Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/)
-   -   Gibbs to give up playcalling (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/10769-gibbs-to-give-up-playcalling.html)

jdlea 01-22-2006 12:19 PM

Gibbs to give up playcalling

Per Mort on ESPN. He explained that Al Saunders will call the plays and Gibbs will take on more of a CEO position where he will oversee the entire operation and make the GM decisions. This will be the first time in his career that he will call the offensive plays according to Chris Mortensen.

FRPLG 01-22-2006 12:21 PM

Re: Gibbs to give up playcalling

You mean the first time Gibbs won't call the plays right? Saunders has called the plays in kC for four years I thought.

jdlea 01-22-2006 12:26 PM

[QUOTE=FRPLG]You mean the first time Gibbs won't call the plays right? Saunders has called the plays in kC for four years I thought.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I meant. The first time Gibbs won't call the plays, sorry about that. Maybe a little proofreading next time.

wolfeskins 01-22-2006 12:54 PM

this could definately be a good thing. while i love gibbs, i think saunders play calling will be more aggressive.

Daseal 01-22-2006 12:57 PM

I agree Wolfeskins. This does a lot of things for the organization:
1) Lets Gibbs micromanage everyone.
2) Helps with Gibbs' health. While it's not a huge concern not running the offense must be a load off and he won't get burned out so quick.
3) Saunders WILL be more aggressive, improve our deep passing game, and bring tips to Bugel that KC's line used to run the ball down everyone's throat.

The Saunders hire is perfect and bringing him in and not giving him complete control of the offense (I doubt he'd even come here if he didn't have full control of the offense considering he could be a head coach right now) would be ridiculous.

Paintrain 01-22-2006 01:13 PM

Mort also said the Colts will franchise Reggie Wayne so we will be looking elsewhere for a #2 WR for Saunders to incorporate..

With Saunders having complete play calling control (although I thought Burns called the plays this year with Gibbs having override approval) that should open up the offense dramatically. I think the only times Gibbs will step in will be to tell Saunders to take the air out of the ball some or if he sees something that he thinks they can exploit.

Dirtbag59 01-22-2006 01:36 PM

[QUOTE=Paintrain]Mort also said the Colts will franchise Reggie Wayne so we will be looking elsewhere for a #2 WR for Saunders to incorporate..

[/QUOTE]

How do the Colts have enough cap room to keep all these players? IMO the fact that Mannings commanding a cap number of 15 million per year is crippling his own organization. The guy could easily get endorsement deals to compensate for money he gave back to the team. However as long as it makes it harder for the Colts to win a Super Bowl I'm all for it.

wolfeskins 01-22-2006 01:46 PM

[QUOTE=Dirtbag359]How do the Colts have enough cap room to keep all these players? IMO the fact that Mannings commanding a cap number of 15 million per year is crippling his own organization. The guy could easily get endorsement deals to compensate for money he gave back to the team. However as long as it makes it harder for the Colts to win a Super Bowl I'm all for it.[/QUOTE]

yea, and they need to sign edgerrin james this year because they franchised him last year.

whats the average salary of the top 5 wr ? does anyone know ?

Paintrain 01-22-2006 02:24 PM

[QUOTE=Dirtbag359]How do the Colts have enough cap room to keep all these players? IMO the fact that Mannings commanding a cap number of 15 million per year is crippling his own organization. The guy could easily get endorsement deals to compensate for money he gave back to the team. However as long as it makes it harder for the Colts to win a Super Bowl I'm all for it.[/QUOTE]
Mort said they will likely let Vanderjagt and E. James go because Wayne is their #1 priority.

wolfeskins 01-22-2006 02:27 PM

[QUOTE=Paintrain]Mort said they will likely let Vanderjagt and E. James go because Wayne is their #1 priority.[/QUOTE]

wow, i'm surprised they would let james go.

jdlea 01-22-2006 05:30 PM

[QUOTE=wolfeskins]wow, i'm surprised they would let james go.[/QUOTE]

They've been acting like they were gonna let Edge go since last year. They were saying that they could close the same kind of production out of Dominic Rhodes. I think that's a mistake, but that's the way the Colts have been looking at it since they franchised Edge last season.

70Chip 01-22-2006 05:37 PM

Does this mean that Saunders will talk to Brunell? Or does it mean that Saunders will talk to Gibbs who will talk to Brunell?

Beemnseven 01-22-2006 05:50 PM

[QUOTE=wolfeskins]wow, i'm surprised they would let james go.[/QUOTE]

I'm not. Not to take anything away from E. James, it's typically easier to replace a running back than it is to develop and work in a new wide receiver. Manning and Wayne have excellent chemistry. Good, serviceable running backs are much easier to come by.

FRPLG 01-22-2006 06:16 PM

RBs are a dime a dozen and their offense is predicated on the pass. They'll stick an average guy in there and be fine.