Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Superbowl Memories Anyone? Leave yours (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=10918)

hail_2_da_skins 02-01-2006 12:32 PM

Re: Superbowl Memories Anyone? Leave yours

VII (1972) Miami 14, Washington 7
Garo Yepremian miss played a field-goal and fumbles and it was run back 49 yards by Mike Bass.

XVII (1982) Washington 27, Miami 17
John Riggins ran for 166 yards. The most memorable play was Riggo busting off left tackle for the game winning touchdown.

XVII (1983) L.A. Raiders 38, Washington 9
Marcus Allen ran for 191 yards. The most disappointing moment in Redskin history was seeing Marcus Allen reverse field and breaking numerous tackles for the deciding score.

XXII (1987) Washington 42, Denver 10
Doug Williams threw four touchdown passes in the second quarter. Rookie Timmy Smith ran for 204 yards. I hosted a Superbowl party at my house, filled with Denver Broncos fans and Redskin haters. My family and I was singing "Hail to the Redskins" as we were handing them their coats. My most memorable Superbowl.

XXVI (1991) Washington 37, Buffalo 24
Mark Rypien threw for 292 yards and two touchdowns. Gary Clark had 7 receptions, 114 yards and a touchdown. Art Monk had 7 receptions and 113 yards. The Posse (Gary Clark, Ricky Sanders and Art Monk) was at their best this season.

dmek25 02-01-2006 01:48 PM

hail2um your an older fart than me!wasnt it fun in 1972 to say you are a redskin fan?

jbcjr14 02-01-2006 05:02 PM

God, I miss the A-team....

Drago 02-01-2006 07:08 PM

All 3 were great of course but my favorite was SB XVII. My wife is a Dolphins fan and that game was so back and forth, we just kept going at it, then Riggo busted "The Run".
[img]http://www.redskins.com/images/team/RigginsSB.jpg[/img]

LBrown43 02-01-2006 09:45 PM

Eating my mom's stew in front of the TV set with my dad watching the first Skin's/Dolphins Super bowl. I was 11 and remember Mike Bass running back the botched field goal. Larry Brown took a beating and remember the replay after replay of him getting hit and his helmet flying. God Larry was so great to watch!!!

The win against Miami for the first one....SWEET REVENGE!!!! Riggins gets 166 yards and MVP. The "D" was tough and the offense was awesome!! Great way to notch a first championship

Screaming "OH SHIT", when Marcus Allen turns the botched run right into a 70+ TD run left. That Super Bowl made me want to quit football!! The juggernaut hits the iceberg!

Throwing a pillow at the TV and Dan Dierdorf after the Bronco's went up 10-0. His big mouth saying it was all over for the Skin's. Then the blur that was the 2nd quarter. Never had a game been so lopsided in the first 10 minutes....only to sway the Skin's way to a historic Super Bowl win.

Kurt Gouveia intercepting the Kelly pass to start out the 2nd half and pretty much taking the rest of the air out of the Bills, sails was just wonderful, wonderful. Also the Art Monk reception being overturned after that fantastic opening drive was a heart breaker, being such a Monk fan. I kept hoping they would hurry and kick the extra point but knew when the crowd moaned and roared after seeing the Jumbotron replay it was coming back. Art deserved it after making fantastic catches (I think it was 6 consecutive) to get us the first score. Turned out not to matter but was nervous for awhile...thought that was a bad omen. Still though Joe should have thrown a few more his way. He never got a Super Bowl TD.

33 years a Skins fan....Its all good!!!

Defensewins 02-01-2006 09:47 PM

SB 7 - While it was still 0-0, Billy Kilmers 3 rd down pass to a wide open Jerry Smith in the endzone and it bouncing off the the corner of the field goal upright. Oh yeah by the way the field goal posts back then were still in the field of play on the the goal line and Jerry pass route ran hime right behind the goal post.

SB 17 - Theisman's TD saving batting of the ball out of DL's hands. Was a sure TD if Theisman had not been alert.

SB 22 - Doug Williams badly spraining his knee in the 1st quarter and Jay Schroeder coming and stinking up the joint for a handfull of plays. Schroeder immeadiately get sacked on 2 out 3 plays. Williams limped for the rest of the game.

SB XXVI (1991)- Art Monk finally being healthy during a SB year. He missed the other ones due to inuries.

