Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Theismann Vs. Peter King...right now on ESPN Radio (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=10912)

onlydarksets 02-03-2006 11:04 AM

Re: Theismann Vs. Peter King...right now on ESPN Radio

[QUOTE=skinsguy]Believe me, anybody who watched football in the 80's knows who Art Monk is and what kind of football player he was. There's no excuses, he should've already been in the hall of fame.[/QUOTE]

You nailed the exact problem with having fans vote. It's not "fans from the 80s" who are the problem. Monk wasn't eligible until 2000. That's a 10 year gap, and a lot of fans aren't big on history.

Look - Monk is the easy case. There is no legitimate argument for him not being in the Hall.

However, if we're talking about changing the rules, then you have to think about how those changes will affect the lower-visibility skill players and, more importantly, the non-skill positions. How many OL/DL would be in the Hall if fans did the voting? How many fans remember the top 10 linemen from the league 10 years ago? Some, I'm sure, but I sure don't.

MTK 02-03-2006 11:27 AM

Well, we'll find out Monk's fate tomorrow.

I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

Aikman, White and Madden seem to be sure things, beyond that though it seems the remaining guys are all on the fence and the HOF voters could go either way.

I heard John Clayton say he thinks Monk has a pretty good chance this year so we'll see.

skinsguy 02-03-2006 11:36 AM

[QUOTE=onlydarksets]You nailed the exact problem with having fans vote. It's not "fans from the 80s" who are the problem. Monk wasn't eligible until 2000. That's a 10 year gap, and a lot of fans aren't big on history.

Look - Monk is the easy case. There is no legitimate argument for him not being in the Hall.

However, if we're talking about changing the rules, then you have to think about how those changes will affect the lower-visibility skill players and, more importantly, the non-skill positions. How many OL/DL would be in the Hall if fans did the voting? How many fans remember the top 10 linemen from the league 10 years ago? Some, I'm sure, but I sure don't.[/QUOTE]

The ones who are making the decions know players from ten years ago....it just comes down to prejudice against certain players. Unfortunately, Art is on the receiving end.

onlydarksets 02-03-2006 11:54 AM

[QUOTE=skinsguy]The ones who are making the decions know players from ten years ago....it just comes down to prejudice against certain players. Unfortunately, Art is on the receiving end.[/QUOTE]

I don't think I ever said anything contradictory to this statement.

skinsguy 02-03-2006 01:50 PM

[QUOTE=onlydarksets]I don't think I ever said anything contradictory to this statement.[/QUOTE]

Was just a general statement.