Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Drafting a QB? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=63875)

30gut 04-14-2017 08:24 AM

Drafting a QB?

Do you think the front office will and should draft a quarterback this draft?

If you think they will or should what round do you think they will select a quarterback?

skinsfan69 04-14-2017 09:47 AM

Re: Drafting a QB?

Knowing how Dan and Bruce operate, I expect them to draft someone within the first 3 rounds. I wouldn't be shocked if they took someone in the first round since they have no inclination to sign KC to a long term deal.

I don't think any of these QB's are worthy of being 1st rounders. Tribisky? Give me a break. He couldn't beat out a running QB and had one good year. All of them are projects. I think if Kaaya gets with the right coach he could be a really good QB. He may be the only one who actually got under center and ran a pro offense.

Irrefutable 04-14-2017 10:09 AM

No, he will not play this year and it is a weak QB draft.

rocnrik 04-14-2017 10:11 AM

not saying should draft a QB..but don't be surprised if a few of those guys end up being very good pro QB's...

skinsfaninok 04-14-2017 12:26 PM

If Trubisky is there at 17, it is tempting.. If we don't draft a QB, u would think KC will get a long deal

Ruhskins 04-14-2017 12:32 PM

I guess it depends on whether or not they feel they have something in Sudfeld and/or how long they think McCoy will be around. He's 30 years old, I know it is not old for a QB, but who knows.

I doubt they'd draft someone in the first three rounds. Too many needs elsewhere to spend on a QB. Unless someone really good drops in the draft.

30gut 04-14-2017 12:36 PM

caveat emptor:

I am genuinely interested in what people think about the current QB situation in relation to the draft.

It is my nature to ask questions, hopefully there can be discussion.

30gut 04-14-2017 12:40 PM

To me the unsettled nature of Kirk's long term contract is the key factor.

I think if a long term contract was possible they would have done it by now.

I can't imagine a worse scenario then to lose Kirk next year and start brand new at QB in 2018.

30gut 04-14-2017 12:43 PM

[quote=Irrefutable;1169288]No, he will not play this year and it is a weak QB draft.[/quote]What if they aren't able to get a long term deal done with Kirk? What happens at QB then?

30gut 04-14-2017 12:48 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;1169287]Knowing how Dan and Bruce operate, I expect them to draft someone within the first 3 rounds. I wouldn't be shocked if they took someone in the first round since they have no inclination to sign KC to a long term deal.[/quote]This is close to what I think. Based on where they are now with Kirk's contract it seems smart for the FO to have viable contingency plans at the QB position.

Irrefutable 04-14-2017 01:19 PM

[quote=30gut;1169296]What if they aren't able to get a long term deal done with Kirk? What happens at QB then?[/quote]

then you draft a QB in 2018 and have him compete with Colt for the starting job. And save $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for other free agents

MTK 04-14-2017 04:27 PM

Drafting a QB?

I can't see taking a QB before round 5. Take one early on and they're pretty much setting up a season full of stupid drama.

VTSkins1961 04-14-2017 05:26 PM

Hate to say it but if a long term contract isn't attainable with Cousins then I would trade him to the highest bidder for picks...

Alvin Walton 04-14-2017 05:29 PM

Nope, I doubt it.
Maybe a UDFA but thats about it.

30gut 04-14-2017 05:50 PM

[quote=MTK;1169302]I can't see taking a QB before round 5. Take one early on and they're pretty much setting up a season full of stupid drama.[/quote]Isn't a little drama (who are kidding drama is the norm here) worth protecting the team if/when Kirk walks?

I just can't get comfortable with Kirk not having a long term contract yet. It seems like the possibility of Kirk walking is real. And it only seems prudent to be prepared.

SolidSnake84 04-14-2017 07:04 PM

[quote=30gut;1169296]What if they aren't able to get a long term deal done with Kirk? What happens at QB then?[/quote]

Do not hold your breath about a long term deal. The only offer that we know of so far was described as being "Around 20 million" a season, that was based heavily on incentives. If Kirk met all the bench marks, he would earn "around" 20 million a year.

I think obviously in this situation that no deal is reached, Cousins leaves in 2018, and you could have a possible three way battle for the starting job between McCoy, Sudfeld, and whoever we draft at QB this year.

The redskins are drafting a QB, bank on it. They botched the Cousins thing too bad to recover from it. They are thinking now about plan B. Lots of egos involved here and nobody is going to apologize to Kirk or his agent and try to renegotiate. I think with that being known by all, i am baffled as to why they don't trade Cousins now and get the picks for their replacement option....

DYoungJelly 04-14-2017 07:38 PM

[quote=SolidSnake84;1169309]Do not hold your breath about a long term deal.

