Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Taylor Effing Heinicke (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64796)

MTK 01-11-2021 09:17 AM

Taylor Effing Heinicke

[URL="https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30684446/washington-qb-taylor-heinicke-makes-case-this-league-little-longer-effort-vs-tampa-bay-buccaneers"]Washington QB Taylor Heinicke makes case to 'be in this league a little longer' with effort vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers[/URL]

What else can you say, he balled the hell out against TB and also looked very good against Carolina. So now the obvious question for the future, is he a legit starting QB? At the very least he's certainly earned a spot going forward as a backup, no question he should be brought back next year. I think there are legit concerns about his durability. A guy his size just can't get away with playing as recklessly as he does and survive a full season. I also think his arm strength isn't quite what you want, but he throws with good anticipation to make up for it.

What do you guys think?

mredskins 01-11-2021 09:19 AM

Re: Taylor Effing Heinicke

Tbnt

Schneed10 01-11-2021 09:41 AM

Love him, he needs to be here after that performance.

I just can't go into next season with him as the starter though. In his NFL debut on Christmas in 2017 with the Texans, he came in for TJ Yates after he got hurt, and Heinicke suffered a concussion. In the only other game he ever started in his NFL career, he broke his collarbone. And then in this game against the Bucs, he separates his shoulder.

He's not built to withstand the rigors of an NFL season, and if he plays like you'd want him to (AKA scramble and dive for the pylon like that), he won't make it past the first 4 games, lock.

But he's a great backup. I'd still look to acquire QBx in the offseason, someone with credibility who we could go into the season with confidence. I'd prefer to aim very high. Taylor can back that player up and put us in a position where if we need to get by for a few games without our guy, we won't miss a beat.

AnonEmouse 01-11-2021 09:55 AM

I'd be OK bringing him and Allen back to battle it out, but that's likely for QB2. I think after the other night he offers more than Allen, but we'll be looking at what happens in camp, not 1 game in January. Taylor has to stay healthy to be considered a legitimate option as either '1 or '2, but I certainly don't see him as able to stay the starter for 3-5 seasons. Might not make it 3-5 games!

Must draft a QB1 this year or next.

Ruhskins 01-11-2021 09:56 AM

[quote=Schneed10;1273630]Love him, he needs to be here after that performance.

I just can't go into next season with him as the starter though. In his NFL debut on Christmas in 2017 with the Texans, he came in for TJ Yates after he got hurt, and Heinicke suffered a concussion. In the only other game he ever started in his NFL career, he broke his collarbone. And then in this game against the Bucs, he separates his shoulder.

He's not built to withstand the rigors of an NFL season, and if he plays like you'd want him to (AKA scramble and dive for the pylon like that), he won't make it past the first 4 games, lock.

But he's a great backup. I'd still look to acquire QBx in the offseason, someone with credibility who we could go into the season with confidence. I'd prefer to aim very high. Taylor can back that player up and put us in a position where if we need to get by for a few games without our guy, we won't miss a beat.[/quote]

I think this sums it up for me as well. Loved what he did, I just don't think he's sustainable as a starter. I think he'll be a great back up, probably even better than Kyle Allen IMO.

SunnySide 01-11-2021 10:00 AM

Loved the gutsy performance. Seems to make good reads and is decisive with the ball. Appears to have a somewhat weaker arm but can get the ball there. Good scrambling.

But I dont think you can rely on him as a starter bc of durability concerns.

Kyle Allen is our backup QB and Id like to draft a late round Qb to develop as our QB3.

Colt McCoy 2.0 imo.

skinsfaninok 01-11-2021 10:05 AM

[quote=Schneed10;1273630]Love him, he needs to be here after that performance.

But he's a great backup. I'd still look to acquire QBx in the offseason, someone with credibility who we could go into the season with confidence. I'd prefer to aim very high. Taylor can back that player up and put us in a position where if we need to get by for a few games without our guy, we won't miss a beat.[/quote]

He looked so small compared to TB12 after the game.. I think he needs to bulk up for sure but he has potential. I agree though, he's not the starter

skinsfaninok 01-11-2021 10:05 AM

[quote=SunnySide;1273636]Loved the gutsy performance. Seems to make good reads and is decisive with the ball. Appears to have a somewhat weaker arm but can get the ball there. Good scrambling.

