Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sean Taylor Spitting Video (merged) (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=10425)

TheMalcolmConnection 01-11-2006 08:16 AM

Sean Taylor Spitting Video

Unfortunately, here's the proof...

[url]http://media.putfile.com/Taylor-edit29[/url]

MTK 01-11-2006 08:19 AM

Re: Sean Taylor Spitting Video

Hard to believe, isn't it?? Who woulda thunk it? Taylor, spitting? Get outta here.

;)

jbcjr14 01-11-2006 08:24 AM

WOW...That is horrible and very immature. Great player, but still has some MAJOR growing up to do.

EternalEnigma21 01-11-2006 08:26 AM

Dude, why cant you just look at boobs on the internet like everybody else.....

j/k

Hogroll 01-11-2006 08:28 AM

Bummer...

Still think he is a helluva player though.

MTK 01-11-2006 08:33 AM

[img]http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6083/taylorspit5ut.gif[/img]

TheMalcolmConnection 01-11-2006 08:34 AM

[QUOTE=canthetuna]Dude, why cant you just look at boobs on the internet like everybody else.....

j/k[/QUOTE]

If you've never seen the pics of my fiance, she has plenty of boob for my day-to-day activities. LOL

But yes, I'm just pissed that Taylor lied to Williams about this. I really didn't doubt that he did it. I just figured that there were only THREE people who knew the truth. I STILL think it's shitty that Pittman didn't get a penalty. I mean it wasn't self defense, it was a freakin' slap and rules are rules.

EternalEnigma21 01-11-2006 08:36 AM

the bad part is it looks like it hits pittmans mouthpiece more than anything.

Luxorreb 01-11-2006 08:42 AM

Great vid.
Wish he didn't. Unfortunately he didn't heave much spit on anyone but himself and the ground. Sean Taylor is mean and a great player. He got ejected and a 17 thousand dollar fine. He's lucky, but he's young. Thank goodness he'll be on the field Saturday. He belongs in the PROBOWL!!! GO #21 and GO REDSKINS!!!

TheMalcolmConnection 01-11-2006 08:43 AM

I'm surprised he can get that kind of distance without cocking his head back...

Luxorreb 01-11-2006 08:44 AM

OH and by the way, he ain't no Marcus Vick.
He's a true baller.
Vick jr is the ultimate 'pretender'!
Sorry Tech fans, but Marcus is no Michael and well Michael isn't in the playoffs...

FRPLG 01-11-2006 08:53 AM

I love the other ref saying "are you sure Mike?" when Carey said he wouldn't throw a penalty on Pittman. Seemed to me like he thought there ought to be a penalty on both guys. As I have said before there SHOULD have been a penalty on both. retaliation is not allowed whether the ref thinks it was justified or not. If the league rule is to eject someone for spitting that is a bs rule. If it was Mike Carey deciding it was ejection worthy then he has some serious thinking to do about the game he officiates. Saying it is ok to throw a punch right in front of a ref but it is not ok to spit is a real slippery slope.

Now the question is how the hell doesn't the spit show up on the other angle. That is crazy because it is 100% clear in theat angle. Sorta weird. I was convinced he hadn't spit.

TheMalcolmConnection 01-11-2006 08:59 AM

Yeah. I think it's weird too. Like that is a HUGE wad of spit.

MTK 01-11-2006 09:00 AM

I think from the original angle you can't see the spit because it falls to the ground pretty quickly right in front of ST, so his body blocked out the view of the spit.

I don't understand why people are so hung up on Pittman not getting a penalty. Even if Pittman got a penalty, ST was still kicked out and that was the part of this whole thing that really could have hurt us.

TheMalcolmConnection 01-11-2006 09:18 AM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]I think from the original angle you can't see the spit because it falls to the ground pretty quickly right in front of ST, so his body blocked out the view of the spit.

