Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Fake Redskins fans (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=10078)

PorterHouse 01-02-2006 05:18 PM

Fake Redskins fans

I gotta a question--am I the only person that notices the emergence of an awful alot of Redskins fans lately? I mean I love the fact that I have more people to talk to about one of my favorite subjects( The Skins) But if you cant tell me the last time we won a super bowl-------YOUR A FAKE REDSKINS FAN

SkinsLove24/7 01-02-2006 05:55 PM

Re: -----------Fake Redskins fans-------------

1991...so I guess im a fan in your book.

amorentz 01-02-2006 06:02 PM

I for one have much higher standards for a fan...I want people to be able to talk about our low round draft picks from 3 years ago and be able to name the roster at least two deep!

(This isnt an invitation for people to start naming the Skins roster -- I, too, have heard of Google)

PorterHouse 01-02-2006 06:06 PM

That not even the half of it , Ive met people that wasnt even a football fan at all and now their die hards---come on now go thru some of the heart aches that we have been goin thru for awhile and still be diehard----then ill say your worthy of the burgundy and gold. Until then take a walk. I cant stand fake people.

CrashRiley 01-02-2006 06:31 PM

I sympathize with ya, man.

I bought my season tickets three years ago, after being on the waiting list since JKC first announced the new stadium, which was back in 1986 I believe. I was #32,428 on the waiting list and I thought that I'd be an old man before I got tickets. I suffered through that last Spurrier season and wished to hell that I'd had season tickets when Joe Gibbs was the coach.

January 7th, 2004 - My prayers were answered.:towel:

To paraphrase Thomas Paine, I can't abide "sunshine fans and summer 'Skins boosters". You're right, where were they when the team was struggling?

Hail to us, the true believers, the ones who live and die with the teams fortunes and bleed burgundy and gold. Our time has come again at last!

mooby 01-02-2006 06:39 PM

I'm a true believer. I've been a fan for about 5 years now. I didn't care about football the last time the skins made the playoffs.

Warpath 01-02-2006 06:44 PM

All I know is that I've been a die hard fan since I was born. I had gear from then until now. I also know that once a team starts doing well, you always get lots of front runners that like to wear the gear of the teams that do well. Its pretty ridiculous. I also can't stand when people say I used to like .......... but now i like ........... Thats also just as bad! I'll always be a die-hard skins fan.

mooby 01-02-2006 06:52 PM

a winning record means we will get bandwagoners. It's just how it is.

dblanch66 01-02-2006 06:58 PM

I'm in LA and went to breakfast this morning wearing my Redskin hat that I've had for 10 years and 2 people commented on the team..
NO ONE was commenting 5 weeks ago. We live in a frontrunning society.

dmek25 01-02-2006 07:14 PM

dblanche hows it hanging?as far as the bandwagon jumpers,just like a party,the more the merrier!as long as they dont take tickets from me

skinsfanthru&thru 01-02-2006 07:54 PM

I think it's rather funny seeing people come out of nowhere to start spouting their belief in how well the skins will do and how they've been rooting for them as long as they can remember. I know for me personally this year has been an awesome feeling after trying to be optimistic about the teams chances, even to a fault some would say, while some other people seem to find reason after reason not to believe in the future of this franchise and some just completely give up hope. I know I'll be praying my heart out at work while the game is going on and until the final whistle blows, I'll believe my team can pull out a win.
:httr: :httr: :httr: :httr: :httr: :httr: :httr: :httr: :httr: :httr: :httr: :httr:

hurrykaine 01-02-2006 09:13 PM

Funny how warpathers are poking fun at new warpath/forum members who have joined in the past few weeks.

Just because some of us have been in here posting messages for 3+ years, that makes us greater fans than those who joined the site a couple of weeks ago? This is the height of internet nerdiness!! We know nothing about those who joined recently. They could be just as die-hard redskins fans as the rest of us. If the moderators were so convinced that all the true fans were already warpath members, then why not just lock up the site and deny these trolls new memberships?

I for one welcome all those who have "crawled out of the woodwork" in recent days and weeks. We need more fans and supporters on here....certainly makes for more opinions, viewpoints and discussions.

Hail to the skins.

sniks 01-02-2006 09:21 PM

why does it matter? We should be happy they finally get the recognition they deserve.Just sit back and enjoy it was a long time coming.The more the merrier.

