Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Where was our offense? Will it Re-Appear? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=10276)

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 01-07-2006 07:43 PM

Where was our offense? Will it Re-Appear?

124 total offensive yards? 25 passing yards? What? Where was our offense? Will it re-appear next week?

dblanch66 01-07-2006 07:45 PM

Re: Where was our offense? Will it Re-Appear?

Let's put it this way. It CAN'T get worse.

Skins fan 44 01-07-2006 07:47 PM

It will be back, have faith. If all else fails I would think Ramsey gets his shot again. But gotta to agree it can't get much worse. We sure were lucky.

LBrown43 01-07-2006 07:51 PM

I really think the Bucs defense was up for the challenge and gave us all we could handle. We struggled in every aspect on offense. I trust it will be different next week!!

MTK 01-07-2006 07:51 PM

I'm guessing the Bucs #1 D had something to do with it.

Portis must have been banged up despite the reports that nothing was wrong.

It's no secret our offense is built on the running game, take that away and we're gonna have problems.

Basically the same thing happened to Tampa, we took away their ground game and forced them to throw.

Granted they put up 10 points offensively to our 3, but I really wouldn't say they did a tremendous job either.

itvnetop 01-07-2006 07:53 PM

Our D was enough this day... and for the first playoff W in years I will take it 10 times out of 10!!!

Greg Williams is the man!

LRT 01-07-2006 07:53 PM

Fear not! The Bucs were the number one D. It was this crew's first playoff game together. They were nervous and out of sync. Still they didn't make the fatal mistakes - the Bucs' offense did that. I'm sure Gibbs will pull this offense apart and put it back together by next week. That's what he does. Especially in January.

Daseal 01-07-2006 07:53 PM

Philly our offense played horrible too.

Matty, we forced them to throw and the responded. We didn't. That spells TROUBLE in the post season.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 01-07-2006 07:53 PM

The Bucs' #1 defense definately had something to do with our offensive struggles, but 25 passing yards? That is inexcusable. But, ultimately we won so who cares? I guess I do since I started this thread.

MTK 01-07-2006 07:57 PM

[QUOTE=Daseal]Philly our offense played horrible too.

Matty, we forced them to throw and the responded. We didn't. That spells TROUBLE in the post season.[/QUOTE]

They [i]responded[/i] with 198 yards on 38 attempts and 2 picks from Simms.

Wow, I'm impressed.

I'm not making any excuses for our offense, we stunk period. But let's tip our hats to both defenses, it was a hell of a battle and they were the main reason for the offensive ineptitude.

redrock-skins 01-07-2006 07:59 PM

We will need to score in Seattle. I don't see another 17-10 game here.

Longtimefan 01-07-2006 07:59 PM

We need to get more people involved in the offense. I'm happy we won the game, but our offense was anemic. Not very good for a playoff team, and thanks to TB offense self-destructing in the first half that we were able to pull ouit a win and continue. I hope we can do a better job next week.

Defensewins 01-07-2006 08:09 PM

[QUOTE=redrock-skins]We will need to score in Seattle. I don't see another 17-10 game here.[/QUOTE]

Gibbs called a conservative game because he could....we were up by 14.
PLus do not confuse the Seahawks defense with the Bucaneers #1 defense. We will score on the Seahawks. Our Defense is strong and Brunnell will rebound, no need to worry.
Steve Young is a prick. F his post game comments, he sounded so arrogant. Young needs to be reminded Gibbs has more SB wins then he has. WHo the hell is he to put to laugh and put down Gibbs?

mooby 01-07-2006 08:11 PM

I belive that the bucs were well prepared for us. They have a great defense, they did everything today except make turnovers. That was the difference in this game, our defense did everything today, and they made turnovers that helped us win the game. Seattle doesn't have the kind of defense Tampa Bay has, so we should see a better offense next week.

FRPLG 01-07-2006 08:13 PM

Tehir D is obviouslt great and they game planned very well. Portis was banged up no matter what they say. There's no way he is out for that many plays if he is good to go.
Seattle is good on d too but not nearly Tampa. I think if we can get healthy this week we'll be ok on offense. I hope.

skinsttw 01-07-2006 08:21 PM

Portis and Moss will be ready for the Seahawks. It will be a shootout. 38-35 skins.

VTSkins897 01-07-2006 08:22 PM

yeah the bucs have the number one D. keep in mind that we were up 14-0 into the second qtr. it seems like gibbs was content to sit on it until the bucs proved they could get some pts. i feel that were the roles reversed and WAS was down early then we might have opened up the offense.

AnonEmouse 01-07-2006 08:24 PM

I have thought for a long time that Kiffin is the best D coach I can rememebr and possibly ever. I stand by that. IMHO Williams, Ryan, Rhodes are/were great, but the way Kiffin has maintained consistency with that D is incredible considering his changes of talent. I do feel Williams at this moment in time is a close second.

