Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cap Casualties in offseason (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=10233)

dmek25 01-06-2006 02:25 PM

Re: Cap Casualties in offseason

it doesnt make much sense to me to cut a playmaking linebacker and swallow the cap hit.your basically paying for him not to be on the redskins.is his situation that bad around here.of all the past talk by lavar about being a redskin for life and wanting to retire a skin,now is the time to find out if he puts his money where his mouth is.he wants to stay around,than should be more than willing to restructure.remember,this league is all about playmakers,and there is no denying he makes plays

MTK 01-06-2006 02:31 PM

[QUOTE=Ade Jimoh Fan Club]Is is just me, or is LaVar no longer the "face" of the team? Right now, I'd say it's Clinton Portis and then maybe Sean Taylor.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a huge LaVar fan, but he's become very "high maintenance" with all of his complaining and injuries. He's just no longer Redskins' posterboy.

That said, I hope he comes back with a vengenance during the playoffs and makes the off-season decision a tough one for us![/QUOTE]

The face of this franchise to me is easily Joe Gibbs.

BrudLee 01-06-2006 02:32 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]The face of this franchise to me is easily Joe Gibbs.[/QUOTE]
There's the God's honest truth.

No one is getting marketed like the Coach. Despite the relative greatness of many members of our roster, he's the Hall of Famer. He's the guy who gets rings. If he ran for office in DC, he win in a landslide.

onlydarksets 01-06-2006 02:36 PM

[QUOTE=BrudLee]If he ran for office in DC, he win in a landslide.[/QUOTE]

That's not saying much - DC elected a crackhead for mayor. Twice.

12thMan 01-06-2006 02:48 PM

[QUOTE=dmek25]it doesnt make much sense to me to cut a playmaking linebacker and swallow the cap hit.your basically paying for him not to be on the redskins.is his situation that bad around here.of all the past talk by lavar about being a redskin for life and wanting to retire a skin,now is the time to find out if he puts his money where his mouth is.he wants to stay around,than should be more than willing to restructure.remember,this league is all about playmakers,and there is no denying he makes plays[/QUOTE]

You're right he's a playmaker, but to steal a line from Janet Jackson, "What have you done for me lately"?

Now we all know everything wasn't LaVar's fault as to why hasn't been on the field, but the Redskins have suddenly turned into a very good playmaking team pretty much without LaVar.

dmek25 01-06-2006 02:58 PM

this is true but is he that big of problem that we are willing to swallow the cap hit just to rid ourselves of him?

FRPLG 01-06-2006 03:15 PM

let's not get into the whole Lavar discussion again for 74th time.

MTK 01-06-2006 03:16 PM

[QUOTE=FRPLG]let's not get into the whole Lavar discussion again for 74th time.[/QUOTE]

How about we switch to the Brunell/Ramsey debate for the 763rd time.

;)

Hog1 01-06-2006 03:17 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]#1 Clearing his monster contract off our future cap.

#2 It's pretty well known that LaVar and this staff's relationship has been a bit "strained" at times. Something tells me this staff thinks they can win without him and his huge paycheck and his money would be better spent elsewhere.
/QUOTE]

My point is thus:
While I would not dispute LA has been a pain in the ass with the media. He is certainly not the face of the Redskins. GW has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt the D can thrive without him.
That having been said it would be incompetent on the part of the Redskins to EAT that kind of dead money willingly. It is certainly worth exploring to see how much of a Redskin he really is? See if he would re-structure (although he has already done so before) to make it more favorable to keep him. Basically, check out if he is wanted by GW? TRY not to eat 10mil. If he has to go............so be it!
As much as he has pissed me off this season, when he's on, he's a PLAYMAKER!

hail_2_da_skins 01-06-2006 03:30 PM

Don't give up on LeVar just yet. I still see him flying around making plays. He is not the focal of this defense and he hasn't made the most visable plays like Sean Taylor or Lamar Marshall, but he is staying at home, playing his lanes and getting the job done. It's only a matter of time before he makes the big impact play. Hopefully it will be tommorrow. He can greatly improve his stock value by stepping up in the playoffs.

TheMalcolmConnection 01-06-2006 03:34 PM

Speaking of someone I HAVE given up on. Taylor Jacobs.

Every week someone says he'll have a breakout game. Time is up Taylor.

MTK 01-06-2006 03:35 PM

He's already said he's done restructuring his contract.

We'll see how this plays out.

FRPLG 01-06-2006 03:40 PM

[QUOTE=TheMalcolmConnection]Speaking of someone I HAVE given up on. Taylor Jacobs.

Every week someone says he'll have a breakout game. Time is up Taylor.[/QUOTE]
Don't let the door hit ya where to good lord split ya. Next!

JoeRedskin 01-06-2006 03:42 PM

[QUOTE=onlydarksets]That's not saying much - DC elected a crackhead for mayor. Twice.[/QUOTE]

That's only b/c the bitch set him up.

Hog1 01-06-2006 03:44 PM

Now Boy's, thats pretty harsh! After all, he has so much potential! What a weapon he is..............in practice!