Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How the draft looks if we trade down (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=60422)

Orakpwned 12-30-2014 02:34 PM

How the draft looks if we trade down

Saw this today, and it had us trading down to 11. I like it. There are a good amount of tackles available that are all very similar and we have major depth issues on defense and could use the 2nd rounder or so we get in a deal. RT is obviously a big need so I think we need to address that or secondary help in the 1st.

Here's the link:

[url=http://walterfootball.com/draft2015overreaction.php]WalterFootball.com: 2015 NFL Mock Draft - Overreaction[/url]

EARTHQUAKE2689 12-30-2014 02:37 PM

Re: How the draft looks if we trade down

F....trading down. Stay where you are and take the best player available. Unless someone offers some RG3 type trade to move up.

Evilgrin 12-30-2014 02:42 PM

Trade down and grab as many picks as possible, need as many new players as you can.

Lotus 12-30-2014 02:45 PM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;1102300]F....trading down. Stay where you are and take the best player available. Unless someone offers some RG3 type trade to move up.[/quote]

Personally I would like to invest the OL with several high picks. The best way to do this is to trade down. A trade down means we can leave the draft with a first round tackle and a second round guard, and still have picks for other areas.

Unless Leonard Williams miraculously drops to five. He's too rare a talent to pass up.

Irrefutable 12-30-2014 02:56 PM

trading down is a no brainer, the Redskins need to add a least 10 good players. They got 2 in the draft last year- granted they did not have a first round pick.

Orakpwned 12-30-2014 03:01 PM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;1102300]F....trading down. Stay where you are and take the best player available. Unless someone offers some RG3 type trade to move up.[/quote]

So if we got a high 2nd rounder and a late rounder (2.11 and 6.11?) you wouldn't go down to 11? I would.

Orakpwned 12-30-2014 03:02 PM

[quote=Irrefutable;1102308]trading down is a no brainer, the Redskins need to add a least 10 good players. They got 2 in the draft last year- granted they did not have a first round pick.[/quote]

I agree, there is a decent amount of CB and T depth that some will fall to the 2nd. Having a mid 1st, and two 2nds to take advantage of that would be huge.

SFREDSKIN 12-30-2014 03:34 PM

With the number of holes the team has, trading down is the way to go unless of course Leonard Williams falls on our laps. We need to get as many picks for this year as possible

WestCoastSkinsFan 12-30-2014 03:40 PM

[quote=Orakpwned;1102297]Saw this today, and it had us trading down to 11. I like it. There are a good amount of tackles available that are all very similar and we have major depth issues on defense and could use the 2nd rounder or so we get in a deal. RT is obviously a big need so I think we need to address that or secondary help in the 1st.

Here's the link:

[url=http://walterfootball.com/draft2015overreaction.php]WalterFootball.com: 2015 NFL Mock Draft - Overreaction[/url][/quote]

I'm a little torn here.

I've always enjoyed the idea of trading down. More picks = better, right? But we have so many areas of need that the idea of missing out on the top prospect at a position of need also makes me squeamish.

For example, what if Leonard Williams is sitting right there? At what point is a trade worth missing out on a potentially game-changing player at a position of need? It's got to be something nuts that we get in return.

Lotus 12-30-2014 04:08 PM

BTW I mentioned Leonard Williams but he is so very unlikely to fall to five that we are foolish to continue the discussion with him in it.

So the question is, who may there at five that we MUST have? And if the answer is, "no one," then why not trade down?

For me the two-cents answer is "no one," although a strong case can be made for Gregory.

Irrefutable 12-30-2014 04:19 PM

[quote=Lotus;1102324]BTW I mentioned Leonard Williams but he is so very unlikely to fall to five that we are foolish to continue the discussion with him in it.

So the question is, who may there at five that we MUST have? And if the answer is, "no one," then why not trade down?

For me the two-cents answer is "no one," although a strong case can be made for Gregory.[/quote]

If Leonard Williams or a QB falls to #5 then trade the pick for multiple draft choices.... it is going to take a lot of great picks, and free- agents to turn things around

EARTHQUAKE2689 12-30-2014 04:20 PM

[quote=Orakpwned;1102310]So if we got a high 2nd rounder and a late rounder (2.11 and 6.11?) you wouldn't go down to 11? I would.[/quote]

We did that in 2011 and it got us Jarvis Jenkins. I wanna stay where we are and take the BPA

EARTHQUAKE2689 12-30-2014 04:22 PM

[quote=Lotus;1102324]BTW I mentioned Leonard Williams but he is so very unlikely to fall to five that we are foolish to continue the discussion with him in it.

For me the two-cents answer is "no one," although a strong case can be made for Gregory.[/quote]

Leonard Williams could very well be there. Although you could make a case for Shane Ray as well. Tampa and Tennessee are likely to go QB, Jacksonville and Oakland are the main threats for him, Oakland specifically.

British Andy 12-30-2014 04:31 PM

[quote=SFREDSKIN;1102314]With the number of holes the team has, trading down is the way to go unless of course Leonard Williams falls on our laps. We need to get as many picks for this year as possible[/quote]

This.

:joecool:

Lotus 12-30-2014 05:06 PM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;1102328]Leonard Williams could very well be there. Although you could make a case for Shane Ray as well. Tampa and Tennessee are likely to go QB, Jacksonville and Oakland are the main threats for him, Oakland specifically.[/quote]

You could be right and I understand your logic. I'm still miffed that we could have had JJ Watt but traded down instead.

I'm guessing, though, that Winston and Mariota will not be valued as highly by real teams as they are by the numerous draft sites which have them going at the top.

The QB's who were supposed to revolutionize the game: RGIII, Kaep, Newton, etc., have mostly struggled (Russell Wilson excepted). So I think more GM's will be cautious about drafting nontraditional QB's like Mariota or Winston. The game has caught up with the "running" QB.

Which is a long way of saying that I don't see Leonard Williams dropping to five. Just my two cents.