Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Am I missing something on Ramsey? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=10639)

Paintrain 01-16-2006 01:53 PM

Am I missing something on Ramsey?

Besides the fact that Joe Gibbs likes to have 2 starting worthy QB on the roster, what has anyone seen to make them beleive Ramsey will be a Redskin in '06?

1. This coaching staff has been in place for 2 offseasons, both of which they used to get a QB.

2. Ramsey gets hurt (not injured) but doesn't sniff game action except in blowouts until Brunell gets injured in the NYG game.

3. The staff did all they could to get Brunell on the field at 65-70% against Philly in a must win game rather than start a 100% healthy Ramsey.

I know some people on the board think Ramsey will be a successful NFL QB (I admittedly am not one of them) but even if that's the case I don't see it happening here but I see a lot of people factoring him into the equation next year. What am I missing?

GB1 01-16-2006 02:02 PM

Re: Am I missing something on Ramsey?

I think Ramsey could be a success in the NFL. He's a gamer and has the arm. But he needs to work on his game management and reading of defenses.

I get the feeling that he will *not* be successful with the Skins, however. Better to trade him and let him start fresh. There's interest out there. Plus, what about Campbell???

GB

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 01-16-2006 02:03 PM

I think a lot depends on Campbell's development. If Campbell isn't ready there is no way we jettison Ramsey (unless we pickup a FA QB). If Campbell looks decent, I think Ramsey's departure is a foregone conclusion. Unfortunately for us, only the coaching staff will know whether Campbell looks good enough to backup Brunell before they make the decision to get rid of or keep Ramsey.

firstdown 01-16-2006 02:04 PM

The first thing you stated is Gibbs likes to have two starting QB's. That fact alone will keep him here unless he realy pushes to get traded. I for one would love to see him back for another year and feel that he has learned more this year than he has in the past. Brunell got us into the playoffs but I just don't know if he has enough in his arm to last a full season. Maybe Gibbs saw that he was struggling but felt he had to stick with what got us to this point. If you look at the other teams who switched QB's they are both out of the playoffs.

hurrykaine 01-16-2006 02:05 PM

I think the coaching staff identified a few key flaws in Ramsey's game - flaws serious enough to relegate him to being Brunell's backup.

1. He tries to force too many throws.
2. Doesn't throw the ball away in high pressure situations (he's learning to do that from Brunell - an example being in the Giants game)
3. Not consistent at throwing in anticipation to hit a receiver in stride.
4. Can't throw slants because he puts too much heat on the ball.
5. Can't look off and throw short screen passes as well as Brunell.

A 65-70% healthy Brunell is a serviceable enough QB to manage the game for Gibbs. However, as we saw, if the running game ain't working, then a 65-80% healthy Brunell isn't going to win games for us.

That said, Ramsey could've improved substantially simply by watching Brunell this past season. We won't ever know until he goes to another team and lights it up.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 01-16-2006 02:10 PM

I reserve judgment on Ramsey. Sometimes he looks really good (ie the end of the last season). Other times he looks confused and second-rate. If the coaching staff decides to move on without him, I will trust that they think Campbell has developed enough to back Brunell up. Conversely, if they decide to keep Ramsey, I'll be happy (especially because I won't have to change my screen name).

hurrykaine 01-16-2006 02:13 PM

[QUOTE=Ramseyfan]I reserve judgment on Ramsey. Sometimes he looks really good (ie the end of the last season). Other times he looks confused and second-rate. If the coaching staff decides to move on without him, I will trust that they think Campbell has developed enough to back Brunell up. Conversely, if they decide to keep Ramsey, I'll be happy (especially because I won't have to change my screen name).[/QUOTE]

I would have to assume that despite all the flaws in his game, Ramsey is far ahead of Campbell as far as being the #1 back up QB. It will be a coup if Gibbs and the front office manage to bring Ramsey back for next year.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 01-16-2006 02:15 PM

[QUOTE=hurrykaine]I would have to assume that despite all the flaws in his game, Ramsey is far ahead of Campbell as far as being the #1 back up QB. It will be a coup if Gibbs and the front office manage to bring Ramsey back for next year.[/QUOTE]

Your assumption that Ramsey is probably more developed than Campbell is probably correct. But, perhaps Campbell surprises people and looks better than anticipated.

SC Skins Fan 01-16-2006 02:25 PM

[QUOTE=Ramseyfan]Your assumption that Ramsey is probably more developed than Campbell is probably correct. But, perhaps Campbell surprises people and looks better than anticipated.[/QUOTE]

It is just hard to believe that you draft someone in the first round just to have them sit around and be a #3 QB...you could get Tim Hasselbeck or Sage Rosenfels to do that. I also wonder if Ramsey's presence might stiffle Campbell's development. I'm not really sure exactly how all these things work, but if you are prepping Ramsey as the #2 QB isn't that taking time and reps away from Jason Campbell?

Paintrain 01-16-2006 02:41 PM

I also think that Ramsey is in the final season of his rookie contract so he will likely push to be traded to a team where he can get a chance to start so he is not going into free agency without meaningful playing time in 2 years..

I think the #2 QB gets about 15% of the snaps during the season and the #3 QB runs the scout team. I am interested to hear where Campbell's development is at this stage.

Pocket$ $traight 01-16-2006 02:48 PM

Believe it or not, I think they will get at least a 3rd rounder for Ramsey. You have to trade him to get some value and work on the cap number.

They made their bed with Campbell it is time to see what he can do.

gusbus 01-16-2006 03:24 PM

I think people have to remember that he doesn't even have a full season of starts under his bellt yet. Not to mention most of those starts were under Spurrier's kill the QB system. Against the Bears he passed for more yards in the 1st quarter (then he got hurt) then Brunnell did in rest of the game. Someone's assesment that he doesn't throw the ball away in tight situations is correct - but he is young and that will come in time. He throws the ball into tight coverage - he'll learn that too. Not that great at reading defenses - that comes with PT. He can't throw the quick slant b/c he puts too much zip on the ball- that is absurd, I know one QB who makes a name for himself breaking WRs fingers and he is on the way to the HOF (Favre). Just remember how long it took Favre, Aikman, Simms, Young, Hasselbeck, Delhomme to get going in their careers.

Ramsey appears on the outside to be a good young QB that needs to be in the same system for a few seasons and to grow. The Coaching staff must see something in practice that just turns them off. Hopefully they aren't making a mistake.

saden1 01-16-2006 04:00 PM

As it stands right now, Ramsey is a capable backup and no one but the coaches know if he has improved enough to be a #1 QB. Obviously the coaches would like to keep him so it's up to Ramsey as to whether he stays or leaves. In all likelihood he'll request a trade.

SkinsLB5607 01-16-2006 04:26 PM

It all depends on how well Campbell is progressing.... Joe Thiesmann didn't start for years. Hopefully Campbell starts soon because Brunell isn't mobile really anymore. They need a mobile QB with a good arm. All that put together equals

#17 JASON CAMPBELL

SkinsLB5607 01-16-2006 07:28 PM

Ramsey's Future With Redskins Uncertain

[url="http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=15036"]http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=15036[/url]

It basically means goodbye Ramsey!