Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Thrash injured (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=10319)

dgack 01-08-2006 09:08 PM

Re: Thrash injured

[QUOTE=Bushead]He is a very shifty WR who has picked up some important first downs on a few occasions. Can we say that for Taylor Jacobs or anyone else who plays more than thrash?[/QUOTE]

You're saying Thrash is shifty? LMFAO!

As for the idea he's a great possession receiver, he's contributed a whopping TEN first down catches this year.

By comparison, Cooley has caught 44 first down balls this year. Even Sellers, who is rarely used outside the redzone, has 9. Robert Royal has EIGHT for crying out loud!

The thing about guys like Jacobs and Farris is, they haven't really had the chance to play long enough to really do anything. They're B-grade receivers AT BEST, but Thrash is a C+ on a good day. Guys like Jacobs and Farris are probably gone next season anyway, so they've got all the motivation in the world to go out there and have a Timmy Smith type of game.

JWsleep 01-08-2006 09:14 PM

Gibbs and co get to wathc these guys practice and play all year long. If Taylor Jacobs can't beat out Thrash, that does not speak well of his play.

Thrash is a gamer--a vet 3rd WR who doesn't make mistakes, and who plays well on specials. No one is claiming he's all-pro. Why the hate? None of our WRs other than Santana have done ANYTHING this year.

SmootSmack 01-08-2006 09:19 PM

While I think that Brunell needs to carry the blame for his INT yesterday, something tells me that had it been Thrash instead of Jacobs, JT might have made a stronger effort to keep the ball from being intercepted.

dgack 01-08-2006 09:28 PM

[QUOTE=JWsleep]Gibbs and co get to wathc these guys practice and play all year long. If Taylor Jacobs can't beat out Thrash, that does not speak well of his play.

Thrash is a gamer--a vet 3rd WR who doesn't make mistakes, and who plays well on specials. No one is claiming he's all-pro. Why the hate? None of our WRs other than Santana have done ANYTHING this year.[/QUOTE]

Two things:

1) Gibbs was initially very down on Betts when he took over. It took a LONG TIME for him to realize Ladell was capable of being reliable.

2) With WR's it's all about the timing and working out with the QB. I don't go to practices, but I just have a hard time believing that Jacobs gets a lot of reps with the first team offense.

3) That INT last game was a really, really good play by the DB, and if he doesn't make that play, I'd say Jacobs makes a great catch and people start thinking, "hey, that kid might have something!"

Jacobs has not made the most out of his extremely limited opportunities, no doubt. But we haven't had anybody lined up across from Santana all year, and Thrash doesn't scare anybody. All I'm saying is, this could be the end of the line for us. Every game is for all the marbles. Give the kid a chance.

He certainly has not achieved anything remotely close to his draft location, that's for sure. But talentwise, he's absolutely got the potential to be better than a guy like Thrash, by a humongous margin.

He runs a 4.4 40 and went for 1100 and 8 in college during his senior year for crying out loud.

dgack 01-08-2006 09:29 PM

[QUOTE=TAFKAS]While I think that Brunell needs to carry the blame for his INT yesterday, something tells me that had it been Thrash instead of Jacobs, JT might have made a stronger effort to keep the ball from being intercepted.[/QUOTE]

Well, he wouldn't have intercepted it, that's true. The ball would have deflected off Thrash's forcefield of uncatchability and sailed out of bounds.

hooskins 01-08-2006 09:30 PM

[QUOTE=dgack]You're saying Thrash is shifty? LMFAO!

As for the idea he's a great possession receiver, he's contributed a whopping TEN first down catches this year.

By comparison, Cooley has caught 44 first down balls this year. Even Sellers, who is rarely used outside the redzone, has 9. Robert Royal has EIGHT for crying out loud!

The thing about guys like Jacobs and Farris is, they haven't really had the chance to play long enough to really do anything. They're B-grade receivers AT BEST, but Thrash is a C+ on a good day. Guys like Jacobs and Farris are probably gone next season anyway, so they've got all the motivation in the world to go out there and have a Timmy Smith type of game.[/QUOTE]

WHAT?!?!...You are rating Jacobs and Farris over Trash??? You can not say anything about Farris, just like you said, he hasnt played, enough so how can you judge him to be a B-?? By the way if did not see the Philly game, Trash had a HUGE catch, to keep a drive going, and agaisnt Seattle those catches were late in the game on third downs. Trash does all the dirty work no one sees, and then people hate on him. He is all every play in special teams, this and last year, he put many teams inside the 10 on punt coverage. Jacobs even though he has been injuried alot, has had many chances during this season. He is no where near Trash on anyday. If have been watching Skins games, Trash's effort on all plays, has really helped us win several games, the last two seasons. And what do you mean he is JUST a special teams player. If you have not noticed, special teams wins many games in the NFL. I am not saying Trash is better than Cooley, Sellers or Royal, I am just saying he is much, much better than you think.

SmootSmack 01-08-2006 09:36 PM

[QUOTE=dgack]Two things:

1) Gibbs was initially very down on Betts when he took over. It took a LONG TIME for him to realize Ladell was capable of being reliable.

2) With WR's it's all about the timing and working out with the QB. I don't go to practices, but I just have a hard time believing that Jacobs gets a lot of reps with the first team offense.

