Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Stafford in WFT Plans? He’s Available (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64807)

Chico23231 01-23-2021 06:45 PM

Stafford in WFT Plans? He’s Available

[url]https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30766102/detroit-lions-actively-seek-trade-qb-matthew-stafford-sources-say[/url]

Detroit Lions to actively seek trade for QB Matthew Stafford, sources say

In an arrangement the two sides have discussed and mutually agreed upon, quarterback Matthew Stafford is expected to not return to the Lions this offseason, with Detroit listening to trade offers for its former No. 1 overall pick starting this week, league sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Saturday.

Per Adam Schefter

As much as Schefty is dope...he is usually right with his info.

So get in now with your opinion and don’t give me this “on the fence” bs or comment after the fact. Don’t be a fan later

Do you want him yes or no? What are you giving up?

Yes from me I’m sending our first to start with and a second next year to seal it.

I’m going to restructure do a 5 year deal to spread the cap hit out

sdskinsfan2001 01-23-2021 06:50 PM

Re: Stafford in WFT Plans? He’s Available

I'll go bold, I'll place us as the odds on favorites to land him.

Let's fucking go.

[IMG]https://media.giphy.com/media/3oEdvcSvufudVQ8ZRm/giphy.gif[/IMG]

Chico23231 01-23-2021 07:20 PM

Martin Mayhew has a history with Stafford, could be a positive

Ron, Mayhew and Hurney...all right, everyone comfortable now?...Good, get out there and do your job NOW!

Don’t fuck this up and miss a big opportunity. Your first test, pass it

AnonEmouse 01-23-2021 07:22 PM

I agree with that, 1st now, 2nd later, possibly a player to sweeten the deal. Makes sense then to go after Golladay (as one of, not the only WR) in FA if we land Stafford.

Warthog 01-23-2021 07:53 PM

I want him, UNLESS, Watson is also available. Stafford is going to be an excellent QB for at least 5 years. We already have Heinicke, so Stafford will get us the steady, elite QB play we need to win in the NFC East.

I’ve already predicted a bidding battle for Stafford. Something on the order of a couple firsts and maybe even a player. I’ve taken some heat for this prediction and they may be right and I may have overstated his value. In the end, it just depends on how many teams go “all in” for him. Is Rivera ready to really go after this player? Rivera has a new GM and new VP for Personnel - both are older, experienced and certainly can mount a successful offense for Stafford, if that’s what Rivera wants.

If Rivera wants Stafford, he can get him. Watson may not even be available this off-season and will certainly be more expensive (regarding draft picks) than Watson if he does comes out. To get one of the top three Qb in the draft, the WFT will have to TRADE UP. A lot.

The off-season is already heating up! Can’t wait to see who the WFT procure in this off-season!!

Chico23231 01-23-2021 07:54 PM

[quote=AnonEmouse;1275108]I agree with that, 1st now, 2nd later, possibly a player to sweeten the deal. Makes sense then to go after Golladay (as one of, not the only WR) in FA if we land Stafford.[/quote]

Ya know, with Terry here...I rather us go with the other lions available WR, Marvin Jones (2 year deal) and pair that with Curtis Samuel (4 year deal).

A lot of people want a true no1..I rather get guys who complement Terry and set him up as that no1 guy. Jones, Samuel and Terry all have great speed and good hands.

SkinzWin 01-23-2021 08:04 PM

[quote=Warthog;1275111]I want him, UNLESS, Watson is also available. Stafford is going to be an excellent QB for at least 5 years. We already have Heinicke, so Stafford will get us the steady, elite QB play we need to win in the NFC East.

I’ve already predicted a bidding battle for Stafford. Something on the order of a couple firsts and maybe even a player. I’ve taken some heat for this prediction and they may be right and I may have overstated his value. In the end, it just depends on how many teams go “all in” for him. Is Rivera ready to really go after this player? Rivera has a new GM and new VP for Personnel - both are older, experienced and certainly can mount a successful offense for Stafford, if that’s what Rivera wants.

If Rivera wants Stafford, he can get him. Watson may not even be available this off-season and will certainly be more expensive (regarding draft picks) than Watson if he does comes out. To get one of the top three Qb in the draft, the WFT will have to TRADE UP. A lot.

The off-season is already heating up! Can’t wait to see who the WFT procure in this off-season!![/quote]

Watson is available. Just not to us. He already has been reported to say his two top choices are the Jets and Dolphins. With his no trade clause he can say no if he doesn’t like it. He holds the cards. Plus I’m really warming up to Stafford anyway as you will have to give up sooooo much for Watson, the cost will be less for Stafford and with the Mayhew connection the stars are aligning. Let’s goooo!!

