WAY too expensive. Seems like every player in the NFL thinks he's worth $20 million these days ... even if he's practically missing half-seasons due to injury. That's like me calling in sick every few days and demanding a big raise at the end of the year. We should pick up the other DT from Tennessee plus Grant Wistrom for the same price. Kearse is a huge risk.

BrunellFan 03-02-2004 02:59 AM

What Danny Snyder wants... Danny Snyder gets...

at least in free agency...

and right now, im betting Danny wants to get his FREAK ON!

Skins fan 44 03-02-2004 08:46 AM

I agree Grant Winstrom would work better than Kearse. Kearse is always hurt.

Mexskins 03-02-2004 09:04 AM

They can have The Freak. We need younger and healthier DE.

Winstrom is an excellent idea.