ST21 01-02-2006 09:22 PM

1982........enough said

GoSkins! 01-02-2006 09:31 PM

Portis, Brunnel, and Eddie Ramsey:silly:

skinsbabe81 01-02-2006 09:37 PM

Just because I just joined the Warpath does not mean that I am a "bandwagon fan". I have been a fan for years, and am driving 15 hours to go to the game, Porterhouse are you making the trip? enjoy the game from your couch nuff said!

skinsguy 01-02-2006 09:40 PM

Been a Redskins fan since 1980 and haven't regretted it since. Yeah, you can't say much about those who are just now joining the forum. It's those who talk crap about the team and once they make the playoffs, they get the "I knew they could do it all along" attitude that burns me up.

4mrusmc 01-02-2006 09:41 PM

Damn, that was harsh Babe.

dblanch66 01-02-2006 09:49 PM

I have no problem with new fans or anyone new who joins the site. I have a problem with those who won't be fans when and if we start sucking. We have suffered for 14 years of turmoil to only have folks jump on and then jump off when times get tough. Some so called "redskin fans" today, will be "BIG browns fans" tomorrow.

hurrykaine 01-02-2006 10:10 PM

[QUOTE=dblanch66]I have no problem with new fans or anyone new who joins the site. I have a problem with those who won't be fans when and if we start sucking.[/QUOTE]

How do you know they're not fans when we suck? Just because they call for certain players to get benched or cut, or start criticizing Gibbs and the coaching staff DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE NOT FANS. They're voicing an opinion, no matter how ill-informed others may perceive it to be.

Similarly, say, if someone joins the site when we're on a win streak, and then takes a long leave of absence when we suck or are eliminated from the playoffs DOES NOT MEAN THEY AREN'T A TRUE FAN. It simply is more fun to join a forum and talk about things when a team is winning.

mooby 01-02-2006 10:52 PM

[QUOTE=hurrykaine]How do you know they're not fans when we suck? Just because they call for certain players to get benched or cut, or start criticizing Gibbs and the coaching staff DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE NOT FANS. They're voicing an opinion, no matter how ill-informed others may perceive it to be.

Similarly, say, if someone joins the site when we're on a win streak, and then takes a long leave of absence when we suck or are eliminated from the playoffs DOES NOT MEAN THEY AREN'T A TRUE FAN. It simply is more fun to join a forum and talk about things when a team is winning.[/QUOTE]

I think he's talking about people that like the redskins today because we are on a win streak and because we are a good team, but then later on you see that same fan on say, the Colts forum after they win a superbowl, talking about how great the colts are, and how he/she loves them so much.

SmootSmack 01-02-2006 11:41 PM

[QUOTE=hurrykaine]How do you know they're not fans when we suck? Just because they call for certain players to get benched or cut, or start criticizing Gibbs and the coaching staff DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE NOT FANS. They're voicing an opinion, no matter how ill-informed others may perceive it to be.

Similarly, say, if someone joins the site when we're on a win streak, and then takes a long leave of absence when we suck or are eliminated from the playoffs DOES NOT MEAN THEY AREN'T A TRUE FAN. It simply is more fun to join a forum and talk about things when a team is winning.[/QUOTE]

True, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets a tad bit frustrated by those who say stuff like "Oh Brunell is starting the Dallas game? Well then, season over. Forget the Redskins!" Or when we had a 3-game losing streak "That's it, I'm done. No playoffs this year. Thanks for wasting another season for me Redskins!"

Then the next thing you know we start winning and they're back. I know it's a natural inclination to get upset by losses or moves you don't agree with. But there were several people who were convinced the playoffs were not going to happen at 5-6 and that the team had let them down again. I remember one person here was like "you've broken my heart too many times Redskins. No more" It just seems odd to bail on the team, or at least say you will, then come right back when they start winning again.

But how long you've been on this board isn't a measure of how big a fan you are.

LongTimeSkinsFan 01-03-2006 12:15 AM

[QUOTE=TAFKAS]But how long you've been on this board isn't a measure of how big a fan you are.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I think how long you've been a fan is as good a measure as any or for that matter, how rabidly you want the skins to win would work too!

Skins fan 44 01-03-2006 01:02 AM

I have been a fan since the days of Billy Kilmore. :towel:

hooskins 01-03-2006 01:11 AM

The only winning season I remember was in 99, so this is basically the first time I have seen people jumping on the skins bandwagon. I guess for alot of people my age its kind of a shock, because all we are use to are people hating on the Skins. So I guess us youngins, not use to fairweather fans, are really mad at them, atleast I think that is what has me extra upset.

jamf 01-03-2006 02:03 AM

You cant measure a real fan by how long they've cheered for a team. I became a redskins fan in january 88 when i met all the players when they were down in san diego for the Superbowl. 5 seconds after meeting Ricky Sanders and Raleigh McKenzie I was a real redskins fan. I guess i could be one of the band wagon people...

But, I have cheered them every single week since. I've watched every schottenheimer game, Every Heath Shular pass, Every Ritchie Petibone Game, ....