3) That INT last game was a really, really good play by the DB, and if he doesn't make that play, I'd say Jacobs makes a great catch and people start thinking, "hey, that kid might have something!"

Jacobs has not made the most out of his extremely limited opportunities, no doubt. But we haven't had anybody lined up across from Santana all year, and Thrash doesn't scare anybody. All I'm saying is, this could be the end of the line for us. Every game is for all the marbles. Give the kid a chance.

He certainly has not achieved anything remotely close to his draft location, that's for sure. But talentwise, he's absolutely got the potential to be better than a guy like Thrash, by a humongous margin.

He runs a 4.4 40 and went for 1100 and 8 in college during his senior year for crying out loud.[/QUOTE]

Like you say every game is for all the marbles, so with that in mind is now really the time to be giving Jacobs yet another chance? He has to be out there because we have no choice. And he does have the talent and potential to be better than Thrash, but I think right now I'd rather depend on Thrash than Jacobs. And right now, we need someone we can depend on. Really wish David Patten was healthy right now.

dgack 01-08-2006 09:39 PM

I'm saying, Trash is exactly what we need as a return guy. Surehanded and doesn't cough it up.

I never see him throwing blocks, but maybe he's good at blocking, I don't know.

But what I do know is the guy is absolutely NO threat to anybody on the receiving end of things. Stats don't lie, and one or two games where he caught one pass for a drive-saving first down doesn't mean he's any good.

As for Jacobs, I dont have any agenda there other than I happen to know his collegiate numbers were decent and I have a hard time believing the guy is as bad as he appears to be. I just don't think he's getting enough PT to find out.

dgack 01-08-2006 09:45 PM

[QUOTE=TAFKAS]but I think right now I'd rather depend on Thrash than Jacobs. And right now, we need someone we can depend on. [/QUOTE]

I guess for me it comes down to, do you really think Trash is dependable? As a return man, I'd absolutely rely on him over Antonio Brown (why on Earth did we give HIM a second chance). But Thrash couldn't beat out Todd Pinkston when they were both in Philly for Pete's sake.

The ONLY thing the guy brings to the table is the fact that he's hung around a long time and is therefore a "veteran". But he's never won a ring, to my knowledge isn't providing leadership in the locker-room or on the field.

Given that, I just don't see what he brings to the table as a receiver that's better than the other guys who havent had much of a chance to show what they've got.

Thrash has had nine years. None of them particularly great, either.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 01-08-2006 11:17 PM

I don't care for the Thrash-trashing bit. He's a team player who excels on special teams and is a good man to have on the team. He works hard and while he doesn't make a lot of catches, a player's value doesn't always translate into stats.

dgack 01-08-2006 11:25 PM

[QUOTE=Ramseyfan]I don't care for the Thrash-trashing bit. He's a team player who excels on special teams and is a good man to have on the team. He works hard and while he doesn't make a lot of catches, a player's value doesn't always translate into stats.[/QUOTE]

*shrug*.

I don't consider it trashing. I can't think of a single James Thrash moment where he saved the day, so I went to his stats, and not surprisingly they seem to back up my claim that he's fairly mediocre.

I don't really care one way or the other; don't confuse my argument to let the youngsters play with the kind of acrid, bitter hating that the Taylor-haters, Brunell-haters and Lavar haters are spittin'... I just think Thrash is "meh".

I'm really quite surprised so many people here like the guy, though. Although I suppose I shouldn't be so shocked; some of you despise Taylor for his "character" despite the fact that he's won games by himself. I guess Thrash is a real stand-up guy, and that's the reason he's liked.

hooskins 01-08-2006 11:34 PM

[QUOTE=dgack]*shrug*.

I don't consider it trashing. I can't think of a single James Thrash moment where he saved the day, so I went to his stats, and not surprisingly they seem to back up my claim that he's fairly mediocre.

I don't really care one way or the other; don't confuse my argument to let the youngsters play with the kind of acrid, bitter hating that the Taylor-haters, Brunell-haters and Lavar haters are spittin'... I just think Thrash is "meh".

I'm really quite surprised so many people here like the guy, though. Although I suppose I shouldn't be so shocked; some of you despise Taylor for his "character" despite the fact that he's won games by himself. I guess Thrash is a real stand-up guy, and that's the reason he's liked.[/QUOTE]
Of course Thrash is a standup guy, but thats not why we like him. Ramseyfan is right, he does alot of special teams stuff, that goes unnoticed all the time, all this does not get recorded in the stat book. And I think people are upset about ST's character bc he is such a great player and because he has won games for us, if it was some other person on the team we probably would not care as much. It is more of a disappointment, because we all know how amazing he is.

NM Redskin 01-08-2006 11:40 PM

You guys are crazy. Thrash is probably our best special teamer next to Sellars.The reason Protis can get long runs is great downfeild blocking by Thrash and Colley. Thrash well be missed.

dgack 01-08-2006 11:46 PM

For the ninetieth time, I'm not taking issue with his special teams play, just his lack of contribution at WR.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 01-08-2006 11:51 PM

[QUOTE=dgack]For the ninetieth time, I'm not taking issue with his special teams play, just his lack of contribution at WR.[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone can disagree with your point about his disappointing play at the wide receiver position. I definately thought he would be able to step in and fill in for Patten. I was simply defending him because of his special teams play and character. So, no differences here.