Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do you agree with this assessment of the Skins? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=1071)

Paintrain 04-28-2004 04:36 PM

Do you agree with this assessment of the Skins?

This is from Mark Maske's chat on Monday in the Washington Post

[b]Mark Maske: In the big picture, the Redskins are a far better team than they were at the end of last season. They will be better-coached. They have two quarterbacks on which they can rely. They have one of the best runners in the league. They have good wide receivers, an offensive line that will be much improved in this offensive system and, now, a tight end sufficient to make the offense work. They're still short on the defensive line, but they have good linebackers. They don't have a true No. 1 cornerback but they have two guys who are better than No. 2 cornerbacks, and you should be able to make it work that way. They have a good safety (Bowen) and a great one (Taylor), and they have a reliable kicker and a return who can change a game. That's a lot more than Bill Parcells had to work with last season when he took the Cowboys to the playoffs, and Joe Gibbs is as good or better than Parcells. [/b]

JWsleep 04-28-2004 04:41 PM

Sounds good to me. And we have Williams. Once again, we've done great in the offseason. Now let's get it going on when it counts!!!!

cpayne5 04-28-2004 04:46 PM

I've said it once, and I'll say it again.

16-0!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, I'm pumped up, let's get this thing going.

Sorry for being overly optimistic, guys.

Gmanc711 04-28-2004 04:48 PM

Exactly what I would say if I had to give a assessment of the team. The only place on the feild you can look at as a weakness is our d-line, other that that, nothin...

skinsfanthru&thru 04-28-2004 04:59 PM

that sounds right on to me except the question of gibbs being as good as or better than parcells. gibbs is far better than parcells and i could even say that even if i wasn't a skins fan by just looking at the records.

Carnage 04-28-2004 05:01 PM

Finally some love from the mainstream press!
AND this team may remain intact for 2-3 seasons.

cpayne5 04-28-2004 05:06 PM

[QUOTE=Carnage]Finally some love from the mainstream press!
AND this team may remain intact for 2-3 seasons.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, Mark Maske is a respectable columnist with the WP. He's frequently on Fox5 in DC for their Sports Extra show on Sunday nights. He's not a Dan Snyder basher, he comments on the Skins in a logical way (more than we can say from others).

MTK 04-28-2004 05:07 PM

Sounds like an accurate assessment to me, the most imporant part being the better coached part.

Scott 04-28-2004 05:10 PM

the best part is that Maske was a spurrier hater and he was not liked by the spurrier administration, so obviously this guy is objective.
Spurrier used to start all of his press conferences saying "Gentlemen & Maske"

Jamaican'Skin 04-28-2004 05:30 PM

I believe that this is a fair assessment.

SmootSmack 04-28-2004 08:44 PM

I agree with this assessment. Especially the assessment that imagine what Gibbs can do with this talent considering what Parcells did last year with a much less talented team

sportscurmudgeon 04-28-2004 08:54 PM

Do I agree with the assessment? For the most part, yes.

I'm not ready yet to call Sean Taylor a "great" safety. He hasn't even put on pads yet in the NFL. Might that wait until he's played about 10 games before we rush into that description? I would agree that Sean Taylor brings some outstanding credentials to the defensive backfield from a premiere college football program. But, I'll wait on "great" for just a while if I may.

They have an offensive line that damned well better be improved or their two reliable QBs and their premiere running back are going to underachieve. and they better improve by a lot - particularly on pass blocking.

The defensive line got better in the offseason just by getting rid of a few of the gassers that were on the DL last year. If they put a pair of cigar store Indians in at DT this year, they would not be much worse. They signed two "second-tier" free agents to play there but that is a big emprovement over what was there last year. Is it good enough? We'll know about December 1st.

Oh, by the way, Mark Maske is not a columnist; he is a beat reporter. There is a BIG difference. And I don't know that he becomes more knowledgeable or more objective or more insightful just because he says something nice about the team he is coverning or the owner of that team. Having said that, I think Mark Maske is knowledgable about the NFL and is not one of the local press toadies who is in the Skins' hip pocket.

Cush 04-28-2004 09:27 PM

I agree, somewhat. The offense will probably better. They finally have a running back, and Bugel will help the OL.

I'm still not sold on the defense. Coach Williams will help, as will Taylor, but I still see it as a question mark.

JoeRedskin 04-28-2004 09:53 PM

I agree with the assessment of the team, but I don't think Maske is "mainstream press". He's a Skins homer. He may have hated Spurrier but, if you felt like the team you loved was being screwed by the coaching, wouldn't you bash the coach too?

Bottom line- Let's see what things look like when the scores count. If (I mean when) Gibbs starts winning quickly, the mainstream press will fall in love with him all over again - You'll be surprised how many of them start trying to say "I believed all along".