I don't understand why people are so hung up on Pittman not getting a penalty. Even if Pittman got a penalty, ST was still kicked out and that was the part of this whole thing that really could have hurt us.[/QUOTE]

Because it's the only thing left we can get hung up on. :(

TheMalcolmConnection 01-11-2006 09:18 AM

I'm sure the coaches had a LOOOONG talk with him. I hope he keeps his mouth shut and let his play do the talking on Saturday.

FRPLG 01-11-2006 09:22 AM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]I think from the original angle you can't see the spit because it falls to the ground pretty quickly right in front of ST, so his body blocked out the view of the spit.

I don't understand why people are so hung up on Pittman not getting a penalty. Even if Pittman got a penalty, ST was still kicked out and that was the part of this whole thing that really could have hurt us.[/QUOTE]
Well I don't think one ought to be kicked out of a game for it. I just personally don't think it is that bad. Because of that it pisses me off that a guy like Sean Taylor gets punished but the other equally wrong player doesn't. I don't think Pittman should get kicked out for his role but I do think it is incumbent upon the refs to call games fairly and obey the rules. The video proving he spit did two things. It proved to me he spit and it proved to me that Mike Carey made an arbitrary decision that one thing was worse than the other. So much worse in fact that apparently breaking the rules directly in front on a ref was ok. What that does is it allows everyone to globaly castiagte Taylor and it lets Pittman off scott free both in the game and ultimately the media. That changes perceptions of the incident and perceptions of Taylor that affect how he is treated during games. Now he gets watched more closely and all of a sudden maybe that perfectly timed hit gets a penalty or something like that. It puts Taylor unfairly in the cross hairs for something that was really basically harmless. If both guys get penalties the situation gets dissolved more benignly and none of us are having this discussion I think. Offsetting penalties get talked about for three seconds on the broadcast and they move on. I am sure we can all agree that the penalty was called for but the ejection seemed awful quick and uncalled for. It makes one wonder why Taylor was held to a higher standard?

onlydarksets 01-11-2006 09:23 AM

[QUOTE=TheMalcolmConnection]I'm surprised he can get that kind of distance without cocking his head back...[/QUOTE]

Well, he is a beast...

FRPLG 01-11-2006 09:29 AM

And to add quickly. Lets say the coaches do have a long talk with him. And they tell him to tighten up and not get in situations that could result in the same punishments. We all know that guys like Taylor (and half the rest of the league) aren't going to simply stop trash talking and stuff like that so it is unreasonable to expect Taylor to simply put his head down and do nothing from now on. So with that in mind they try to help him understand what is acceptable and what isn't. Not calling the penalty on Pittman says "You can punch a guy if he provoked you enough". Do we really want Taylor or anyone else out there trying to figure what he can do and what he can't. It should be black and white. Spitting = penalty and ejection apparently. Punching = penalty maybe if the ref feels like it. One is balck and white while the other clearly isn't. Now we got guys trying to decide when it is ok to retaliate and when it isn't. This is more of a fundamental tenant that retalation should not be allowed for any reason and not just in this situation.
I just don't like our guy getting stomped on by everyone like he tried to murder the guy and I think the main reason it is happeneing is that the NFL has done nothing to diffuse this illusion that Taylor did the "worse that could ever be done". Hell they didn't even enforce their own rules. That's crappy.

MTK 01-11-2006 09:30 AM

Personally I thought an ejection for spitting at another player was appropriate.

Schneed10 01-11-2006 09:35 AM

[QUOTE=FRPLG]Well I don't think one ought to be kicked out of a game for it. I just personally don't think it is that bad. Because of that it pisses me off that a guy like Sean Taylor gets punished but the other equally wrong player doesn't. I don't think Pittman should get kicked out for his role but I do think it is incumbent upon the refs to call games fairly and obey the rules. The video proving he spit did two things. It proved to me he spit and it proved to me that Mike Carey made an arbitrary decision that one thing was worse than the other. So much worse in fact that apparently breaking the rules directly in front on a ref was ok. What that does is it allows everyone to globaly castiagte Taylor and it lets Pittman off scott free both in the game and ultimately the media. That changes perceptions of the incident and perceptions of Taylor that affect how he is treated during games. Now he gets watched more closely and all of a sudden maybe that perfectly timed hit gets a penalty or something like that. It puts Taylor unfairly in the cross hairs for something that was really basically harmless. If both guys get penalties the situation gets dissolved more benignly and none of us are having this discussion I think. Offsetting penalties get talked about for three seconds on the broadcast and they move on. I am sure we can all agree that the penalty was called for but the ejection seemed awful quick and uncalled for. It makes one wonder why Taylor was held to a higher standard?[/QUOTE]

