Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Smoot: Time to sit on the bench. (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=25211)

The Goat 09-15-2008 12:28 AM

Re: Smoot: Time to sit on the bench.

[quote=GTripp0012;476831]He was pretty flat awful in NY, often against 3rd and 4th WRs.

I haven't had time to review the tape, but he was a lot better today I think.[/quote]

Huh, the only times I remember Smooty getting beat in NY was against Plaxico (if memory serves) and that only really lasted through the first-half. Rogers had some blown coverages as well but I expected it as he got a feel for the knee.

GMScud 09-15-2008 12:36 AM

This thread is at least 2 or 3 bad games premature. I went back to the DVR and watched a bunch of the game. He didn't look bad at all. Understandable that he needed a few breathers given his back/hip, and Torrence filled in admirably (and played very well on teams today). Smoot definitely didn't do anything worthy of the slightest panic, let alone a benching.

Also, I've read just about every recap and article I can find about the game, and I haven't read a single sentence suggesting Smoot's struggling (yeah, I said it).

The Goat 09-15-2008 01:36 AM

In a sense this thread brought up a positive - Torrence. I am loving that we've now basically got 4, count 'em, 4 corners that can play in the NFL. Torrence always had so much speed it was just a matter of his skill developing and it looks like we're seeing it happen.

GTripp0012 09-15-2008 01:56 AM

[quote=The Goat;476834]Huh, the only times I remember Smooty getting beat in NY was against Plaxico (if memory serves) and that only really lasted through the first-half. Rogers had some blown coverages as well but I expected it as he got a feel for the knee.[/quote]Sinorce Moss made him look absolutely silly on one play, and Steve Smith burnt him twice. Burress beat him every time they matched up, and if memory serves, Toomer got him a few times as well.

I noticed in the Giants game that when Smoot left, the pass d did not suffer any sort of dropoff.

I'll have to review the tape to see if Smoot improved.

BleedBurgundy 09-15-2008 09:01 AM

[quote=GTripp0012;476851]Sinorce Moss made him look absolutely silly on one play, and Steve Smith burnt him twice. Burress beat him every time they matched up, and if memory serves, Toomer got him a few times as well.

I noticed in the Giants game that when Smoot left, the pass d did not suffer any sort of dropoff.

I'll have to review the tape to see if Smoot improved.[/quote]

Agreed.

He seems to be giving way too much cushion on 3rd down. Also, the tipped ball was against Shockey, while a good player, isn't exactly a burner. I think most nickleback's in the league should be able to handle a tight end.

MTK 09-15-2008 09:03 AM

Smoot got abused against NY but I didn't see his play yesterday as a problem at all.

Southpaw 09-15-2008 09:14 AM

Fred Smoot should not be covering a starting wide receiver on third down. He doesn't get burned deep, but that's because he plays with a ridiculous cushion on every passing down. I was at the game, and watched him give an eight yard cushion on multiple third and shorts. It's like the term press coverage isn't even in his vocabulary.

And while I do think he should be on the field in nickel situations, he's a liability when he's one on one. I'm hoping it's because he's banged up, but he's always been pretty soft in single coverage.

doughtydoubter 09-15-2008 09:20 AM

Ohhh geez...can you guys go oe game with out calling for someones head???:frusty:

T.O.Killa 09-15-2008 10:32 PM

[quote=Southpaw;476912]Fred Smoot should not be covering a starting wide receiver on third down. He doesn't get burned deep, but that's because he plays with a ridiculous cushion on every passing down. I was at the game, and watched him give an eight yard cushion on multiple third and shorts. It's like the term press coverage isn't even in his vocabulary.

And while I do think he should be on the field in nickel situations, he's a liability when he's one on one. I'm hoping it's because he's banged up, but he's always been pretty soft in single coverage.[/quote]
Man coverage is his strong suite, he loves press coverage, when he is not in press coverage it is because Blache does not want him to.

Ruhskins 09-16-2008 12:18 AM

[quote=doughtydoubter;476919]Ohhh geez...can you guys go oe game with out calling for someones head???:frusty:[/quote]

Says you "doughtydoubter"? LOL. :rofl:

Southpaw 09-16-2008 09:08 AM

[quote=T.O.Killa;477326]Man coverage is his strong suite, he loves press coverage, when he is not in press coverage it is because Blache does not want him to.[/quote]

I know that "keeping the receiver in front of you" is a staple of the Williams/Blache defensive gameplan, but I doubt very seriously that when Fred Smoot gives up seven yards on third and five, Blache is happy, simply because Smoot kept the guy in front of him.

Also Smoot is not, and has never been a suffocating, press coverage corner. His strength has been his ability to read the quarterback and jump routes, and I still believe he's servicable in that capacity. That's why he should be on the field in nickel situations.

firstdown 09-16-2008 09:24 AM

I have not read all the post but wasn't it Smoot who deflected the ball late in the forth that Horton int.? You also have to remember that the Saints have a very good O and our D did a great job keeping them in check.

hesscl34 09-16-2008 09:57 AM

[quote=Hog1;476564]He also had a tip that Horton reeled in today. Shutdown no. Serviceable? YES[/quote]
Exactly, he set up that IT. I didn't see anything terrible out of him.

Lotus 09-16-2008 03:28 PM

[quote=hesscl34;477398]Exactly, he set up that IT. I didn't see anything terrible out of him.[/quote]

In many ways it was Smoot's interception. Smoot doesn't make the play, neither does Horton.

Smoot is not our best corner. But he is good for a nickle back and we are fortunate to have him on our defense.