Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Just how far are the Skins behind the top teams in the NFL? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=10989)

RedskinPete 02-06-2006 11:47 AM

Just how far are the Skins behind the top teams in the NFL?

This years Seattle and Pittsburgh teams are not team to roll off three of four Super Bowl wins like New England right? So just how far off are we from these kind of teams? What do we neeed to get to be playing this time next year or do we have already what we need? Just Gibbs and company more time to put it all together. So what do you think?

For me we need to upgrade WR to help take the double teams Moss is drawing. Depth to the lines. Maybe another TE. The players don't need to be super stars but guys that fit what this team is about!

firstdown 02-06-2006 12:02 PM

Re: Just how far are the Skins behind the top teams in the NFL?

Well we know one thing is your QB can have a rating under 30 and still win the SB. I think Roethlisberger had worse stats in the SB than Brunell had in or game against Tampa.

BigSKINBauer 02-06-2006 12:06 PM

1 WR, 1DE, 1 TE, and some luck

MTK 02-06-2006 12:07 PM

[QUOTE=firstdown]Well we know one thing is your QB can have a rating under 30 and still win the SB. I think Roethlisberger had worse stats in the SB than Brunell had in or game against Tampa.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if Steelers fans are calling for Charlie Batch today

:)

redrock-skins 02-06-2006 12:14 PM

We have to play well enough to get Seattle in D.C. for next year's playoff game. It will not be easy, since Seattle gets the luxury of playing all those crappy teams in their division twice. Still, crying about their schedule will not get it done for us.

firstdown 02-06-2006 12:19 PM

[QUOTE=redrock-skins]We have to play well enough to get Seattle in D.C. for next year's playoff game. It will not be easy, since Seattle gets the luxury of playing all those crappy teams in their division twice. Still, crying about their schedule will not get it done for us.[/QUOTE]One thing about the NFL all those crappy teams might be strong next year.

redrock-skins 02-06-2006 12:24 PM

[QUOTE=firstdown]One thing about the NFL all those crappy teams might be strong next year.[/QUOTE]

Maybe the Rams. The Niners will be improved, but still a ways to go, and no way am I ever falling for any pre-season talk on how much better AZ is again.

It can be hard to tell and teams can get a lot better or worse, but I think our division will be tough again.

firstdown 02-06-2006 12:34 PM

[QUOTE=redrock-skins]Maybe the Rams. The Niners will be improved, but still a ways to go, and no way am I ever falling for any pre-season talk on how much better AZ is again.

It can be hard to tell and teams can get a lot better or worse, but I think our division will be tough again.[/QUOTE]I would think that our division will be thougher next year. Giants Payton has more playing time and in their system. Eagles back health and hungry to get back in the playoffs. Skins more time under Gibbs,coaching staff and a pick up of some needed players. Dallas is the only team in our division which might drop some.

12thMan 02-06-2006 12:46 PM

I think it's well documented here and various articles where we need to upgrade.

I think, as do most here, we can be a legitimate Super Bowl contender next year.

The "X" factor will be if Brunell can stay healthy throughout the season to sustain that kind of run. I also think our O-line is poised for a breakout season.

The defense will be top five, barring a rash of injuries. Carlos Rogers is certain to improve, but I am a little woried about his durabiltiy - we'll see.

irish 02-06-2006 12:48 PM

What makes you think the Steelers cant become the next Pats? They have a young QB and overall the team is fairly young. I think the Steelers are in line to win at least 1 more SB in the next 2 seasons.

JWsleep 02-06-2006 12:52 PM

Stability of our coaching staff will help--Both Gibbs and Williams coming back is a big deal. Now we have to see if Saunders can fix the O without starting from scratch.

If Campbell develops, we are a contender, IMO. Obviously adding a possession WR and pass rushing DE and a TE will help.

saden1 02-06-2006 12:56 PM

I, saden, predict that the Redskins will go to the Super Bowl next year. You head it here first.

#56fanatic 02-06-2006 01:03 PM

[QUOTE=firstdown]I would think that our division will be thougher next year. Giants Payton has more playing time and in their system. Eagles back health and hungry to get back in the playoffs. Skins more time under Gibbs,coaching staff and a pick up of some needed players. Dallas is the only team in our division which might drop some.[/QUOTE]

I doubt Dallas drops any. The D will be stronger with the two DE playing and LBs are young. Plus I believe they are going to be in the running the James when he leaves the colts. I dont think Parcells is sold on the two guys they have.