I agree with FRPLG. Nobody on this site has been able to rationalize why spitting should be considered worse than throwing a punch. The reason for that is it can't be rationalized. One act is gross. The other act hurts.

Carey acted rashly in deciding to eject Taylor and not punish Pittman whatsoever. Carey saw the spit, was appalled, and reacted immediately by throwing the flag and ejecting Taylor on the spot. He did not discuss things with his crew, he did not take any time to think about how to punish both parties fairly, he just acted as soon as he saw the spit. The punishment didn't fit the crime because Carey's reaction was partially driven by his disgust.

celts32 01-11-2006 09:36 AM

NFL Network had some good footage of this incident and the rest of the game last night on "Sounds of the Game". They had the audio of the officials talking to one another and the skins players afterwards. One of the other officials asked him after he ejected Taylor if he was going to penalize Pittman for hitting ST. He said no and basically said what would you do if you got spit on.

offiss 01-11-2006 09:39 AM

The problem was we had just forced them to punt, our defense was on the field all day that could have been a back breaker, offsetting penalties there still gives us the ball and the D a much needed rest.

The ref was wrong in not enforcing that penalty, in fact if you take a swing at another players head I thought that was an automatic ejection as well?

The problem with the referee's reasoning is this, if someone hit's one of our players out of bounds does that then give the player in question the right to turn around and bury his cleet in the guy's face? No! Why? Because it's another penalty against us, how many times do you see another player retaliate only to negate a penalty in his teams favor? Taylor deserved what he got, Pittman should have been penalized as well, that is why the penalty is so stiff, to keep players from doing things of that nature especially when it's a meaningless time in the game and a 15 yd penalty doesn't matter, an ejection, suspension, and or fine, help's to keep player's in line.

Schneed10 01-11-2006 09:39 AM

[QUOTE=celts32]NFL Network had some good footage of this incident and the rest of the game last night on "Sounds of the Game". They had the audio of the officials talking to one another and the skins players afterwards. One of the other officials asked him after he ejected Taylor if he was going to penalize Pittman for hitting ST. He said no and basically said what would you do if you got spit on.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly my point. Carey essentially felt the act was so disgusting that Taylor deserved to be smacked. That's BS, refs should not have power to interpret the rulebook based on their emotions. Carey experienced the emotion of disgust and levied a ruling partially based on that emotion; that's not rational judgment.

It probably explains why the NFL didn't hit ST with much of a fine.

cpayne5 01-11-2006 09:42 AM

If the spit don't hit...you must acquit!!!

offiss 01-11-2006 09:43 AM

[QUOTE=Schneed10]This is exactly my point. Carey essentially felt the act was so disgusting that Taylor deserved to be smacked. That's BS, refs should not have power to interpret the rulebook based on their emotions. Carey experienced the emotion of disgust and levied a ruling partially based on that emotion; that's not rational judgment.

It probably explains why the NFL didn't hit ST with much of a fine.[/QUOTE]

Much of a fine? I believe Romanowski who hacked a series luggar on Ty Streets only recieved I believe a 5000.00 fine.

MTK 01-11-2006 09:43 AM

[QUOTE=Schneed10]I agree with FRPLG. Nobody on this site has been able to rationalize why spitting should be considered worse than throwing a punch. The reason for that is it can't be rationalized. One act is gross. The other act hurts.