If i was forced to create a measuring stick for true redskins fans, i would have to say a Real redskins fan "Suffers" on sunday. Win or Lose. if you think you are a redskins fan and can forget about the previous loss the next day at work, you probably arent a fan. The losses stick with real fans. Thats why the MNF game against dallas was so great, True dallas fans will suffer from that loss for a long time.

I still cant get over Dan Turks botched snap in the last playoff game against tampa. We matched up well with the two super bowl teams. i think we wouldve won that year.

dblanch66 01-03-2006 03:10 AM

[QUOTE=mooby]I think he's talking about people that like the redskins today because we are on a win streak and because we are a good team, but then later on you see that same fan on say, the Colts forum after they win a superbowl, talking about how great the colts are, and how he/she loves them so much.[/QUOTE]
you got it Mooby.

Luxorreb 01-03-2006 05:04 AM

My mom bought me and my brother 'The Wild Bunch' towels at Legget's. Bought me all the NFC East team rings. Always thought Legget's Redskins posters were lame. Just remember shopping for toughskins and making sure I got outta there everytime with some Redskins paraphenalia. That was in 1982 or 1983? I remember 1977 sitting in the kitchen with my mom eating breakfast listening to Billy Kilmer and Chris Hamburger. I remember Charley Taylor for the last year or so of his career. If anyone deserves to go to the Superbowl with me it's my MOM!!! GO REDSKINS!!!

joecrisp 01-03-2006 06:06 AM

[QUOTE=jamf]I've watched every schottenheimer game, Every Heath Shular pass, Every Ritchie Petibone Game, ....

If i was forced to create a measuring stick for true redskins fans, i would have to say a Real redskins fan "Suffers" on sunday. Win or Lose. if you think you are a redskins fan and can forget about the previous loss the next day at work, you probably arent a fan. The losses stick with real fans. Thats why the MNF game against dallas was so great, True dallas fans will suffer from that loss for a long time.[/QUOTE]

Word for word, that probably sums it up best for me...

I think it makes sense that the most passionate fans are the ones who hurt the most when the team struggles. Some of us bitch and moan about how the sky is falling until people want to slap us in the face, others of us just sulk in depressed silence. I'm sure we've all seen a lot of diehard Redskins fans doing those same things as they walk out of FedEx Field after a loss. It doesn't make them lesser fans; they just have a different (if somewhat annoying or disconcerting) way of expressing it or internalizing it.

To paraphrase another longtime Warpather: "Not being eternally optimistic doesn't mean I'm not a diehard Redskins fan."

It just means we deal with the pain differently. How boring would this place be if we all had the same reactions to everything that happens?

Luxorreb 01-03-2006 06:14 AM

Well said Joe. Why hasn't your sportscaster break happened? I'd like to see ya on comcast next season with Chic and Brian Mitchell. Czaban looks like he wants out or he's on some hard drugs! And why haven't you come into Sticky Rice? You come in tonight, you'll hear "Hail to the Redskins" on the boomin' stereo just for you. And I'll buy anything you want. Just for some quality Redskins banter. Take me up on it!!! You'll have fun and get free food and free beer! How can you lose?

PorterHouse 01-03-2006 07:48 AM

[QUOTE=skinsbabe81]Just because I just joined the Warpath does not mean that I am a "bandwagon fan". I have been a fan for years, and am driving 15 hours to go to the game, Porterhouse are you making the trip? enjoy the game from your couch nuff said![/QUOTE]

first of all if you have taken the time to read my post you would know i havent said anything about new warpath members------>Porterhouse<----------- new warpath member, im talkin about people in general that i have met around here and was askin if anyone else noticed that where they live. second of all skinsbabe i will be at the game in front of my 60" bigscreen yellin and cussin just like i was there. your probly not even a fan your some 300 lb fat chick trying to play right guard for us. good luck ray brown's not lookin to bad right now.

Hogroll 01-03-2006 08:47 AM

How is a fan measured? Kinda of a tough question, I don't think you can come up with a standard for that... how about what "kind" of a fan a person is?

Since the late 60's growing up in Oxen Hill, I have watched the Skins... however, with Dad in the Army, moved around my whole life. Once you get out to the west coast, it was hard to watch the games, with the exception of nationally televised, mind you, they didn't have "NFL ticket" back in the 90's.

Football wasn't that big of a subject growing up, yes, we watched all the games that we could, but there wasn't much discussion beyond that. Now, raising 3 sons of my own, there is football discussion year round, and obviosly these days, that is all that is talked about at the dinner table, 7 nights a week. Are my sons more fans than I am because that can spout out players names... current roster - 2 deep, and rosters of winning teams past? I think not... they learn that from playing Madden on Xbox all the time... LOL, embarrases me at time.