But I dont think you can rely on him as a starter bc of durability concerns.

Kyle Allen is our backup QB and Id like to draft a late round Qb to develop as our QB3.

Colt McCoy 2.0 imo.[/quote]

So who do you have as the starter? Stafford?

punch it in 01-11-2021 10:15 AM

Taylor Effing Heinicke

If Smith or Allen is on this team next year along with Heineken and Heineken earns the starting job then he plays until he gets injured. If he gets injured. Im just going to say that injuries are probably a little easier to come by when you are getting a start once every one to two years. Trying to do too much, always giving it 110 percent because you know you constantly have to prove yourself. Look how this latest injury occurred. A dive from the four yard line. That is a guy trying to prove himself.
If the bring in a Stafford than that changes everything. You certainly keep the man as a backup either way.
And Colt McCoy 2.0 he is not. Colt gets to stick around with his less than mediocre play because he went to Texas. Heineken played better in five quarters than McCoy has played in five years.

skinsfan69 01-11-2021 10:15 AM

He has earned the right to compete for the job. But they need to also draft someone and start drafting a QB every year, like Bobby B use to do.

Heinike needs to live in the weight room and get his body stronger. But some guys ( Jordan Reed) are not built for the NFL and he may be one of those guys.

As far as his performance you could not have asked for more. That was the best QBing we have seen since Cousins.

skinsfan69 01-11-2021 10:17 AM

[quote=punch it in;1273644]If Smith or Allen is on this team next year along with Heineken and Heineken earns the starting job then he plays until he gets injured. If he gets injured. Im just going to say that injuries are probably a little easier to come by when you are getting a start once every one to two years. Trying to do too much, always giving it 110 percent because you know you constantly have to prove yourself. Look how this latest injury occurred. A dive from the four yard line. That is a guy trying to prove himself.
If the bring in a Stafford than that changes everything. You certainly keep the man as a backup either way.[/quote]

I'd say Smith is out. I doubt they bring him back and he probably will retire anyway.

skinsfaninok 01-11-2021 10:18 AM

Smith needs to hang it up, he did his job this yr and went out with a Win.

SunnySide 01-11-2021 10:22 AM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1273639]So who do you have as the starter? Stafford?[/quote]

No one knows who the realistic options are at this point. Do we fall in love with Zach Wilson and trade up? Is a Stafford or Watson available for trade? Will Drew Brees or Jimmy G be released? Does Mac Jones or Trey Lance fall to #19? Do we pay Dak? Will Rodgers be traded?

Im hoping Stafford is available and reasonable ... or another vet becomes available bc of the shrinking cap situation.

I do know one thing. Even if I thought Heinicke was a starting caliber QB, I still wouldnt trust him with all my preseason 1st team reps bc by week 2 or 3, hes out and youre playing your backup.

Kid played great under the circumstances. While injuries can be random, we cant go another season playing 4 different QBs bc of injuries.

gibbsrcnfan 01-11-2021 10:29 AM

i was very impressed very gutsy but solid backup in IMO..

AnonEmouse 01-11-2021 10:33 AM

[quote=punch it in;1273644]If Smith or Allen is on this team next year along with Heineken and Heineken earns the starting job then he plays until he gets injured. If he gets injured. Im just going to say that injuries are probably a little easier to come by when you are getting a start once every one to two years. Trying to do too much, always giving it 110 percent because you know you constantly have to prove yourself. Look how this latest injury occurred. A dive from the four yard line. That is a guy trying to prove himself.
If the bring in a Stafford than that changes everything. You certainly keep the man as a backup either way.
And Colt McCoy 2.0 he is not. Colt gets to stick around with his less than mediocre play because he went to Texas. Heineken played better in five quarters than McCoy has played in five years.[/quote]

It wasn't the EZ dive he hurt it, it was on a subsequent sack. Landed on his left shoulder. Not down to his trying too hard, down to coming down a DL on top of him. That is going to happen quite frequently in the NFL, and does call into question his durability.