Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/)
-   -   Jets and Chiefs reach agreement for Coach Edwards (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/10234-jets-chiefs-reach-agreement-coach-edwards.html)

BrudLee 01-06-2006 03:21 PM

Jets and Chiefs reach agreement for Coach Edwards

The Chiefs send a 2006 4th rounder for the rights to Herman Edwards.

If I were a Jet fan, I'd have mixed emotions about this. Edwards isn't the best coach in the league, and he clearly had injury problems this year. Four and twelve is 4-12, though.

Mattyk 01-06-2006 03:27 PM

Re: Jets and Chiefs reach agreement for Coach Edwards

They could stand to lose one or both of their coordinators too if they don't move quickly to promote one of them.

I'd be ticked if I was a Jets fan. Herm is a quality coach who was delt a crappy hand this year with injuries. Plus the Jets have had alot of turnover at head coach in recent years, as we know that's never a good thing.

Schneed10 01-06-2006 03:29 PM

I think Edwards is a great coach, actually. This year was all injury-driven, and if you take this year's record out, his remaining record is pretty solid (especially having to deal with the Patriots in the same division).

Big mistake by the Jets. That franchise is lost.

BrudLee 01-06-2006 03:29 PM

Jets fans seem to loathe Edwards, though.

Come to think of it, Jets fans seem to loathe everyone unless they're in the playoffs.

dmek25 01-06-2006 03:34 PM

matty.what would you base your statement that edwards is a quality coach on?i think he is on par with brian billick of the the ravens.i think both are very OVER RATED as coaches.the jets have stuck with pennington way too long,just like boller in baltimore.neither one of these guys are nfl qbacks.the jets have underachieved even with the free pass this year because of all the injuries

Mattyk 01-06-2006 03:41 PM

[QUOTE=dmek25]matty.what would you base your statement that edwards is a quality coach on?i think he is on par with brian billick of the the ravens.i think both are very OVER RATED as coaches.the jets have stuck with pennington way too long,just like boller in baltimore.neither one of these guys are nfl qbacks.the jets have underachieved even with the free pass this year because of all the injuries[/QUOTE]

Well for starters his career record is 37-32, prior to this injury filled disaster it was 33-20. And he guided the Jets to the playoffs in 3 of his 5 years.

I'm not sure how you can blame him for Pennington, prior to his injury he was one of the better QBs in the league. I think the only thing they did wrong with him was rush him back too soon.

jbcjr14 01-06-2006 03:43 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]Well for starters his career record is 37-32, prior to this injury filled disaster it was 33-20. And he guided the Jets to the playoffs in 3 of his 5 years.

I'm not sure how you can blame him for Pennington, prior to his injury he was one of the better QBs in the league. I think the only thing they did wrong with him was rush him back too soon.[/QUOTE]

:lol: Ahhh, I think that is sufficient evidence...playoffs 3 out of 5 years.

12thMan 01-06-2006 03:55 PM

Not to mention there has been some roster turnover.

Coles (gone and back)
Thomas (departed)
Hall (departed)
Moss (departed)
Pennington (oft injured and ineffective)
LaMont Jordan (Raiders)

......and probably a few others.

Southpaw 01-06-2006 03:56 PM

[QUOTE=dmek25]matty.what would you base your statement that edwards is a quality coach on?i think he is on par with brian billick of the the ravens.i think both are very OVER RATED as coaches.the jets have stuck with pennington way too long,just like boller in baltimore.neither one of these guys are nfl qbacks.the jets have underachieved even with the free pass this year because of all the injuries[/QUOTE]

Pennington, when healthy, is better than the majority of the starters in the league. Edwards is a winning coach who sticks up for, and bonds with his players. Please explain how the Jets have underachieved, when they've made the playoffs three out of the last five years.

dmek25 01-06-2006 03:56 PM

we will have to disagree about pennington becuse i dont think he has ever had the arm strngth to be a quality qb in this league.i would be suprised if is able to come back with his injury

FRPLG 01-06-2006 04:01 PM

Not to make a racial connection but Herm reminds me a lot of Dungy before he went to Indy. A good coach who maybe needs a change in scenery to finally take the final steps toward a great coach. He certainly has the organizational and motivational skills to do the job. If he gets the right situation and can surround himself with good assistants then he will really excel. Good move for the Chiefs. Probably a real bad move for the Jets. Who are they going to get? Another unproven coordinator? More years of rebuilding. A proven vet? Who's out there? Mike Sherman, Mike Tice, Norv, Jim Haslett? Can anyone say any of those guys is better than Herm? Jeez bad situation there for the Jets.

FRPLG 01-06-2006 04:02 PM

[QUOTE=Southpaw]Pennington, when healthy, is better than the majority of the starters in the league. Edwards is a winning coach who sticks up for, and bonds with his players. Please explain how the Jets have underachieved, when they've made the playoffs three out of the last five years.[/QUOTE]
The key there is when healthy and he has shown a remarkable ability to not be able to do so. And he is probably now simply damaged goods. He'll never be a quality starter in the league again I would bet.

Southpaw 01-06-2006 04:04 PM

[QUOTE=dmek25]we will have to disagree about pennington becuse i dont think he has ever had the arm strngth to be a quality qb in this league.i would be suprised if is able to come back with his injury[/QUOTE]

Pennington's career stats:

[i]65.3% Completetion Percentage[/i]
[i]55 Touchdowns[/i]
[i]30 Picks[/i]
[i]92.3 QB Rating[/i]

So he doesn't have a cannon arm. Neither does Tom Brady, Brad Johnson, Drew Brees, Eli Manning, Matt Hasselbeck, etc. Since when has arm strength had anything to do with the success of a quarterback in the NFL? Ask Mike Vick and Patrick Ramsey what their cannon arms have gotten them lately.

Southpaw 01-06-2006 04:05 PM

[QUOTE=FRPLG]The key there is when healthy and he has shown a remarkable ability to not be able to do so. And he is probably now simply damaged goods. He'll never be a quality starter in the league again I would bet.[/QUOTE]

I agree that his injuries are probably going to keep him from ever being a viable starter, but comparing him to Kyle Boller is ridiculous.

saden1 01-06-2006 04:07 PM

Umm, didn't Billick win a Superbowl? Can fathom how a coach that won a Superbowl can be considered overrated, especially with the atrocious offense they had during their run.