Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Any Love For Nate? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=10944)

Elfsdad 02-02-2006 10:23 AM

Any Love For Nate?

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]This is my first post on the site, lifelong Redskins fan, just trying to get some attention for Nate Burleson, currently of the Vikings, as a potential #2 receiver to complement Santana Moss.[/size][/font]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3][/size][/font]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Burleson is a restricted free agent in 2006 and given his down year in 2005 due to injuries and the shift to the #1 receiver position with the departure of Randy Moss, he won’t be in as much demand as Reggie Wayne. But in 2004, in only his second year in the league, he put up some gaudy numbers opposite Moss and there’s no reason to think he couldn’t do so again opposite the Redskins’ Moss. If the Redskins make the minimum qualifying offer to Burleson and the offer isn’t matched by the Vikings, the Redskins would only have to compensate the Vikings with a 3rd round draft (the round Moss was drafted in a few years ago). That certainly isn’t too much to give up to get a player of his caliber. [/size][/font]
[size=3][font=Times New Roman]Nate is young, he's already proven he can perform at a high level in this league, [/font][/size][size=3][font=Times New Roman]the Vikings are in disarray right now and might not be able to come to a consensus on whether to match a minimum qualifying offer. It all seems good to me.[/font][/size]

onlydarksets 02-02-2006 10:30 AM

Re: Any Love For Nate?

Welcome to the site! Prepare to be merged...
[url="http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=10794&page=2&pp=40"]http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=10794&page=2&pp=40[/url]

He has decent numbers (although not a lot of TDs), but my fear is that he lacks the size to have an instant impact, given that we have two other 6'0" receivers (or smaller) ahead of him on the depth chart.

[url="http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/BurlNa00.htm"][/url][url="http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/395935"]http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/395935[/url]

Dana87 02-02-2006 10:33 AM

Actually if I'm not mistaken the Vikings have to make a qualifing offer to Burleson on or before Febuary 28th. That offer will determine his compensation value. If they offer him 3rd round money that will be his compensation value. If they offer him 1st rnd money then the compensation would be a 1st rnd pick.

I do agree about his ability as a #2 WR but I also feel that he is going to get at least an offer that will make his compensation a 2nd rnd pick, if not higher. But if the Vikes front office goes on a party cruise we might have a chance at them blowing this one.

hail_2_da_skins 02-02-2006 10:34 AM

Nate Burleson is a fine receiver. The price might be right.

onlydarksets 02-02-2006 10:37 AM

I have never seen him play, so maybe those who have can shed some light. What type of receiver is he? Is he (or could he be) a possession receiver?

Carnage 02-02-2006 12:00 PM

The same thing happened to him as did Mathew Hatchett and Jake Reed when they left moss... nothin.

shallyshal 02-02-2006 12:23 PM

i agree that giving up compensation to the tune of a third rounder is not likely or worth it.. if we are talking about a RFA, then guys like lloyd or curtis or mcdonald represent far better values. still better would be to look at one of the ufa's that will be out there in a month or so..

Elfsdad 02-02-2006 12:30 PM

I think the qualifying offer comes from any team interested in Burleson other than the Vikings. The Vikings can then match the offer or choose not to, and they get compensation in the form of draft picks from Burleson's new club depending on the dollar amount of his new contract. I think the Redskins could offer Burleson a contract of $1M/year (which sounds high to me, given his injury riddled 2005 season) and if the Vikings don't match the offer, we'd owe them a third round pick in compensation. Here are some explanations I've picked up trolling the internet...

Restricted Free Agents (RFA) - Players with three years of NFL experience. Like an unrestricted free agent they are free to negotiate with any team however the current team has the right to match any offer and if they do so they retain the rights to the player. Failure to meet the offer means the player is awarded to the new team but the new team must give the old team compensation in the form of draft picks.

Q - Other than accrued seasons, what determines a restricted free agent?
A - He has received a "qualifying" offer (a salary level predetermined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the league and its players) from his old club. He can negotiate with any club through April 16. If the restricted free agent accepts an offer sheet from a new club, his old club can match the offer and retain him because it has the "right of first refusal." If the old club does not match the offer, it can possibly receive draft-choice compensation depending on the amount of its qualifying offer. If an offer sheet is not executed, the player's rights revert to his old club on April 16.
The player's original team maintains the First Refusal Right if the team tenders a contract offer of one year at $685,000 (estimate for 2006) for players with 3 accrued seasons or $725,000 (or some other sum as defined by the league in 2006) for players with four accrued seasons in uncapped years.

The player's original team maintains the Right of First Refusal and Draft Selection at the Player’s Original Draft Round (from the team with which he signs) if the team tenders an offer of one year at roughly $1 M (or some different sum to be defined by the league in 2006) OR at least 110% of the player’s prior year’s salary -- whichever is greater.

The player's original team maintains the Right of First Refusal and First Round Draft Selection (from the team with which he signs) if the team tenders an offer of one year at an estimated $1.5 million (or some different sum as defined by the league in 2006) OR at least 110% of the player’s prior year’s salary -- whichever is greater.