They are thinking now about plan B. Lots of egos involved here and nobody is going to apologize to Kirk or his agent and try to renegotiate.[/quote]

You are so on point here. They have been valuing and negotiating with him based on his talent level and ability. He is a really good QB that can win games. He isn't great.

The situation and the market dictate the team pay him "great QB" money because he is going to get it somewhere some time.

Even if he has a STINKER of a season he is going to get top money in San Fran or with 6 to 8 other teams next year.

They have screwed this up from the beginning .

Irrefutable 04-14-2017 08:21 PM

[quote=SolidSnake84;1169309]Do not hold your breath about a long term deal. The only offer that we know of so far was described as being "Around 20 million" a season, that was based heavily on incentives. If Kirk met all the bench marks, he would earn "around" 20 million a year.

I think obviously in this situation that no deal is reached, Cousins leaves in 2018, and you could have a possible three way battle for the starting job between McCoy, Sudfeld, and whoever we draft at QB this year.

The redskins are drafting a QB, bank on it. They botched the Cousins thing too bad to recover from it. They are thinking now about plan B. Lots of egos involved here and nobody is going to apologize to Kirk or his agent and try to renegotiate. I think with that being known by all, i am baffled as to why they don't trade Cousins now and get the picks for their replacement option....[/quote]

No one is going to trade for KC unless they can agree to a long term contract prior to the trade. And it is going to probably take over $25 million a year to keep him. I doubt many teams will give up over a $100 million dollars plus high picks for KC.... I hope I am wrong, a trade does make sense for the Redskins....it looks like the Redskins lack a plan

WillH 04-14-2017 09:22 PM

I think a long term deal will get done, but there is no guarantee. So, if Peterman is there in the 4th, why not take him. Assuming of corse that they have taken care of defensive needs already.

FlyerSkin 04-14-2017 11:48 PM

[quote=MTK;1169302]I can't see taking a QB before round 5. Take one early on and they're pretty much setting up a season full of stupid drama.[/quote]

I would just wait til next draft to get a QB. Like you said draft one now and the media will be all over it and it will make for a rather messy situation. If Kirk has any real inkling of staying here, that kind of drama will be rather bad. The qb crop this draft isn't so hot. I am glad there is no real hype being generated like with RG III, Manziel, Young, etc. I think some of those guys will pan out, but won't be the next Peyton or Tom.

FlyerSkin 04-14-2017 11:49 PM

This draft is very deep in the positions we need on D to become contenders, we need to focus on that.

30gut 04-15-2017 09:52 AM

[quote=FlyerSkin;1169316]This draft is very deep in the positions we need on D to become contenders, we need to focus on that.[/quote]And if Kirk walks?

skinsfaninok 04-15-2017 10:57 AM

[quote=30gut;1169319]And if Kirk walks?[/quote]

I'm not ruling out a trade to SF, I'm sorry but when there is that much smoke usually there is fire.. I also agree, if he walks after this yr, then what? We would be screwed

Irrefutable 04-15-2017 11:23 AM

Then you deal with it next year. The 2018 QB draft should be better.

If KC wants to leave next year there is almost nothing you can do. The franchise tag would be over $30 million and the Skins cannot afford that. They have a few good players who will be free agents in 2018 too.

Chico23231 04-15-2017 11:40 AM

We look to next years draft. This years isn't great...

30gut 04-15-2017 12:20 PM

[quote=Irrefutable;1169321]Then you deal with it next year. The 2018 QB draft should be better.

If KC wants to leave next year there is almost nothing you can do. The franchise tag would be over $30 million and the Skins cannot afford that. They have a few good players who will be free agents in 2018 too.[/quote]You're right. There is nothing that can be done if you wait and Kirk leaves next year. So why wait? Why not protect your interest now while there is still value to be had?

And who's to say next year's class is better? QB draft classes are like Monet's they look better from a distance.

Irrefutable 04-15-2017 01:56 PM

[quote=30gut;1169323]You're right. There is nothing that can be done if you wait and Kirk leaves next year. So why wait? Why not protect your interest now while there is still value to be had?

And who's to say next year's class is better? QB draft classes are like Monet's they look better from a distance.[/quote]

Why wait ? again, because no one will give you much for a one year rental @ $25 million dollars. If they draft well they could be good next year, and there is a slight chance they can sign KC long term next off-season.

I would be shocked if any team is offering a high 2017 first now.... who knows ?

30gut 04-16-2017 10:31 PM

[quote=Irrefutable;1169326]Why wait ? again, because no one will give you much for a one year rental @ $25 million dollars.[/quote]As opposed to not getting anything IF/When he walks next year.