To me, when I walk into work on Monday in the midst of Raven country, and people walk up to me to discuss the game, that tells me... they know I'm a fan. They know I have an earnest interest in the team, on and off season. Now, the guy at work that wears the Raven's 31 jersey all season, then suddenly shows up wearing an Burg and Gold #89 two weeks ago... nope, that won't cut in my book.

3 years ago, when I bought my house. My nextdoor neighbor was my best friend, albeit, a Ravens fan. They were having another emmergent season, and the Skins, well, were trying to buy a team together. Well, George made me an offer... "Come to the other side, join a winning team. Nothing will ever be said again, and I will not hassle you about the foreskins again." Yeah right... drink the kool-aid, I did not! I spoke to George after the Eagles game... He made mention of that 3 year old conversation. "Dude, I have nothing but respect for you. Way to stick with your team".

~nuff said~

5RINGS 01-03-2006 08:59 AM

Picking up 'Fake Fans' means you are on a roll and Bandwagon jumpers are climbing on.

Would love to be able to complain about fake fans joining in for the Cowboys playoff run, but I CAN"T!!

Cause you f**ks swept us!! And Our OLine is CFL quality!!

Hog1 01-03-2006 09:41 AM

[QUOTE=5RINGS]Picking up 'Fake Fans' means you are on a roll and Bandwagon jumpers are climbing on.

Would love to be able to complain about fake fans joining in for the Cowboys playoff run, but I CAN"T!!

Cause you f**ks swept us!! And Our OLine is CFL quality!![/QUOTE]

Interesting slant 5rings. sort of an envious position

mheisig 01-03-2006 10:42 AM

[QUOTE=LongTimeSkinsFan]I agree, I think how long you've been a fan is as good a measure as any or for that matter, how rabidly you want the skins to win would work too![/QUOTE]

Been a fan since I was born - does that count?

While the fairweather fans kind of tick me off too, it seems a bit silly to impose some artificial standard of "fandom" on somebody. You have to have been a fan since birth? Since the 1980s? More than 5 years? Have spent X number of dollars on team merchandise/tickets?

Meh.

I say you're fan if you are genuinely, emotionally invested in the games. I love football, I'll watch any game on TV. But only the Skins truly get my heart into it. I'm crushed when they lose or give up a big play or don't display any heart, and it really blows my weekend. And I'm elated and on cloud nine when they win or score or show some real heart.

I think it's all about whether you actually CARE about the team. I'm impressed by Indianapolis and I love to see them play and win, but when they lose I go on about my life just fine - doesn't effect me.

Not the redskins...I think I sat at home nursing some Jack Daniels after the loss to Tampa Bay. Damned Alstott and the stupid refs...

skinsbabe81 01-03-2006 11:11 AM

good one porterhouse, well you just enjoy the game on that big tv of yours and I'll enjoy it from the fifty yard line, lower level. maybe you'll see me on tv and believe me i am far from 300 lbs

MTK 01-03-2006 11:13 AM

Alright boys and girls let's play nice or someone will need to take a timeout.

Redskins_P 01-03-2006 11:14 AM

[QUOTE=skinsbabe81]good one porterhouse, well you just enjoy the game on that big tv of yours and I'll enjoy it from the fifty yard line, lower level. maybe you'll see me on tv and believe me i am far from 300 lbs[/QUOTE]

skinsbabe, go and represent for us. I don't care what you look like as long as you represent!!!

Right now is not the time to be judging fans. We all need to stick together and back up our team!

gibbs4life 01-03-2006 11:18 AM

[QUOTE=PorterHouse]I gotta a question--am I the only person that notices the emergence of an awful alot of Redskins fans lately? I mean I love the fact that I have more people to talk to about one of my favorite subjects( The Skins) But if you cant tell me the last time we won a super bowl-------YOUR A FAKE REDSKINS FAN[/QUOTE]

well lets see it was in the metrodome in minneapolis minn superbowl xxvi .
we knocked jim kelly silly that day 37-24 was the score rypien was the mvp.
then joe gibbs retired in the late 92 season after losing to the niners at then candlestick park.i could go on but i feel no need since you said last superbowl.

skin fan for life here.

724Skinsfan 01-03-2006 11:21 AM

The easiest way to tell if your a true 'Skins fan is if you experienced erratic heart palpitations these last few weeks. Every time I 'd hear the words playoffs and Redskins being mentioned realistically in the same breath I could feel my heartrate increase. It was such a nervous-like feeling. Honestly, I thought they were going to beat the Eagles going into halftime last Sunday. And that is definitely a different feeling than I've ever had.