The player's original team maintains the Right of First Refusal and First Round Draft Selection and Third Round Draft Selection (both from the team with which he signs) if the team tenders an offer of one year at $2 million (or some different sum as defined by the league in 2006) OR at least 110% of the player's prior year’s salary -- whichever is greater.

Big C 02-02-2006 12:34 PM

[QUOTE=Elfsdad][font=Times New Roman][size=3]This is my first post on the site, lifelong Redskins fan, just trying to get some attention for Nate Burleson, currently of the Vikings, as a potential #2 receiver to complement Santana Moss.[/size][/font]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Burleson is a restricted free agent in 2006 and given his down year in 2005 due to injuries and the shift to the #1 receiver position with the departure of Randy Moss, he won’t be in as much demand as Reggie Wayne. But in 2004, in only his second year in the league, he put up some gaudy numbers opposite Moss and there’s no reason to think he couldn’t do so again opposite the Redskins’ Moss. If the Redskins make the minimum qualifying offer to Burleson and the offer isn’t matched by the Vikings, the Redskins would only have to compensate the [B]Vikings with a 3rd round draft (the round Moss was drafted in a few years ago). [/B] That certainly isn’t too much to give up to get a player of his caliber. [/size][/font]
[size=3][font=Times New Roman]Nate is young, he's already proven he can perform at a high level in this league, [/font][/size][size=3][font=Times New Roman]the Vikings are in disarray right now and might not be able to come to a consensus on whether to match a minimum qualifying offer. It all seems good to me.[/font][/size][/QUOTE]

moss was a first round pick

Sociofan 02-02-2006 12:41 PM

Before this past season, I would have said YES! GET HIM! But 30 catches for 328--even with 4 games missed (ahem, the new TJ?)--he is not a legitimate #2 threat. I agree that Kevin Curtis should be chased hard. Wayne will be too expensive.

backrow 02-02-2006 12:48 PM

[QUOTE=Elfsdad][font=Times New Roman][size=3]This is my first post on the site, lifelong Redskins fan, just trying to get some attention for Nate Burleson, currently of the Vikings, as a potential #2 receiver to complement Santana Moss.[/size][/font]
[/QUOTE]

Wecome Elfsdad!

Simon to Randy: "Well? What did you think of Nate's performance?"

Randy: "Dude, it was just alright for me." A little pitchy. Eh, it's a no!"

Simon: "No for me as well!" "Paula?"

celts32 02-02-2006 01:03 PM

The skins are already short a #1 draft pick this year so they should stay away from a restricted FA that will cost them another first day draft pick. There are plenty of unretricted WR's available that can be good #2 WR's. There is no reason to give up compensation for a #2 WR.

Schneed10 02-02-2006 01:20 PM

[QUOTE=Elfsdad]I think the qualifying offer comes from any team interested in Burleson other than the Vikings. The Vikings can then match the offer or choose not to, and they get compensation in the form of draft picks from Burleson's new club depending on the dollar amount of his new contract. I think the Redskins could offer Burleson a contract of $1M/year (which sounds high to me, given his injury riddled 2005 season) and if the Vikings don't match the offer, we'd owe them a third round pick in compensation. Here are some explanations I've picked up trolling the internet...

Restricted Free Agents (RFA) - Players with three years of NFL experience. Like an unrestricted free agent they are free to negotiate with any team however the current team has the right to match any offer and if they do so they retain the rights to the player. Failure to meet the offer means the player is awarded to the new team but the new team must give the old team compensation in the form of draft picks.

Q - Other than accrued seasons, what determines a restricted free agent?
A - He has received a "qualifying" offer (a salary level predetermined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the league and its players) from his old club. He can negotiate with any club through April 16. If the restricted free agent accepts an offer sheet from a new club, his old club can match the offer and retain him because it has the "right of first refusal." If the old club does not match the offer, it can possibly receive draft-choice compensation depending on the amount of its qualifying offer. If an offer sheet is not executed, the player's rights revert to his old club on April 16.
The player's original team maintains the First Refusal Right if the team tenders a contract offer of one year at $685,000 (estimate for 2006) for players with 3 accrued seasons or $725,000 (or some other sum as defined by the league in 2006) for players with four accrued seasons in uncapped years.

The player's original team maintains the Right of First Refusal and Draft Selection at the Player’s Original Draft Round (from the team with which he signs) if the team tenders an offer of one year at roughly $1 M (or some different sum to be defined by the league in 2006) OR at least 110% of the player’s prior year’s salary -- whichever is greater.

The player's original team maintains the Right of First Refusal and First Round Draft Selection (from the team with which he signs) if the team tenders an offer of one year at an estimated $1.5 million (or some different sum as defined by the league in 2006) OR at least 110% of the player’s prior year’s salary -- whichever is greater.

