Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Current 2014 Free Agents (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=56071)

JoeRedskin 03-05-2014 11:54 AM

Re: Current 2014 Free Agents

[quote=dmek25;1061618][B]why isnt anyone talking about oher[/B]? would love to have him[/quote]

As one site I saw put it: Big name, small game.

He is an upgrade over the current RT but that ain't saying much. Baltimore has issues along its line and is letting him walk. They want to bring back Monroe at LT but it's not a guarantee b/c they don't want to pay top 5 LT salary for him. So, with no guaranteed starter at LT, they let their RT go with no intent of resigning. Oher has never lived up to the billing.

If he comes dirt cheap, sure. I just think we can probably do a lot better.

Monkeydad 03-05-2014 11:55 AM

Oher is a widely-known name but his on-field performance has really fallen off. He lost his job to Eugene Monroe (also a FA) and Baltimore doesn't even want him any more.

I'd take him for depth but not sure he can be trusted as a starter any more, MAYBE at RT, definitely not LT.

Defensewins 03-05-2014 01:52 PM

Would Oher be a better guard? We need a few of those as well.
Is Oher's drop off in play in pass protection or run blocking or overall play?
If it is pass protection, getting out quicked, a move to guard would solve that issue.

over the mountain 03-05-2014 02:05 PM

i dont think Oher has been a LT for a few years now. The ravens used mcKennie at LT before they got monroe.

I think the prob with oher is that he is slow and not good w an outside speed pass rush.

SirLK26 03-05-2014 02:28 PM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;1061371]You better stop making sense, we talked about that.[/quote]

Hey, you know how JoeR is. He never listens when his mother talks. :joecool:

Sorry, EARTHQUAKE; that was just too easy to pass up.

Alvin Walton 03-06-2014 07:06 AM

Devin Hester says he wont be back with the Bears.

[url=http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/10559764/devin-hester-says-back-chicago-bears-next-season]Devin Hester says he won't be back with Chicago Bears next season - ESPN Chicago[/url]

Chico23231 03-06-2014 08:40 AM

Right now we dont have any starting ILBs. I really hope we can lock up Riley at an affordable, multi year deal. If Quell Jax, Spikes are not brought in, I would seriously give Daryl Smith a hard look at a one or 2 year deal. He's been a "quiet baller" his entire career. Good player.

KI Skins Fan 03-06-2014 09:16 AM

Right now, our cap space is approximately $21.5MM but I'm just about certain that we'll have more room than that as FA progresses.

As soon as we reach a long-term agreement with Rak, I think he'll probably help out the team a little by taking perhaps $9.5MM in salary this season, saving the team $2.0MM in cap space. That would take us to $23.5MM.

In my mind, it's a near certainty that we're going to do something to improve the OL. When that happens, some OL currently on the team making approximately $2MM will be cut. That would increase the amount we could spend to $25.5MM.

I think that we need to take advantage of the strong class of FA DE's this year. If we upgrade with a starter there, then Bowen and his $2MM cap number will probably go away. That would mean that we could spend $27.5MM on FA's.

We'll have enough cap space to improve the team. What we shouldn't do is hang on to older, overpaid, under-performing players who can be easily replaced.

One other thing to consider has to do with the typical perception of the FA class on the part of the average fan, including myself. We tend to see our team shopping for the higher priced FA's because those are the players we know. But that is not necessarily going to be the case, except for maybe a couple of players, at most.

If the team's executives were to function that way, we would have no chance of building a winning team. They spend a lot of time and effort scouting and evaluating pro players on other teams. They are going to try very hard (and let's hope they succeed) to identify players who, for whatever reason, will cost less in FA but produce as well as those who would have cost more. Our salary cap dollars may stretch a lot farther than many of us think.

I'm very optimistic about what the Skins can accomplish in FA. I think we have in Bruce Allen a better, more professional GM than we've had for a long time. We'll soon see what he and his team can do.

mredskins 03-06-2014 09:18 AM

[quote=JoeRedskin;1061628]As one site I saw put it: Big name, small game.

He is an upgrade over the current RT but that ain't saying much. Baltimore has issues along its line and is letting him walk. They want to bring back Monroe at LT but it's not a guarantee b/c they don't want to pay top 5 LT salary for him. So, with no guaranteed starter at LT, they let their RT go with no intent of resigning. Oher has never lived up to the billing.

If he comes dirt cheap, sure. I just think we can probably do a lot better.[/quote]

Great post; it basically backs up this article:
[url=http://mmqb.si.com/2014/03/05/nfl-free-agency-risks/?eref=sihp]NFL free agency is about being cautions of risks and red flags | The MMQB with Peter King[/url]

NYCskinfan82 03-07-2014 04:59 PM

I know it's the BR but some nice names [url=http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1984295-under-the-radar-free-agents-washington-redskins-should-pursue]Under-the-Radar Free Agents Washington Redskins Should Pursue | Bleacher Report[/url]

JoeRedskin 03-07-2014 05:33 PM

I love how almost every citing a BR report starts with: "I know it's Bleacher Report [I]but[/I] ..."

Chico23231 03-07-2014 05:41 PM

[quote=JoeRedskin;1061919]I love how almost every citing a BR report starts with: "I know it's Bleacher Report [I]but[/I] ..."[/quote]

Lol yup...that's the br rep.

What's this about h.nicks being a top WR target for da skins? Smoke?

artmonkforhallofamein07 03-07-2014 07:39 PM

Darren Sproiles would be a nice addition to our backfield as well as the return game. We showed interest with MS around. Without a Giovanni Bernard on the roster Gruden may like this guy. If we could add a WR and Sproiles it would give us some excitement to our offense.

But we have so many needs I just want to see what the FO had planned to turn over this roster.

Link to his release per the ST thread

[url=http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331805/article/new-orleans-saints-to-release-darren-sproles]Darren Sproles to be released by New Orleans Saints - NFL.com[/url]

Mechanix544 03-07-2014 09:57 PM

why would we add sproles, who is probably looking to get alot more than we are willing to pay for a return man. Our running game is top 5 in the NFL, we just need to find a returner with a bit of vision who can hold on to the ball. Plus, what has that guy really done running the ball since 2010 or 2011? Not much. The guy is more receiver than a running back. Not really what we need, another small receiver who's stats are inflated due to checkdowns.

Plus, after looking at his stats, his kickoff returns the previous 2 years average just over 21 yards.........not really the gamechanger I'm sure he would want to get paid like, plus, in 9 seasons, he only has 3 PR TD's, and is on the wrong side of 30. PASS.

GTripp0012 03-08-2014 01:47 AM

I'm pretty surprised that the effective part of Sproles' career lasted this long, actually. I really liked Darren Sproles coming out of K-State, but I wasn't sure any team would fine a role for him. I was pleasantly surprised when not just one, but two organizations turned him into a viable fantasy football option.