SmootSmack 02-01-2006 11:43 PM

Little known fact, when Riggo scored a touchdown in SB XVIII the extra point was blocked by Don Hasselbeck (Matt and Tim's father)

That blocked kick is annoying because now people think we just got 3 FGs and forget the actual touchdown. Not that it makes that much of a difference really. I could tell there would be problems when Hayes' punt was blocked early on.

SmootSmack 02-02-2006 12:03 AM

[QUOTE=LBrown43]Eating my mom's stew in front of the TV set with my dad watching the first Skin's/Dolphins Super bowl. I was 11 and remember Mike Bass running back the botched field goal. Larry Brown took a beating and remember the replay after replay of him getting hit and his helmet flying. God Larry was so great to watch!!!

The win against Miami for the first one....SWEET REVENGE!!!! Riggins gets 166 yards and MVP. The "D" was tough and the offense was awesome!! Great way to notch a first championship

Screaming "OH SHIT", when Marcus Allen turns the botched run right into a 70+ TD run left. That Super Bowl made me want to quit football!! The juggernaut hits the iceberg!

Throwing a pillow at the TV and Dan Dierdorf after the Bronco's went up 10-0. His big mouth saying it was all over for the Skin's. Then the blur that was the 2nd quarter. Never had a game been so lopsided in the first 10 minutes....only to sway the Skin's way to a historic Super Bowl win.

Kurt Gouveia intercepting the Kelly pass to start out the 2nd half and pretty much taking the rest of the air out of the Bills, sails was just wonderful, wonderful. Also the Art Monk reception being overturned after that fantastic opening drive was a heart breaker, being such a Monk fan. I kept hoping they would hurry and kick the extra point but knew when the crowd moaned and roared after seeing the Jumbotron replay it was coming back. Art deserved it after making fantastic catches (I think it was 6 consecutive) to get us the first score. Turned out not to matter but was nervous for awhile...thought that was a bad omen. Still though Joe should have thrown a few more his way. He never got a Super Bowl TD.

33 years a Skins fan....Its all good!!![/QUOTE]

What made Monk's called-back TD doubly painful was that then they missed the field goal attempt on a botched snap, or maybe it was a botched hold (I forget).

As much as it sucked that Monk never got a Super Bowl TD I think the worst decision ever was when the Bears give Refrigerator Perry the ball at the 1-yard line, denying Payton a chance to score a SB touchdown.

celts32 02-02-2006 10:52 AM

My greatest SB memory is “Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

My greatest memory in sports would be the win over Dallas the week before in the NFC Championship game...particuarly the Darryl Grant TD that clinched it.

MTK 02-02-2006 11:02 AM

[QUOTE=TAFKAS]What made Monk's called-back TD doubly painful was that then they missed the field goal attempt on a botched snap, or maybe it was a botched hold (I forget).

As much as it sucked that Monk never got a Super Bowl TD I think the worst decision ever was when the Bears give Refrigerator Perry the ball at the 1-yard line, denying Payton a chance to score a SB touchdown.[/QUOTE]

yeah I agree about Payton getting robbed.

He's one of my all-time favorite NFL players, there will never be another sweetness!

SmootSmack 02-02-2006 03:11 PM

A view from the other side

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=supervictims&num=3[/url]

70Chip 02-02-2006 03:32 PM

[QUOTE=TAFKAS]A view from the other side

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=supervictims&num=3"]http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=supervictims&num=3[/url][/QUOTE]

Don Mcneil has nothing to be ashamed of. He had a great career at Alabama and a good one in the NFL. Theres not a corner in the league that could have tackled Riggins on that play.

Skins_4_Lyfe 02-02-2006 03:55 PM

It's gotta be Williams 35 points in like 8 plays.

CrazyCanuck 02-02-2006 04:39 PM

SB XVII - I remember I had a hockey game that day. I wasn't happy. Luckily they played the bowl over the loudspeaker. So I kept one eye on the puck and one ear on the radio. I remember feeling sick when Fulton Walker returned that kick. Luckily I was able to make it home in time for most of the 2nd half, including the greatest 43-yd run ever!

SB XVIII - I still have painful memories of this one. The 83 Skins were the best team I've ever seen. I was so excited for this game...then we ran that screen play. :doh:

SB XXII - Like most of you I was not happy with where this game was heading. Then long bombs started raining from the sky.

SB XXVI - I remember Thomas losing his helmet and the rest is beautiful history.

Daseal 02-02-2006 06:08 PM

The SuperBowl we played the bills I was a little kid. Went to a Super Bowl party with my parents, talked 5 bucks out of my mom for the pool. Hit the score on the head, walked home with 350. That buys a lot of candy...