Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How Pathetic is Coughlin? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=10409)

hurrykaine 01-10-2006 05:48 PM

How Pathetic is Coughlin?

As his CFL caliber team (at least on that day) was being pummelled by the Panthers, Tom Coughlin was reduced to motioning to the crowd to raise the noise level to serve as a distraction during the Panthers offensive series. Anyone else notice this?

Rather low for a pro-football head coach...anyone agree? I'm sure its done in basketball arenas, and more at a collegiate level. Its one thing to acknowledge and thank the fans for their raucous support as Gibbs frequently does, but to blatantly ask for it in the middle of a game shows coaching ineptitude.

djnemo65 01-10-2006 06:08 PM

Re: How Pathetic is Coughlin?

I thought it was fine. There seems to have been a weird reaction against home field advantage this year, with Solomon calling Skins fans bush league for getting too loud, Roethlesberger challenging the validity of the noise level in the RCA dome, the Jets banning alchohol to promote a more civil home crowd, just to name a few that come to mind. We all read that article and subsequent posts about phonies at Fed Ex asking real fans to quite down.

I say whatever you can do to help your team do, provided its not illegal like throwing bottles, you do. Is Coughlin pathetic? Sure, but not because he tried to instill life in a dying crowd, imho.

Gmanc711 01-10-2006 06:14 PM

[QUOTE=djnemo65]I thought it was fine. There seems to have been a weird reaction against home field advantage this year, with Solomon calling Skins fans bush league for getting too loud, Roethlesberger challenging the validity of the noise level in the RCA dome, the Jets banning alchohol to promote a more civil home crowd, just to name a few that come to mind. We all read that article and subsequent posts about phonies at Fed Ex asking real fans to quite down.

I say whatever you can do to help your team do, provided its not illegal like throwing bottles, you do. Is Coughlin pathetic? Sure, but not because he tried to instill life in a dying crowd, imho.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree...homefeild advantage is homefeild advantage. That alchohol one I dont have a problem with. If someone is stabbed in the bathroom the week before, I understand them taking that measure. Which, I'm sure they lost a lot of money on.

skindogger47 01-10-2006 06:24 PM

Kind of bush league if you ask me. Joe would never do that, he'd be worried about the gameplan and the players' attitudes, not the fans.

dmek25 01-10-2006 07:09 PM

that had to be a last resort by the giants coach.i agree with skindogger that coach gibbs would definitely have more important things to worry about

Dirtbag 01-10-2006 08:10 PM

Even lamer was Coughlin's press conference y'day, when he chastised Tiki Barber for saying that the Giants lost because they were "outcoached" by Carolina. He rambled on about how his team should never point fingers, they were all one team, etc. etc., and then he said they lost because the players blew some scoring opportunities. What a hypocrite!

It's great to see that team crash and burn...

70Chip 01-10-2006 08:31 PM

Coughlin is in for a tough ride if he's already got Tiki mounting an insurrection. I think it's pretty low of Barber to blame the coach when anyone who watched the game could see that Manning was overwhelmed by the magnitude of the situation. He looked like your average second year quarterback against a good defense going at playoff speed. Of course, that's how he looked the whole second half of the season.

djnemo65 01-10-2006 11:40 PM

[QUOTE=70Chip]Coughlin is in for a tough ride if he's already got Tiki mounting an insurrection. I think it's pretty low of Barber to blame the coach when anyone who watched the game could see that Manning was overwhelmed by the magnitude of the situation. He looked like your average second year quarterback against a good defense going at playoff speed. Of course, that's how he looked the whole second half of the season.[/QUOTE]

I read in the paper today that they supposedly watched the game tape together and worked everything out.

hooskins 01-11-2006 12:00 AM

I personally do not think its that big of a deal. He was just trying to get the crowd into their most important game, it just looked odd coming from a coach.

BigSKINBauer 01-11-2006 12:09 AM

His team blaming him is pathetic. They nearly hate him. They never have liked him and have kept it inside just because they were winning.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 01-11-2006 12:33 AM

Gibbs is constantly encouraging the fans to be loud (albeit during press conferences). I have no problem with Coughlin's attempt to get Giants fans loud. If Bugel was doing what Coughlin did, and I could see him doing it, I'd cheer louder.

ST21 01-11-2006 03:02 AM

[QUOTE=skindogger47]Kind of bush league if you ask me. Joe would never do that, he'd be worried about the gameplan and the players' attitudes, not the fans.[/QUOTE]

and cause Joe wouldn't do it, its bush league.....what is the Standard here.

hurrykaine 01-11-2006 01:10 PM

[QUOTE=BigSKINBauer]His team blaming him is pathetic. They nearly hate him. They never have liked him and have kept it inside just because they were winning.[/QUOTE]

Interesting take. I thought, after Strahan dumped the Gatorade on Coughlin after the victory over the Raiders, that perhaps the player coach relationship was blooming for the Giants. However, you could very well be right about the uneasy calm in NY.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Tim Lewis leaves for a head coaching job. Could prove to be a long cold season for their defense in that case, causing even more coach hating and finger pointing.