Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Forget Drafting a WR!!! (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=11078)

Skins_4_Lyfe 02-15-2006 11:31 AM

Forget Drafting a WR!!!

I think that our best bet would be to avoid drafting a WR with pick #53 in the draft. Unless we can trade up I don't see this being a good idea, I'm not impressed with the WR class this year. [b]We should draft [url="http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/s/gregblue.html"]Greg Blue[/url] [/b]instead. This guy is like a Sean Taylor clone...he plays both safety positions and has more speed than most corners. Almost every negative thing thats said about him can easily be corrected and he (just like ST) has the heart of a linebacker.

We should seek bringing in either Randel El or Antonio Bryant and use a mid round pick to draft some size at the WR position. I am almost sure that the Skins won't upset; last year everyone thought we made a mistake by passing up on Mike Williams, and so far it seems like it was a wise move by going with Carlos. In recent years...first round WRs haven't worked out with us.

What are your thoughts....

Riggo44 02-15-2006 11:42 AM

Re: Forget Drafting a WR!!!

I'll admit at the time I wanted Williams. But I am glad we drafted Rogers instead. Rogers helped out a lot last year,and is only going to improve CB is a mandatory position in Greg Williams D.We need to have great corners.
Mike Williams might still become a star himself one day. But he sure didn't look that great last year.
I think Gibbs and company have done a great job evaluating the roster and judging the talent they have brought in. :biggthump

shallyshal 02-15-2006 11:45 AM

[QUOTE=Skins_4_Lyfe]I think that our best bet would be to avoid drafting a WR with pick #53 in the draft. Unless we can trade up I don't see this being a good idea, I'm not impressed with the WR class this year. [b]We should draft [url="http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/s/gregblue.html"]Greg Blue[/url] [/b]instead. This guy is like a Sean Taylor clone...he plays both safety positions and has more speed than most corners. Almost every negative thing thats said about him can easily be corrected and he (just like ST) has the heart of a linebacker.

We should seek bringing in either Randel El or Antonio Bryant and use a mid round pick to draft some size at the WR position. I am almost sure that the Skins won't upset; last year everyone thought we made a mistake by passing up on Mike Williams, and so far it seems like it was a wise move by going with Carlos. In recent years...first round WRs haven't worked out with us.

What are your thoughts....[/QUOTE]

totally agree. our success rate of drafting receivers is terrible.

better to use the 2 and 3 picks on def line and off line and pick up the wideout in free agency as you pointed out.

not sure about safety.. blue is solid but i think the bigger need is inthe lines.
clark is serviceable and if we wanted, we could try and sign a young free agent like mickell of the eagles or archuletta of the rams

shallyshal 02-15-2006 11:46 AM

[QUOTE=Riggo44]I'll admit at the time I wanted Williams. But I am glad we drafted Rogers instead. Rogers helped out a lot last year,and is only going to improve CB is a mandatory position in Greg Williams D.We need to have great corners.
Mike Williams might still become a star himself one day. But he sure didn't look that great last year.
I think Gibbs and company have done a great job evaluating the roster and judging the talent they have brought in. :biggthump[/QUOTE]

williams may not be a bust, but he sure was not impressive last year. rogers was far the better pick, i agree

Elfsdad 02-15-2006 11:47 AM

[font='Times New Roman']Rod Gardner, Michael Westbrook, Desmond Howard, Taylor Jacobs. The first three were major draft busts, and Jacobs (the 44th player chosen overall in the 2nd round of the 2003 draft) can be classified as a mini-bust. The Redskins have been snakebit when it comes to devoting a high draft pick to a wideout. They haven’t had a success in that area since they chose Art Monk in the first round of the 1980 draft. That is one long stretch of futility. Stick to free agency to pick up a second wide receiver and use those draft picks on other positions.[/font]

That Guy 02-15-2006 12:23 PM

[QUOTE=Elfsdad][font=Times New Roman]Rod Gardner, Michael Westbrook, Desmond Howard, Taylor Jacobs. The first three were major draft busts, and Jacobs (the 44th player chosen overall in the 2nd round of the 2003 draft) can be classified as a mini-bust. The Redskins have been snakebit when it comes to devoting a high draft pick to a wideout. They haven’t had a success in that area since they chose Art Monk in the first round of the 1980 draft. That is one long stretch of futility. Stick to free agency to pick up a second wide receiver and use those draft picks on other positions.[/font][/QUOTE]

welcome elfsdad, i agree, and please use bigger font ;)

I like blue, but i think the lines are more important and we're right in the area of starting quality guards too.

Sociofan 02-15-2006 12:26 PM

[QUOTE=Elfsdad][font=Times New Roman]Rod Gardner, Michael Westbrook, Desmond Howard, Taylor Jacobs. The first three were major draft busts, and Jacobs (the 44th player chosen overall in the 2nd round of the 2003 draft) can be classified as a mini-bust. The Redskins have been snakebit when it comes to devoting a high draft pick to a wideout. They haven’t had a success in that area since they chose Art Monk in the first round of the 1980 draft. That is one long stretch of futility. Stick to free agency to pick up a second wide receiver and use those draft picks on other positions.[/font][/QUOTE]

I agree. The last really great WR on our roster (Santana excluded) was Gary Clark(4 Pro Bowls between '85 and '91)--and he was an undrafted free agent.

SUNRA 02-15-2006 12:32 PM

Just wanted to echo your sentiments about drafting a WR. I agree that our best option is to pick up a free-agent instead of a rookie. Randle El would have been realistic if the Steelers loss the game, but I'm still confident about us getting Brandon Llloyd. He's big enough and has great hands. It's time to get a consistent and dependable 2# or 3# depending on Gibbs' confidence in Patten.

paulskinsfan 02-15-2006 12:34 PM

Id have to say that Jacobs is full blown bust, as opposed to a mini-bust. He blows.

onlydarksets 02-15-2006 12:43 PM

[QUOTE=paulskinsfan]Id have to say that Jacobs is full blown bust, as opposed to a mini-bust. He blows.[/QUOTE]

I think "mini" refers to his low draft position, not his accomplishments on the field. Nobody would argue he has done anything but blow.

diehardskin2982 02-15-2006 03:12 PM

I think Martin nance is the Wideout for us. His stock may drop considerablly because of a torn ACL in 2004. But he was the Main target for Big Ben at the University of Miami (OH). He is 6-5 210lbs and runs a 4.5 40. In 2003 before his injury he had 90 rec. for 1,498 yards and 11 touchdowns. He had 25 receptions for 337 yards and a touchdown in september before his injury in 2005. Many have him going late 2nd early third. If he is taught in the right system he can become a number 1 WR type player

skinsttw 02-15-2006 03:24 PM

nance would have to pass all his physicals-- kind of a big risk in a team with other big needs.

diehardskin2982 02-15-2006 03:30 PM

[QUOTE=skinsttw]nance would have to pass all his physicals-- kind of a big risk in a team with other big needs.[/QUOTE]

Because of his size and physicall talents I would risk a second or Third on this guy, he is going to be a star in this league

skin4Life28 02-15-2006 05:03 PM

I'd love to get Greg Blue. Me being a UGA fan as most know lol I'm biased. I've watched this kid his whole college career. Absolute force just like ST. He has pretty good speed and has very good hands. I definetly would not be dissapointed with that draft pick. But there are also more areas of need. I do feel that we shouldn't take a wideout with that pick. Guess we will jsut have to see come draft day.

diehardskin2982 02-15-2006 06:22 PM

I just talked to the foxsports fella and they think we could get nance in the third or 4rth. so hey maybe we could get a Greg blue, or Joe Klopfenstein and still get nance