The player's original team maintains the Right of First Refusal and First Round Draft Selection and Third Round Draft Selection (both from the team with which he signs) if the team tenders an offer of one year at $2 million (or some different sum as defined by the league in 2006) OR at least 110% of the player's prior year’s salary -- whichever is greater.[/QUOTE]

The Vikings have to make him a qualifying offer first. If they don't at least do that, he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

Dana87 02-02-2006 01:46 PM

[QUOTE=Schneed10]The Vikings have to make him a qualifying offer first. If they don't at least do that, he becomes an unrestricted free agent.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. We will find out the price soon enough. Then we can debate it. As far as not giving up draft picks for RFA, I think it is relative to what pick for what player. Case in point... We gave up a 1st rnd pick for L.Coles NYJ that turned into S.Moss. Anyone want to say Moss wasn't worth our 1st rnd pick? We gave up a 4th rnd pick for T.Candidate STL. Anyone want to say he was worth it? :laughing2

steveo395 02-02-2006 02:56 PM

[QUOTE=Big C]moss was a first round pick[/QUOTE]
i think he was talking about burleson

dmek25 02-02-2006 03:01 PM

welcome to warpath elfsdad!(wheres bigskin?)

BigSKINBauer 02-02-2006 03:06 PM

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Burleson is a restricted free agent in 2006 and given his down year in 2005 due to injuries and the shift to the #1 receiver position with the departure of Randy Moss, he won’t be in as much demand as Reggie Wayne. But in 2004, in only his second year in the league, he put up some gaudy numbers opposite Moss and there’s no reason to think he couldn’t do so again opposite the Redskins’ Moss. If the Redskins make the minimum qualifying offer to Burleson and the offer isn’t matched by the Vikings, the Redskins would only have to compensate the Vikings with a 3rd round draft (the round Moss was drafted in a few years ago). That certainly isn’t too much to give up to get a player of his caliber. [/size][/font]

[size=3][font=Times New Roman]Nate is young, he's already proven he can perform at a high level in this league, [/font][/size][size=3][font=Times New Roman]the Vikings are in disarray right now and might not be able to come to a consensus on whether to match a minimum qualifying offer. It all seems good to me.[/font][/size][/QUOTE]

:welcome: :rofl: :drink :boxing: :grouphug: :rofl: :smashfrea :point: :headbange :food-smil :lol: :towel: :food-smil :headbange :drink :towel: :lol: :food-smil :headbange :woot: :headbange :towel: :woot: :cheeky-sm :welcome: :grouphug: :drink :welcome: :grouphug: :pimp: :cheeky-sm :silly: :party-smi :Flush: :biggthump :woot: :biggthump :towel: :headbange :food-smil :towel: :food-smil :headbange :woot: :smashfrea :laughing2 :welcome: :point: :party-smi :Flush: :biggthump :food-smil :towel: :woot: :welcome: :rofl: :drink :bdh: :drink :welcome:

Skins_4_Lyfe 02-02-2006 03:48 PM

[QUOTE=onlydarksets]Welcome to the site! Prepare to be merged...
[url="http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=10794&page=2&pp=40"]http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=10794&page=2&pp=40[/url]

He has decent numbers (although not a lot of TDs), but my fear is that he lacks the size to have an instant impact, given that we have two other 6'0" receivers (or smaller) ahead of him on the depth chart.

[url="http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/395935"]http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/395935[/url][/QUOTE]
Is it me or does Nate look bigger than 6ft 192lbs...I mean I'm about 6ft3in 190lbs and he looks a hell of a lot bigger than me.

dmek25 02-02-2006 04:03 PM

it must be you because i dont think he looks that big

amorentz 02-02-2006 04:53 PM

[QUOTE=backrow]Wecome Elfsdad!

Simon to Randy: "Well? What did you think of Nate's performance?"

Randy: "Dude, it was just alright for me." A little pitchy. Eh, it's a no!"

Simon: "No for me as well!" "Paula?"[/QUOTE]

Paula: "You run really nice routes, Nate, but youre just not right for this competition."

That Guy 02-02-2006 06:40 PM

he wouldn't be a bad pickup, but curtis is a much better pickup for the same price. and i rather have KR for no picks than nate for a 3rd.

Elfsdad 02-03-2006 10:43 AM

Yep - I screwed up reading the restricted free agency rules. The Vikings have to make a qualifying offer to Nate first (3/2/2006) deadline, and the level of their offer (if they even make one) determines what compensation they receive if they don't match the offer and he signs with another team.

Burleson is only 6 feet tall, but he has a 42.5 inch vertical leap, so he plays taller.

And don't over analyze what happened to his stats last year - he missed four games due to injury and was banged up with knee and shoulders problems for much of the season. Once Moss left, there was no #1 receiver on that team and the entire receiving corps underperformed as a result. Nate had 1,000 yards receiving and NINE touchdowns in 2004 opposite Randy Moss in only his second year in the league. I'm just saying that he'll be a more than capable #2 receiver primarily against single coverage if he's playing for the Redskins opposite Santana Moss.

Misterbillysells 02-03-2006 01:41 PM

remember the seasons that Peerless Price use to have in Buffalo because he played along side moulds? That who this guys reminds me of...and santana does not get nearly as much attention as R. moss does even if santana does get doubled everytime... because no team is scared of the vikes running game (like they are with clinton)...R. moss use to get doubled teamed with additional saftey help! So i dont think Nate would have the impact at number 2 we need.