We struggled against an awesome D, and only came away with one TO (and not even forced at that) and a win. I'll take that.

railcon56 01-07-2006 08:30 PM

brunell plain and simply sucked again..he skipped ball threw across the field his arm looked horrible he looked slow and old worse than last year.......

MTK 01-07-2006 08:32 PM

Aren't we coming off 3 games where we went over 30 in each?

The offense will be fine, we ran into a hornets nest in Tampa, but I don't see Seattle being as tough.

redsk1 01-07-2006 10:29 PM

We'll take it. That was ugly though. We have got to do a better job. Say what you want about Tampa's #1 defense, but we should be able to muster up more than 120 yards for the whole game. I think we'll show up next week though. I'm as happy as anyone but we have to make offensive adjustments and we can't just sit on the ball.

MTK 01-07-2006 10:31 PM

Our offense has had it's share of ups and downs all year.

We've seen some pretty bad games, and we've also seen some really great ones.

I'm not terribly concerned right now, they'll get back on track.

Skins fan 44 01-07-2006 11:04 PM

What I want to know is how come Rock Cartwright is not playing? I would of rather seen him towards the end when CP was not in to pick up the 1st downs.

scowan 01-07-2006 11:16 PM

Let's face it guys, one of the reasons we did not put up any stats is because Gibbs got a 2 TD lead and was content to run the ball as much as possible and NOT pass, unless neccessary. I think he got very conservative and played not to lose and let Chris Simms make a mistake, which he did. I don't like it, but we won. We will need a new formula to win next week on the Seahawks. They will score more than 10 points!

Defensewins 01-07-2006 11:19 PM

[QUOTE=railcon56@comcast.net]brunell plain and simply sucked again..he skipped ball threw across the field his arm looked horrible he looked slow and old worse than last year.......[/QUOTE]

We won the game. That is all that matters. The point of the game is to win, not to pile up a bunch of stats. Stats are for losers.
Brunnell did not play well, but he did not make any huge mistakes. He recovered a very iportant fumble deep in our territory and ran for a key first down. He played well enough so that he did not cost us the game. We played against one of the best defenses in the NFL and that reflected in the entire offenses performance. Portis also did not show well. Cooley was takens out of the game, he also fumbled AGAIN. Cooley has fumbled several times this year, but yet nobody jumps on his case.

Defensewins 01-07-2006 11:21 PM

[QUOTE=scowan]Let's face it guys, one of the reasons we did not put up any stats is because Gibbs got a 2 TD lead and was content to run the ball as much as possible and NOT pass, unless neccessary. I think he got very conservative and played not to lose and let Chris Simms make a mistake, which he did. I don't like it, but we won. We will need a new formula to win next week on the Seahawks. They will score more than 10 points![/QUOTE]
Yeah but Seattle's defense is not the Bucs. Our offense will bounce back against the Seahawks.

Beemnseven 01-07-2006 11:24 PM

Chris Samuels was whipped. Thank your lucky stars Simeon Rice can't suit up for the Seahawks. His play alone totally disrupted Brunell's passing. Jansen had his hands full too.

That was the main reason for the poor passing, I think. Buc D-linemen were in Brunell's face all day long. Factoring that in with stuffing just about every running play we threw at them, you knew it was going to be a long day.

Everything will appear much smoother against Seattle.

70Chip 01-07-2006 11:38 PM

Someone in these pages was calling for the 'fake screen and go' which came wide open in the second quarter. Brunell was high and away with the pass. That will give the Hawks something to work on in practice.

I'm not worried though. I think that the running game will return next week. The bucs have alot of defensive speed and tackled well today. The thing that bugs me about our offense and there seems to be no hope of a change is the lack of an intermediate passing game. It's either boots and screens or go routes and deep posts. Didn't Gary Clarke make a living catching 18 yard passes across the middle for Gibbs in the eighties. They need to find a way to get the ball to someone behind the linebackers and in front of the safeties.

skinsguy 01-08-2006 12:35 AM

[QUOTE=scowan]Let's face it guys, one of the reasons we did not put up any stats is because Gibbs got a 2 TD lead and was content to run the ball as much as possible and NOT pass, unless neccessary. I think he got very conservative and played not to lose and let Chris Simms make a mistake, which he did. I don't like it, but we won. We will need a new formula to win next week on the Seahawks. They will score more than 10 points![/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say that. We tried to stick with the running game because that is what got us here. The problem was that the Buc's D held it into check. But I do agree, we'll score more than 10 points next week on offense. I believe it works in our favor to go up against such a great d. If we can win a playoff game playing this poorly on offense, then with just a little bit of improvement next week, we should have a great shot!

itvnetop 01-08-2006 12:41 AM

[QUOTE=skinsguy]I wouldn't say that. We tried to stick with the running game because that is what got us here. The problem was that the Buc's D held it into check. [/QUOTE]

i agree... the reason why it was smart to run with the lead is because the pass wasn't there for the most part. we were in a position to rely on the D by that point, so that means move the clock. running was tough against the Bucs' D, but it was necessary. because of the third and longs, the Bucs went cover 2 a lot and the pass was gone. their D played out of their minds today- so the game plan called for ball management with the lead.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 01-08-2006 12:41 AM