12thMan 02-06-2006 01:18 PM

[QUOTE=#56fanatic]I doubt Dallas drops any. The D will be stronger with the two DE playing and LBs are young. Plus I believe they are going to be in the running the James when he leaves the colts. I dont think Parcells is sold on the two guys they have.[/QUOTE]

If Dallas get's better, it will be marginal. To the extent the defense improves will be offset by mediocre play by Drew Bledsoe and an aging receiving corps. And remember they probably had the most unpredictable kicking game in the NFL last year.

If they do get E.James that would be huge for them, however. But I think for the first time in a long time, the Redskins has Dallas' number.

TheMalcolmConnection 02-06-2006 01:21 PM

[QUOTE=saden1]I, saden, predict that the Redskins will go to the Super Bowl next year. You head it here first.[/QUOTE]

I concur. Without any logic involved at all, I say Skins vs. Steelers next year in the Super Bowl. I also agree with irish' logic that the Steelers still are a fairly good young team and are only going to get better.

firstdown 02-06-2006 01:26 PM

[QUOTE=TheMalcolmConnection]I concur. Without any logic involved at all, I say Skins vs. Steelers next year in the Super Bowl. I also agree with irish' logic that the Steelers still are a fairly good young team and are only going to get better.[/QUOTE]Think about that game Brunell has number like he did against Tampa and Roeth has numbers like he didi yesterday. Thay have a combine rating of around 50.LOL

VTSkins897 02-06-2006 01:28 PM

i, vtskins897, predict the redskins will go to the super bowl every year from now on... you heard it here first!

shallyshal 02-06-2006 02:19 PM

[QUOTE=RedskinPete]This years Seattle and Pittsburgh teams are not team to roll off three of four Super Bowl wins like New England right? So just how far off are we from these kind of teams? What do we neeed to get to be playing this time next year or do we have already what we need? Just Gibbs and company more time to put it all together. So what do you think?

For me we need to upgrade WR to help take the double teams Moss is drawing. Depth to the lines. Maybe another TE. The players don't need to be super stars but guys that fit what this team is about![/QUOTE]

given that this year the skins beat tampa inthe playoffs and played seattle tough on the road, and during regular season beat dallas twice, chicago and seattle... i would say they are close but definitely need some upgrading to take the fina few hurdles

they need to get lucky with some lower round picks, not waste any higher picks, make wise free agent picks and stay healthy. luck is sure involved but they are close. perhaps as little as 2 players away.. this should be an exciting off season

shallyshal 02-06-2006 02:23 PM

[QUOTE=irish]What makes you think the Steelers cant become the next Pats? They have a young QB and overall the team is fairly young. I think the Steelers are in line to win at least 1 more SB in the next 2 seasons.[/QUOTE]

the steelers will be tough. but don't forget they were 7-5.. plus their division is getting tougher. they were close to not even getting in. had san diego not imploded and had kc stayed tough the steelers would have been the od team out.

they are far from being a lock for anything next year. plus, they do not retain many of their free agents and will lose some this off season as well

they will be no dynasty so their fans should savor this year. the afc is loaded with good teams

saden1 02-06-2006 02:39 PM

I'm dead serious guys! I can't tell you for certain that they will win it but I can tell you that they will be going to the big show!

amorentz 02-06-2006 02:51 PM

[QUOTE=BigSKINBauer]1 WR, 1DE, 1 TE, and some luck[/QUOTE]

Hey BigSKIN, I love your draft picks...Id personally put Stovall at #2 however. But those are the exact guys I am crossing my fingers for!

irish 02-06-2006 03:06 PM

[QUOTE=shallyshal]the steelers will be tough. but don't forget they were 7-5.. plus their division is getting tougher. they were close to not even getting in. had san diego not imploded and had kc stayed tough the steelers would have been the od team out.

they are far from being a lock for anything next year. plus, they do not retain many of their free agents and will lose some this off season as well

they will be no dynasty so their fans should savor this year. the afc is loaded with good teams[/QUOTE]

They were 7-5 because of BR's injurys. When he is healthy they are almost unbeatable. The Steelers historically do not overpay their free agents so it will be interesting to see who stays and who goes.

Sure the afc is loaded and the division is getting tougher but that implies that the steelers wont be making improvements. I think the steelers will make improvements and some of those free agents will stay (like in NE) because they like the organization and the winning opportunities it provides.

Paintrain 02-06-2006 03:56 PM

I think we are a WR and DE away from being the #1 team in the NFC.. With those pieces I think we can beat anyone anyday, which I think was missing this year. Of course QB play will continue to drive our success next year so Brunell's health/Campbell's development will determine our ultimate destination.

hail_2_da_skins 02-06-2006 04:02 PM

The Skins were very close to making it to the big dance this year. The Skins need a strong #2 receiver. Antwaan Randle El has just made it very hard for the Steelers to not resign him next year.