[quote] If they draft well they could be good next year, and there is a slight chance they can sign KC long term next off-season.[/quote]Haven't the slightest clue to whether Kirk will sign or not. Based on the fact there is currently no deal when there should be if both parties wanted it......seems prudent to prepare for all contingencies.

FlyerSkin 04-17-2017 02:01 PM

[quote=30gut;1169346]As opposed to not getting anything IF/When he walks next year.

Haven't the slightest clue to whether Kirk will sign or not. Based on the fact there is currently no deal when there should be if both parties wanted it......seems prudent to prepare for all contingencies.[/quote]

I agree about being prudent. I think we should work Sudfeld out and see what he can do. I can also see a trade still on the table. There should have been a deal done already if it was really going to happen.

Irrefutable 04-17-2017 02:29 PM

[quote=30gut;1169346]As opposed to not getting anything IF/When he walks next year.

Haven't the slightest clue to whether Kirk will sign or not. Based on the fact there is currently no deal when there should be if both parties wanted it......seems prudent to prepare for all contingencies.[/quote]

If they keep KC for 2017 they should get solid QB play for 1 year. If they trade him ?????.... a second or third round pick ? (you are not getting a first for a rental)

If KC walks in 2018 they actually get a compensatory pick - not sure which round, but probably a late third round pick.

[url=http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2406361-nfl-compensatory-picks-2015-rules-formula-explanation-and-latest-projections]NFL Compensatory Picks 2015: Rules, Formula Explanation and Latest Projections | Bleacher Report[/url]

Chico23231 04-17-2017 02:48 PM

I cant believe folks are suggesting taking a QB with the first pick. Could you imagine the drama?

Alvin Walton 04-17-2017 03:04 PM

[quote=Chico23231;1169359]I cant believe folks are suggesting taking a QB with the first pick. Could you imagine the drama?[/quote]

Yep, also knowing that Cousins is in the weight room at Redskins park today makes it even more silly.

30gut 04-17-2017 03:31 PM

[quote=Alvin Walton;1169360]Yep, also knowing that Cousins is in the weight room at Redskins park today makes it even more silly.[/quote]He's in the weight room signing a long term contract?

30gut 04-17-2017 03:33 PM

[quote=Chico23231;1169359]I cant believe folks are suggesting taking a QB with the first pick. Could you imagine the drama?[/quote]Lol being worried about drama.

I don't give one hoot about drama, I care about being prepared when/if Kirk walks next year.

Chico23231 04-17-2017 03:45 PM

[quote=30gut;1169362]Lol being worried about drama.

I don't give one hoot about drama, I care about being prepared when/if Kirk walks next year.[/quote]

I just rather get a deal done with a proven QB and not throw a wrench at any chance to get one done by the deadline. Drafting a QB would be a bad message, the only way it makes sense is to trade Cousins before the draft.

Ruhskins 04-17-2017 03:48 PM

[quote=Chico23231;1169364]I just rather get a deal done with a proven QB and not throw a wrench at any chance to get one done by the deadline. Drafting a QB would be a bad message, the only way it makes sense is to trade Cousins before the draft.[/quote]

It could also be a bargaining chip, but the team has too many needs to spend it on that.

As I said before, unless they feel like Sudfeld or McCoy would not work out as backup/third stringer, I doubt the team spends any picks on a QB.

30gut 04-17-2017 04:01 PM

[quote=Chico23231;1169364]I just rather get a deal done with a proven QB and not throw a wrench at any chance to get one done by the deadline. Drafting a QB would be a bad message, the only way it makes sense is to trade Cousins before the draft.[/quote]Lol, we would all rather have or get a deal done!

Being that we don't and we're already in vulnerable position and I don't want the FO to compound the situation by ignoring the fact that we might not have a QB next year and unless something is done we'll get no compensation when he leaves.

I'm not gonna sit around with my fingers crossed and hope Kirk wants to stay next year.

Drafting a QB isn't about sending a message it's about having a QB.

I do agree that IF they're not gonna get a deal done then they should go ahead and trade Kirk and get value.

sdskinsfan2001 04-17-2017 05:11 PM

If they actually want to keep Kirk, don't draft a QB at all this year. We already have a good backup and a project qb. You just have to risk it and hope you can sign him by July 15th.

If you don't want to keep him, draft Watson if he's available at 17 or Nathan Peterman if available in round 3. Otherwise wait till next draft or possibly take another late round flyer like Sudfeld.

That's my thought process.

30gut 04-17-2017 09:28 PM

[quote=sdskinsfan2001;1169369]...You just have to risk it and hope you can sign him by July 15th.[/quote]....I know you know the cliché about hope and strategy......

JPPT1974 04-17-2017 09:58 PM

Just need to sign Kirk and give him his long term deal. What is Mr Snyder waiting for?!