Two big question marks about our offense going into Seattle will be Mark Brunell's knee and Clinton Portis' shoulders. Without decent knees, Brunell seems to have reverted to his 2004 self (when he played with a bum knee). Without Portis, our running game is far less dynamic and explosive.

skinsguy 01-08-2006 12:43 AM

We'll be okay! I doubt we see another offensive performace like we saw this evening. Seattle's defense isn't as scary as Tampa Bay's....what scares me about them is Stephen Alexander.

offiss 01-08-2006 12:51 AM

[QUOTE=skinsguy]We'll be okay! I doubt we see another offensive performace like we saw this evening. Seattle's defense isn't as scary as Tampa Bay's....what scares me about them is Stephen Alexander.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, Although I felt this Tampa game would be the toughest we face, Gruden is the one coach who is capable of matching wit's with G. Williams. That game was our toughest matchup wise.

I figured they would do to us what the Eagles tried to do last week, Tampa took away Brunells security blanket in Moss and Cooley, and said find another was to beat us, which Brunell could not.

I heard an interview on the radio during the week [I forget who] but they said Brunells lack of arm strength downfield will allow Tampa to play up and jump our pass routes, and that is why Brunell couldn't find anyone open, at least that's a theory of what teams are now trying to do against us, or at least Tampa's game plan.

Bushead 01-08-2006 09:52 AM

I think Gibbs sat on the Lead and didn't want to risk anything. It will be better next week.

skins_fan 01-08-2006 11:15 AM

Our offense was not here today, but we got the win, and that is all that matters. And if we are going to stick with Seattle our defense needs to step up and our defense is to keep up on what they are doing. I believe in the redskins and I think that they will beat the Seahawks, and they will.

RunRunPass 01-08-2006 11:18 AM

Everyone has an off day and it just came to our offense at a bad time. Thankfuly the D was there. I feel bout 35 on Seahawks.

MTK 01-08-2006 12:13 PM

Granted it was a piss poor effort offensively, but this is still the same unit that ranked 11th overall and had a WR over 1400 yards and a RB over 1500.

The media would want you to think we're the second coming of the '00 Ravens or something. I'm sure all week we're gonna hear if the Redskins put up 120 yards against Seattle we're gonna lose... well no shit thanks for that great insight!!

We had a 14 point lead and the defense was playing off the hook. Gibbs choose to play it close to the vest and in the end it worked. Hopefully Portis will be ready to carry a full load next week because the running game is definitely lacking something with him not in there.

Hog1 01-08-2006 12:46 PM

CAUTION TO READER: emotional outburst to follow

I must admit that I knew there would be many who of you questioning the O after this win. Do you think ANYTHING is lost on Joe or GW? The only thing they did yesterday was figure out how to beat the #1 D in the league. The Offense, obviously is not a complete unit as of yet! We all know it's weakness's. So do they.
I read a post who implied somehow, Brunell is at fault for lack of production. Did I say they have the number one D? In the next sentence, the post stated Tampa took away Cooley, and Moss. So...........how the hell is that Brunell's fault? Dude gets it done!!!!!!!!!!! As does this team!!!!!! All they have done is take us from perennial armpit to second round of the playoffs in their second season. How many of you on this site CANNOT remember when that happened, ever? This is how it is under Joe, he figures out ways to win. That is what makes him a HOF coach. Improvise, adapt, and overcome! That is what they do. If some of you CANNOT figure it out, thank God, Joe and GW can! TO recap, it's about winning and finding creative ways to do so. I you don't agree with that, ask John Gruden what he thinks? Do you think he would gladly trade performances yesterday?

skinsguy 01-08-2006 04:40 PM

[QUOTE=offiss]Agreed, Although I felt this Tampa game would be the toughest we face, Gruden is the one coach who is capable of matching wit's with G. Williams. That game was our toughest matchup wise.

I figured they would do to us what the Eagles tried to do last week, Tampa took away Brunells security blanket in Moss and Cooley, and said find another was to beat us, which Brunell could not.

I heard an interview on the radio during the week [I forget who] but they said Brunells lack of arm strength downfield will allow Tampa to play up and jump our pass routes, and that is why Brunell couldn't find anyone open, at least that's a theory of what teams are now trying to do against us, or at least Tampa's game plan.[/QUOTE]

TB also got pretty good pressure on Brunell....there certainly wasn't alot of time to throw. The biggest thing was that our running game was held in check...which is what makes this offense successful and what opens it up eventually. I'm sure this offense will play better next week.

skinsguy 01-08-2006 04:42 PM

[QUOTE=Bushead]I think Gibbs sat on the Lead and didn't want to risk anything. It will be better next week.[/QUOTE]

I just don't think so. If you look back, we had a hard time running the football which led to us having 3 and long quite often. Brunell was pressured quite a bit all day. It was just a great defensive day by the bucs.