Sociofan 02-06-2006 04:40 PM

[QUOTE=saden1]I, saden, predict that the Redskins will go to the Super Bowl next year. You head it here first.[/QUOTE]

Actually, Peter King of SI started the bandwagon about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

To be truthful, I think the Skins could have gone further this year than they did with their existing personnel. They simply did not have the offensive schemes to compete with the AFC West fireworks shows. While I appreciate all that Mark Brunell has done over the past couple of years, I think he has taken this team as far as he can. His body is simply breaking down and when he is hobbled, his throws look like Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn (before glasses) out there.

A new WR and some DL and DB depth would be a tremendous improvement, but getting Campbell (or Ramsey) ready would be a huge step forward. I'm curious and excited to see what Al Saunders adds to the team.

RedskinPete 02-06-2006 04:53 PM

[QUOTE=Sociofan]Actually, Peter King of SI started the bandwagon about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

To be truthful, I think the Skins could have gone further this year than they did with their existing personnel. They simply did not have the offensive schemes to compete with the AFC West fireworks shows. While I appreciate all that Mark Brunell has done over the past couple of years, I think he has taken this team as far as he can. His body is simply breaking down and when he is hobbled, his throws look like Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn (before glasses) out there.

A new WR and some DL and DB depth would be a tremendous improvement, but getting Campbell (or Ramsey) ready would be a huge step forward. I'm curious and excited to see what Al Saunders adds to the team.[/QUOTE]

I turly wish that Ramsey could be the long term QB of this team with two three super bowl rings but dose he have what it takes? Can he be what we need him to be? As for Campbell I have not see much of him not even in college so I have know idea if he could take a team to a super bowl anytime soon!

Twilbert07 02-06-2006 04:59 PM

The Redskins can learn something from the success of the Steelers this year and last: Start your young, big quarterback (J. Campbell, not P. Ramsey) and let him develop his skills on the field. If he has the talent your scouts think he has, he'll carry you deep into the playoffs and perhaps to the Super Bowl.

EXoffender 02-06-2006 07:22 PM

It's funny how the commentators never second guessed those teams being there like they did to us.

GoSkins! 02-06-2006 07:45 PM

Seattle only scored 10 points. They need to fix thier offense. It clearly feel off in the post season during the superbowl. :)

dmek25 02-06-2006 07:58 PM

saden how much have you wagered on the skins?and what kind of odds did you get?

saden1 02-06-2006 08:05 PM

[QUOTE=dmek25]saden how much have you wagered on the skins?and what kind of odds did you get?[/QUOTE]

I haven't yet. I was looking for a place willing to take bets this early but couldn't find any takers. I full intend to drop some money on the Skins though.

wolfeskins 02-06-2006 08:17 PM

[QUOTE=Twilbert07]The Redskins can learn something from the success of the Steelers this year and last: Start your young, big quarterback (J. Campbell, not P. Ramsey) and let him develop his skills on the field. If he has the talent your scouts think he has, he'll carry you deep into the playoffs and perhaps to the Super Bowl.[/QUOTE]

the biggest thing they can learn is , if you make it to the superbowl, bring your own refs. pitt. surely had their own set of refs last night.

mooby 02-06-2006 08:19 PM

[QUOTE=Twilbert07]The Redskins can learn something from the success of the Steelers this year and last: Start your young, big quarterback (J. Campbell, not P. Ramsey) and let him develop his skills on the field. If he has the talent your scouts think he has, he'll carry you deep into the playoffs and perhaps to the Super Bowl.[/QUOTE]

or they could implode like the 2005 bills, remember in 2004 the bills finished 9-7, one win away from making the playoffs, then in 2005 they handed the reins over to their second year quarterback j.p. losman. Their defense dropped from being #2 in 2004 to almost dead last in 2005. The same thing could happen to us if Jason Campbell isn't ready.

bertoskins 02-06-2006 10:07 PM

we need an OL that can block for a long TD
a wr who can pass to another wr
and mark brunnel to get there

we already have a strong D
just like pitts

That Guy 02-07-2006 02:51 AM

[QUOTE=firstdown]Think about that game Brunell has number like he did against Tampa and Roeth has numbers like he didi yesterday. Thay have a combine rating of around 50.LOL[/QUOTE]

roth ran for a TD, but that doesn't count in his rating.

That Guy 02-07-2006 02:52 AM

DE (keep wynn, he's the new DT we need then), WR, CB