Carey acted rashly in deciding to eject Taylor and not punish Pittman whatsoever. Carey saw the spit, was appalled, and reacted immediately by throwing the flag and ejecting Taylor on the spot. He did not discuss things with his crew, he did not take any time to think about how to punish both parties fairly, he just acted as soon as he saw the spit. The punishment didn't fit the crime because Carey's reaction was partially driven by his disgust.[/QUOTE]

In my book, spitting is worse than throwing a punch because it's such a total lack of class and sportsmanship.

In the heat of the battle, punches will fly on occassion and to me that's much more understandable than someone resorting to the punk-ass action of spitting at someone.

I can still respect someone who gets heated and throws a punch. But someone who spits I just lose all respect for.

Now don't get me wrong, I still think ST is a heck of a player and I'd rather have him on our side, but in the end he's a punk with alot of growing up to do. He could have cost his team the game, and that's a very selfish and immature thing to do.

TheMalcolmConnection 01-11-2006 09:43 AM

And what's worse is that Carey VERY subjectively said, "What would you do?"

Schneed10 01-11-2006 09:45 AM

[QUOTE=offiss]Much of a fine? I believe Romanowski who hacked a series luggar on Ty Streets only recieved I believe a 5000.00 fine.[/QUOTE]

Fines have escalated these days, that Romanowski fine happened a few years ago. The landscape has changed since then and those past years don't make for very good comparisons to today. Portis got hit with $20,000 for wearing goofy socks this year. I think that puts the Taylor fine in perspective a bit better.

FRPLG 01-11-2006 09:45 AM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]Personally I thought an ejection for spitting at another player was appropriate.[/QUOTE]
And that's cool. I think we should all be able to respect basic fundamental opinions like this. I can totally see why some think it should be ejectable but I happen to disagree. No biggie.

MTK 01-11-2006 09:47 AM

Just for the record Romo was fined $7500 for spitting at JJ Stokes in '97.

Schneed10 01-11-2006 09:50 AM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]In my book, spitting is worse than throwing a punch because it's such a total lack of class and sportsmanship.

In the heat of the battle, punches will fly on occassion and to me that's much more understandable than someone resorting to the punk-ass action of spitting at someone.

I can still respect someone who gets heated and throws a punch. But someone who spits I just lose all respect for.

Now don't get me wrong, I still think ST is a heck of a player and I'd rather have him on our side, but in the end he's a punk with alot of growing up to do. He could have cost his team the game, and that's a very selfish and immature thing to do.[/QUOTE]

Unbelievable. Guess what Matty, your personal beliefs regarding spitting vs punching are very inconsistent with UNITED STATES LAW. You punch someone, that's Assault & Battery. You spit on someone, that's Assault.

Get off your high horse, man. It's ridiculous. Your respect for somebody should have NOTHING to do with how punishments are levied. Nor should Mike Carey's respect. Punishments should not be decided by the amount of respect lost by the self-righteous.

hurrykaine 01-11-2006 09:51 AM

It amazes me sometimes about how we can be homers to the core. If Roy Williams had done this to Ladell Betts, we would be calling for a huge fine and a 2 game suspension.

There is simply no defending ST on this. He was lucky that there has been no precedent of a spitting related suspension.

That said, spitting is more common in international club soccer and rugby and wouldn't be considered as egregious as kicking someone in the family jewels. Funny how in football its the complete opposite - the game is centered around hitting and tackling, but if god forbid, someone spits, its against the spirit of the game, and a vile disgusting act.

gibbs4life 01-11-2006 09:54 AM

great video there.it only proves that he did indeed spit but i,m like you pittman shoul have been penalized for the slap but it is what it is.

just glad he will play on saturday.

firstdown 01-11-2006 09:56 AM

I think that the ref's are out to get us and they have been doctoring up this film for the past couple of days. The video is called Taylor Edit 29 which it took 29 time to edit the spit just so it looked like he was spitting.

MTK 01-11-2006 09:56 AM

[QUOTE=Schneed10]Unbelievable. Guess what Matty, your personal beliefs regarding spitting vs punching are very inconsistent with UNITED STATES LAW. You punch someone, that's Assault & Battery. You spit on someone, that's Assault.

