Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   who is a better coach (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=1064)

jasonskin 04-27-2004 08:16 PM

who is a better coach

Who is a better defnsive coach Gregg Williams or Marvin Lewis

jdlea 04-27-2004 08:18 PM

My vote is with Marvin Lewis.

SKINSnCANES 04-27-2004 08:24 PM

Bills had the number 2 D last year. I think Lewis is a slightly better coach, but is also a lot more conservative. Lewis is very strict and not as aggressive. Williams will fit the Skins better because he will attack more and not limit players roles.

PSUskinsfan11 04-27-2004 08:29 PM

Lewis no doubt

skins009 04-27-2004 08:32 PM

strickly as a defensive coordinator I would have to say Williams. I say this because even when The Ravens won that super bowl with that great defense, they still finished number two in the leage. The number one defense was the tennesse Titans leed by our very own gregg Williams. Plus Lewis had Ray lewis, its not hard to be a good defense when you have that guy. The bottom line is all coaches are limited by the amount of talent they have. Buffalo's D wasnt' good the instant Williams got there, it took time to aquire the talent. I will say though, other than of course getting Coach Gibbs, the best offseason by far was Gregg Williams, more than any other player or draft choice. My prediction for the defense this year is a improved group, but still not in the top 15. We still have no talent on the d-line, and that is where it all starts for a defense.

Gmanc711 04-27-2004 08:42 PM

Marvin Lewis by a long shot. Thats no knock against Greg Williams, but Lewis is one of a kind.

Duffman003 04-27-2004 09:29 PM

I think Marvin Lewis is one of the top coaches in the league.

Scott 04-27-2004 10:42 PM

I'd have to agree, Lewis is a great coach, Williams is good for the skins because of the types of players we have, very aggressive style.

skinsfanthru&thru 04-27-2004 10:47 PM

i like both coaches and what they can do, but lewis has gotten his success as a def. cordinator with quite a bit of talent whereas williams has had similar defensive success(maybe a bit more pressures and sacks), but with a considerably lower level of talent at his disposal. so i have to go with williams, plus he's our coach and lewis isn't, lol.

JoeRedskin 04-27-2004 10:53 PM

If your talking Def. Coordinators only, then I think its a close call with an edge to Williams given his defensive success in Buffalo without a lot of "name" talent. As to general coaching skills, I think it's got to be Lewis. He is going to make Cinci into a playoff team. That alone should get him into the HOF.

redwagonskins 04-27-2004 11:09 PM

Lewis. He got out apparently hollow d to be on of the tops in the league desoite Spurriers offense keeping them out there 59:00 minutes a game and then takes the Bungles and actually makes them not be the butt of every joke!

offiss 04-28-2004 03:13 AM

Tough to go against a decendant of the buddy ryan school of defense, William's get's my vote.

beg8878 04-28-2004 12:36 PM

I think you have to see what Willimas can do with our defense before deciding who is better.

In my opinion, if Williams can turn our D around from the under achieving unit we've had here the past few years and can get us into a top 5 ranking, then I would lean a little towards Williams.

Right now though, I would lean towards Marvin.

kingerock 04-28-2004 12:40 PM

I think Lewis is still a wait and see type coach. I think he had great success with the Ravens, but Bugs Bunny could have coached that group of guys to success... He's done a great job so far in Cincy, but it could have been a Kitna thing.

On the other hand, Williams may have not had great luck as a head coach in Buffalo, but he's always had great defenses. Been able to do more with a roster that doesn't even come close to matching ours on defense.

SkinsRock 04-28-2004 01:00 PM

I agree with JoeRedskin that as a D coordinator, it's Williams, for succeeding with lesser talent. But overall as a coach and motivator, it's gotta be Lewis.