Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Will Arrington take a pay cut? (MERGED) (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=10594)

Riggo44 01-17-2006 08:27 PM

Re: Will Arrington take a pay cut?

You never know. He might take a pay cut and stay. I sure hope he does.

50PoundHead 01-18-2006 09:12 AM

Packer fan here. First off, congratulations on a great season! Nice looking squad you have and you certainly played well down the stretch.

On the Arrington contract:[indent][list=1][*]What is the 2006 cap hit?[*]How much is roster bonus?[*]What does his annual salary look like currently?[/list][/indent]Thanks. And keep up the great work. Redskins' fans are great fans. I have never met a one of them that didn't know their football and didn't have a great passion for their team.

FRPLG 01-18-2006 09:41 AM

[QUOTE=50PoundHead]Packer fan here. First off, congratulations on a great season! Nice looking squad you have and you certainly played well down the stretch.

On the Arrington contract:[indent][list=1][*]What is the 2006 cap hit?[*]How much is roster bonus?[*]What does his annual salary look like currently?[/list][/indent]Thanks. And keep up the great work. Redskins' fans are great fans. I have never met a one of them that didn't know their football and didn't have a great passion for their team.[/QUOTE]
On the front page there is a link on the left that has all the Skins cap/contract information. It will tell you everything you'd ever want to know about Lavar's contract. By the way we'll trade you Lavar for your first rounder and Javon Walker. Wink Wink.

Longtimefan 01-18-2006 11:14 PM

[QUOTE=Southpaw]I'm sick of people making comments like "he overpursues, is too aggressive, and isn't where he's supposes to be" like all the problems with the defense are LaVars fault. If every player were where they supposed to be 100% of the time, then no opponent would score any points against Washington. When was the last time they blanked somebody?

But realistically, LaVar is done as a Redskin. I've said this before; when has the Washington front office ever cared about taking a huge cat hit? And even if he was willing to restructure, he would still be gone. Just ask Stephen Davis, Champ Bailey, Fred Smoot, Antonio Pierce, and eventually, Patrick Ramsey. Even further down the road, it's going to happen to Samuels, Portis, and Taylor once they're all used up, and most of you will hate on them too. That's how we do it in Washington.[/QUOTE]

Sadly to say it's not personal. The same thing happens to other players around the league when their cap figure becomes too high. So don't make it seem like the Redskins are any different from the rest of the league. The lesson that needs to be learned is not to sign players to that kind of contract when you know full well you have no intentions of honoring it just to get them to play for a few years and then be gone. Too much to pay one player and not win a championship. Remember, LaVar is also due a roster bonus of 6.(something) so when it comes to restructering his contract, good luck with the Postons. I hope the Redskins don't sign players to any more contracts like they did Samuels, Steven Davis, and LaVar. If they remain with the team, they have to be redone too many times.

dmek25 01-18-2006 11:21 PM

he stays.too much money involved just to jettison him

Longtimefan 01-18-2006 11:43 PM

[QUOTE=Southpaw]Makes no sense? So all of those times that LaVar is out on third down, no big plays occur? Actually, those are the exact times that the big plays tend to happen. If LaVar is such a liability when he's on the field, who's having the finger pointed at them when they give up a big play with him off the field? Who was to blame when when it was 3rd and 2, Maurice Morris got the ball and ran right at Warrick Holdman, who got blocked out of his shoes? Who was to blame on the 3rd and short at the end of the game, when Mac Strong got the longest run of his career, running on the beloved Marcus Washingtons' side?

All of this is a moot point anyway, since LaVar is gone before next season. I'm just tired of LaVar being the only person having a finger pointed at him for giving up a big play, when they all do it.[/QUOTE]

The thing is they don't get paid the money LaVar get's paid. When you're paid as handsomely as he is you should have no problem getting on the field, or determining what your role is on the team. Defensive players that are paid LaVar price are game changers that make game changing plays every game, not just sometime. They are going to be on the field without argument and play the position the way it should be played. If LaVar, the way he plays can command his salry. I would sure love to see how much Lawrence Taylor could command if he was playing today. For what LaVar is being paid he should be turning in LT type games though I don't suspect he could ever come close. I can remember when there was no way any team would ever consider playing a defensive player that much money. An athletic player he may be, but the playmaking for the money is just not there, sorry.

I would be willing to bet Joe Gibbs wishes LaVar was a shadow of LT because he was the real reason why we had so much trouble beating the Giants during his first tenure. LT was a game changer.

Longtimefan 01-19-2006 12:06 AM

[QUOTE=That Guy]quick caution, lavar may be willing to rework the deal, but that doesn't mean the two sides are going to be able to meet on a figure small enough to keep a sane cap number in place...[/QUOTE]

Take that with a grain of salt because next week he may be saying something else. This is the second time I've heard him say this since we played our last game. This is one time it's not going to be all up to LaVar. This is still a business, and he's represented by the Brothers.

Hail2em 01-19-2006 09:13 AM

Arrington news

[b]Redskins | Team has options for Arrington[/b]
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:44:02 -0800

Jason La Canfora, of the Washington Post, reports <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/37/nfl">[color=#0000ff]Washington Redskins[/color] LB [url="http://www.kffl.com/player/1917/nfl"][color=#0000ff]LaVar Arrington[/color][/url] will cost $12 million against the team's salary cap for the 2006 season, but the team has options to lower that number. He is due a $6.5 million roster bonus by July 15 which can be converted to a signing bonus prorated over four years. This would save the team close to $5 million in cap space for 2006. The other option is to have him restructure his contract, something Arrington has stated he is open to.

Hog1 01-19-2006 09:20 AM

Re: Arrington news

I thought he stated he would not re-structure again?

EternalEnigma21 01-19-2006 09:25 AM

Re: Arrington news

The post has been reporting that he has spoken with Snyder and is open to the possibility of restructuring. I'm sure it means more guaranteed money in bonuses and they can stretch the cap hit out.

Word of advice Mr. Arrigton.... READ AND UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING YOU SIGN THIS TIME!!!!!! :smashfrea

That Guy 01-19-2006 09:49 AM

[QUOTE=50PoundHead]Packer fan here. First off, congratulations on a great season! Nice looking squad you have and you certainly played well down the stretch.

On the Arrington contract:[indent]
[list=1][*]What is the 2006 cap hit?[*]How much is roster bonus?[*]What does his annual salary look like currently?[/list][/indent]Thanks. And keep up the great work. Redskins' fans are great fans. I have never met a one of them that didn't know their football and didn't have a great passion for their team.[/QUOTE]

right now he'd be 12 mill hit in 2006 without a restructure if we keep him (or trade/cut him before june 1st), after the 1st he'd be 5mill this year and 7mill next year (+the cost of replacing his spot on the roster). It looks like he might restructure to let the team pro-rate this year's bonus, in which case he'd be a 7mill hit for 2006 (but that'd be low enough to keep him). HOWEVER, until the cba is extended the skins can't make that move do to the 30% clause during the last year of an existing cba.

12thMan 01-19-2006 09:59 AM

[QUOTE=That Guy]right now he'd be 12 mill hit in 2006 without a restructure if we keep him (or trade/cut him before june 1st), after the 1st he'd be 5mill this year and 7mill next year (+the cost of replacing his spot on the roster). It looks like he might restructure to let the team pro-rate this year's bonus, in which case he'd be a 7mill hit for 2006 (but that'd be low enough to keep him). HOWEVER, until the cba is extended the skins can't make that move do to the 30% clause during the last year of an existing cba.[/QUOTE]

If you guys haven't already, there's a good article in todays WP about the cap situation and how Arrington could affect it all.