Get off your high horse, man. It's ridiculous. Your respect for somebody should have NOTHING to do with how punishments are levied. Nor should Mike Carey's respect. Punishments should not be decided by the amount of respect lost by the self-righteous.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you're well aware that what happens on a football field is FAR different from what happens on the street.

Otherwise guys would be getting arrested left and right.

Sorry if I'm on a high horse to you, I simply think spitting is a more heinous act than throwing a punch, and alot of people in the NFL seem to agree.

You don't hear about guys getting fined $17,500 for throwing a punch, do you?? I wonder why.

MTK 01-11-2006 09:59 AM

[QUOTE=hurrykaine]It amazes me sometimes about how we can be homers to the core. If Roy Williams had done this to Ladell Betts, we would be calling for a huge fine and a 2 game suspension.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, I could only imagine what people would be saying if the roles were reversed. We'd be ready to march on the NFL offices in NY. I agree, people who don't see anything wrong with what Taylor did are straight up blind homers.

EternalEnigma21 01-11-2006 10:02 AM

[QUOTE=hurrykaine]It amazes me sometimes about how we can be homers to the core. If Roy Williams had done this to Ladell Betts, we would be calling for a huge fine and a 2 game suspension.

There is simply no defending ST on this. He was lucky that there has been no precedent of a spitting related suspension.

That said, spitting is more common in international club soccer and rugby and wouldn't be considered as egregious as kicking someone in the family jewels. Funny how in football its the complete opposite - the game is centered around hitting and tackling, but if god forbid, someone spits, its against the spirit of the game, and a vile disgusting act.[/QUOTE]

the NFL tries to keep the game family friendly. That's why they panned away from ST dry-humping bettis last year... why they fined saleve'a for lifting the leg... etc...

As far as being a homer... you better believe it. Life is not fair by a long stretch. If you're a part of a team, or a fan, you should support the members of that team. (unless of course it's something that goes against your own morals and personal standards, which I can completely understand).

Furthermore, we're here as fans, and not judges, who have to make objective decisions based only on evidence. I say, that that video is inadmissable due to the fact that it wasn't listed in discovery.

Schneed10 01-11-2006 10:03 AM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]I'm sure you're well aware that what happens on a football field is FAR different from what happens on the street.

Otherwise guys would be getting arrested left and right.

Sorry if I'm on a high horse to you, I simply think spitting is a more heinous act than throwing a punch, and alot of people in the NFL seem to agree.

You don't hear about guys getting fined $17,500 for throwing a punch, do you?? I wonder why.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't care less about the fine, the fine means nothing to me. $17,000 to Sean Taylor is nothing, and if the NFL really thought the act was so heinous, they would have fined Taylor more, not less, than they fined Clinton Portis for wearing the wrong socks, for crying out loud.

And I realize that the NFL is a different world, a world where hitting is part of the game. The thing we really should be asking ourselves is why don't the refs throw a flag everytime someone throws a punch? A lot of the time, the refs just break up the action and don't throw flags. Why? Because they don't want to tip the competitive balance of a game. So why should spitting be treated any different? Why would you eject a player for spitting, thus influencing one team's ability to compete? What is the basis for this judgment? It's an emotional reaction, specifically the emotion of disgust. If you're letting emotions rule your judgments, you are by definition not being fair.

Schneed10 01-11-2006 10:05 AM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]Oh man, I could only imagine what people would be saying if the roles were reversed. We'd be ready to march on the NFL offices in NY. I agree, people who don't see anything wrong with what Taylor did are straight up blind homers.[/QUOTE]

I don't think a soul has said that Taylor's act wasn't wrong. I think people have questioned what is more wrong, hitting or spitting. And as an extension, they've questioned the rash judgment handed down by Carey in the heat of the moment.

I'd make the same argument for any player, because I for one, do not allow my emotions to dictate my judgments.