Daseal 01-23-2021 08:10 PM

I'll be the odd man out here. I don't want Stafford. He's likely more talented than anyone on our roster - but he's on the wrong side of 30, is a perennial loser even with pretty decent offensive weapons, and would have us giving up draft capital to get him. Not everyone is Tom Brady that can play until they're 40, especially a player that hasn't proven they can elevate the talent around them.

I think we saw during the playoffs we're way more than just a QB away from being a perennial competitor. Henicke had an exceptional game in the playoffs that still wasn't able to bring it home, largely due to large gaps with our LBs, WRs, and DBs.

Honestly, I'm okay seeing what we have in Henicke and Allen this season at QB - or going after a younger vet that would take less/no draft capital (Mariotta, Dak, etc.) while building up the team around. If those players do poorly this year, start looking to being aggressive in the draft for a long-term answer.

Chico23231 01-23-2021 08:11 PM

[quote=SkinzWin;1275117]Watson is available. Just not to us. He already has been reported to say his two top choices are the Jets and Dolphins. With his no trade clause he can say no if he doesn’t like it. He holds the cards. Plus I’m really warming up to Stafford anyway as you will have to give up sooooo much for Watson, the cost will be less for Stafford and with the Mayhew connection the stars are aligning. Let’s goooo!![/quote]

Warpath Team Stafford Fan Club

Chico - Dictator
SkinzWin - *seat available upon resignation*

Pervis_Griffith 01-23-2021 08:15 PM

Fuck it ... I'm in.

For your price. 1st now, and a 2nd next year. That won't sting too much. Much more than that, we should be aiming for Watson.

I prefer Allen Robinson as a WR free agent acquisition. And let the younger guys we have continue to grow.

And I wouldn't mind spending some cash on a stud O-Lineman. Stafford needs to be protected -- he's had some injury issues in the past.

But with Stafford, we instantly jump into "playoff noise contention".

CRedskinsRule 01-23-2021 08:27 PM

I am in on Stafford and I give up our 1st and either late 3rd or 4th this year and a conditional next year. We need a solid qb and Stafford gives us that. Stafford/Heinicke/Allen is a strong qb room, and draft a LB and take shots in FA and draft for WRs and other positions.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Chico23231 01-23-2021 10:39 PM

[quote=Daseal;1275119]I'll be the odd man out here. I don't want Stafford. He's likely more talented than anyone on our roster - but he's on the wrong side of 30, is a perennial loser even with pretty decent offensive weapons, and would have us giving up draft capital to get him. Not everyone is Tom Brady that can play until they're 40, especially a player that hasn't proven they can elevate the talent around them.

I think we saw during the playoffs we're way more than just a QB away from being a perennial competitor. Henicke had an exceptional game in the playoffs that still wasn't able to bring it home, largely due to large gaps with our LBs, WRs, and DBs.

Honestly, I'm okay seeing what we have in Henicke and Allen this season at QB - or going after a younger vet that would take less/no draft capital (Mariotta, Dak, etc.) while building up the team around. If those players do poorly this year, start looking to being aggressive in the draft for a long-term answer.[/quote]

The problem in waiting is Stafford quality qb rarely come available...also he is a known commodity. The draft is unknown with a defense ready to win NOW.

Chief X_Phackter 01-23-2021 10:56 PM

I'd be in the mix for him, but only if they are able to lock him up for at least four, preferably five years. As it stand now, he's set to be an unrestricted FA in 2023. I think the #19 pick and next year's 2nd round pick is my ceiling for him, but I'm not giving that up for a two year rental.

Chief X_Phackter 01-23-2021 11:07 PM

[quote=Chico23231;1275133]The problem in waiting is Stafford quality qb rarely come available...also he is a known commodity. The draft is unknown with a [B]defense ready to win NOW.[/B][/quote]

The D-line is very good, and the defense is good overall, but it's not really ready to win now. They need some more pieces before we can say that. They won't get the same luck next year, with regard to the strength of schedule - and playing a bunch of backup QBs on top of that. They can't afford to be giving away a bunch of picks and players to land Stafford. No doubt he'd make the offense better, but it's still a .500ish team if we roll out there with this defense against next year's schedule - even with Stafford.

SkinzWin 01-23-2021 11:18 PM

[quote=Chico23231;1275120]Warpath Team Stafford Fan Club

Chico - Dictator
SkinzWin - *seat available upon resignation*[/quote]

Looks here. I can be team both. Matt gives us two super bowl rings in the next 4 years and then Heinicke takes over to add a couple more over the next 4 years.