Ghost 04-28-2004 10:01 PM

I agree with the assessment with the following exceptions: Smoot is young and might still emerge as a #1 CB, perhaps this season. And as for Parcells making the playoffs in similar circumstances, I'd say the NFC East was a lot weaker last season, thus diminishing his accomplishment just a bit.

On paper I believe this is the best team the Redskins have had in over a decade. We don't know exactly how the pieces are going to mesh yet but you have to like all the upgrades the team has made, especially the change of coaches. With the new players, the new systems, the new coaches, the team might struggle at first but I'm betting they finish strong. If the Skins were in another division, I'd like our odds of a wild card at least. But the old NFC East is back and it's probably going to be a dogfight ... I don't think we should underestimate any team in our division. At a minimum, the upcoming season will be competitive and fun to watch ... and there's a small but realistic chance we'll get to the Super Bowl every season from now until Gibbs retires.

Beemnseven 04-28-2004 10:12 PM

Well said, SC. Everyone [I]assumes[/I] the offensive line play will improve. Apparently, all they need to do is call more running plays and the line will be instantly better. I certainly hope it's that easy. We'll see.

I'm as psyched about Sean Taylor as everyone else, but some people were pretty high on Mike Rumph too. Now certainly, Taylor is touted as a much higher prospect than Rumph was. But again, we'll see.

The other aspect I'm mildly concerned about is what dropoff we'll see in pass coverage with Shawn Springs. And Fred Smoot, while a charismatic, dependable and gutsy player, will still have his fair share of passes completed against him.

Maske is correct to point out the defeciencies at D-line, but I still feel many of us are glossing it over and hoping for the best -- which is exactly what we did last year. Phillip Daniels and Cornelius Griffin are improvements to our D-line the same way Republicans are improvements over Democrats. It just isn't much different if you ask me. And there are those who say that our LB's are better -- so that means the pass rush will be just fine! .... Right?

We'll see.

I'm still optimistic, like I am every offseason, but the defensive line could prove to be more of an Achilles Heel than many people expect.

MTK 04-28-2004 10:39 PM

Griffin if properly motivated could be a really nice pickup. He killed us in a game two years ago, had something like 10 tackles and 3 sacks and he was in the backfield all day. He could be a force. Or he could be a disappointment as he's been thus far in his young career. We'll see.

I think there's a June 1 cut out there waiting for us on the DL.

SKINSnCANES 04-28-2004 11:23 PM

I assume we will get atleast one more player from free agency, they really want to build the team as much as they can this year. With Moore being cut, possibly Wynn if we get another linemen, mabye Fiore if he retires...We should be able to free up some money.

I think the offense is pretty much set for next year. All we need to do is figure out the backups at running back, and the depth chart at receiver. I think our dline is goign to get more pressure no matter what this year, even if we had the same players, jsut because of the motivation and new revived team spirit.

sportscurmudgeon 04-29-2004 11:28 AM

Beemnseven:

After watching Mike Rumph get burned over and over again in one game, I gave him the nickname Mike Rumph "Roast". I haven't seen any reason to change it yet. Didn't the Niners trade up to get Rumph because they projected him as a "shut-down corner"?

That's why I am perfectly willing to be very optimistic about Sean Taylor becoming a premiere safety in the NFL, but I'm going to wait before I call him "great".

backrow 04-29-2004 12:55 PM

Wow!

[QUOTE=Ghost]I agree with the assessment with the following exceptions: Smoot is young and might still emerge as a #1 CB, perhaps this season. And as for Parcells making the playoffs in similar circumstances, I'd say the NFC East was a lot weaker last season, thus diminishing his accomplishment just a bit.

On paper I believe this is the best team the Redskins have had in over a decade. We don't know exactly how the pieces are going to mesh yet but you have to like all the upgrades the team has made, especially the change of coaches. With the new players, the new systems, the new coaches, the team might struggle at first but I'm betting they finish strong. If the Skins were in another division, I'd like our odds of a wild card at least. But the old NFC East is back and it's probably going to be a dogfight ... I don't think we should underestimate any team in our division. At a minimum, the upcoming season will be competitive and fun to watch ... and there's a small but realistic chance we'll get to the Super Bowl every season from now until Gibbs retires.[/QUOTE]

Wow, Ghost! Very deep, and very true. All of that from a guy who isn't all there! (Play on your name) LOL!

And, I agree!

kingerock 04-29-2004 02:45 PM

I think it's right on. I think the jury is still out on Taylor as with any rookie, but i expect him to have a great rookie season kinda like Williams had over in Dallas. I was saying almost the same thing about our corners in Smoot and Springs to a Cowboy fan the other day. I hope our unsung heroes this season is our dline though.