Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Forget Drafting a WR!!! (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=11078)

Skins_4_Lyfe 02-15-2006 11:31 AM

Forget Drafting a WR!!!

I think that our best bet would be to avoid drafting a WR with pick #53 in the draft. Unless we can trade up I don't see this being a good idea, I'm not impressed with the WR class this year. [b]We should draft [url="http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/s/gregblue.html"]Greg Blue[/url] [/b]instead. This guy is like a Sean Taylor clone...he plays both safety positions and has more speed than most corners. Almost every negative thing thats said about him can easily be corrected and he (just like ST) has the heart of a linebacker.

We should seek bringing in either Randel El or Antonio Bryant and use a mid round pick to draft some size at the WR position. I am almost sure that the Skins won't upset; last year everyone thought we made a mistake by passing up on Mike Williams, and so far it seems like it was a wise move by going with Carlos. In recent years...first round WRs haven't worked out with us.

What are your thoughts....

Riggo44 02-15-2006 11:42 AM

Re: Forget Drafting a WR!!!

I'll admit at the time I wanted Williams. But I am glad we drafted Rogers instead. Rogers helped out a lot last year,and is only going to improve CB is a mandatory position in Greg Williams D.We need to have great corners.
Mike Williams might still become a star himself one day. But he sure didn't look that great last year.
I think Gibbs and company have done a great job evaluating the roster and judging the talent they have brought in. :biggthump

shallyshal 02-15-2006 11:45 AM

[QUOTE=Skins_4_Lyfe]I think that our best bet would be to avoid drafting a WR with pick #53 in the draft. Unless we can trade up I don't see this being a good idea, I'm not impressed with the WR class this year. [b]We should draft [url="http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/s/gregblue.html"]Greg Blue[/url] [/b]instead. This guy is like a Sean Taylor clone...he plays both safety positions and has more speed than most corners. Almost every negative thing thats said about him can easily be corrected and he (just like ST) has the heart of a linebacker.

We should seek bringing in either Randel El or Antonio Bryant and use a mid round pick to draft some size at the WR position. I am almost sure that the Skins won't upset; last year everyone thought we made a mistake by passing up on Mike Williams, and so far it seems like it was a wise move by going with Carlos. In recent years...first round WRs haven't worked out with us.

What are your thoughts....[/QUOTE]

totally agree. our success rate of drafting receivers is terrible.

better to use the 2 and 3 picks on def line and off line and pick up the wideout in free agency as you pointed out.

not sure about safety.. blue is solid but i think the bigger need is inthe lines.
clark is serviceable and if we wanted, we could try and sign a young free agent like mickell of the eagles or archuletta of the rams

shallyshal 02-15-2006 11:46 AM

[QUOTE=Riggo44]I'll admit at the time I wanted Williams. But I am glad we drafted Rogers instead. Rogers helped out a lot last year,and is only going to improve CB is a mandatory position in Greg Williams D.We need to have great corners.
Mike Williams might still become a star himself one day. But he sure didn't look that great last year.
I think Gibbs and company have done a great job evaluating the roster and judging the talent they have brought in. :biggthump[/QUOTE]

williams may not be a bust, but he sure was not impressive last year. rogers was far the better pick, i agree

Elfsdad 02-15-2006 11:47 AM

[font='Times New Roman']Rod Gardner, Michael Westbrook, Desmond Howard, Taylor Jacobs. The first three were major draft busts, and Jacobs (the 44th player chosen overall in the 2nd round of the 2003 draft) can be classified as a mini-bust. The Redskins have been snakebit when it comes to devoting a high draft pick to a wideout. They haven’t had a success in that area since they chose Art Monk in the first round of the 1980 draft. That is one long stretch of futility. Stick to free agency to pick up a second wide receiver and use those draft picks on other positions.[/font]

That Guy 02-15-2006 12:23 PM

[QUOTE=Elfsdad][font=Times New Roman]Rod Gardner, Michael Westbrook, Desmond Howard, Taylor Jacobs. The first three were major draft busts, and Jacobs (the 44th player chosen overall in the 2nd round of the 2003 draft) can be classified as a mini-bust. The Redskins have been snakebit when it comes to devoting a high draft pick to a wideout. They haven’t had a success in that area since they chose Art Monk in the first round of the 1980 draft. That is one long stretch of futility. Stick to free agency to pick up a second wide receiver and use those draft picks on other positions.[/font][/QUOTE]

welcome elfsdad, i agree, and please use bigger font ;)

I like blue, but i think the lines are more important and we're right in the area of starting quality guards too.

Sociofan 02-15-2006 12:26 PM

[QUOTE=Elfsdad][font=Times New Roman]Rod Gardner, Michael Westbrook, Desmond Howard, Taylor Jacobs. The first three were major draft busts, and Jacobs (the 44th player chosen overall in the 2nd round of the 2003 draft) can be classified as a mini-bust. The Redskins have been snakebit when it comes to devoting a high draft pick to a wideout. They haven’t had a success in that area since they chose Art Monk in the first round of the 1980 draft. That is one long stretch of futility. Stick to free agency to pick up a second wide receiver and use those draft picks on other positions.[/font][/QUOTE]

I agree. The last really great WR on our roster (Santana excluded) was Gary Clark(4 Pro Bowls between '85 and '91)--and he was an undrafted free agent.

SUNRA 02-15-2006 12:32 PM

Just wanted to echo your sentiments about drafting a WR. I agree that our best option is to pick up a free-agent instead of a rookie. Randle El would have been realistic if the Steelers loss the game, but I'm still confident about us getting Brandon Llloyd. He's big enough and has great hands. It's time to get a consistent and dependable 2# or 3# depending on Gibbs' confidence in Patten.

paulskinsfan 02-15-2006 12:34 PM

Id have to say that Jacobs is full blown bust, as opposed to a mini-bust. He blows.

onlydarksets 02-15-2006 12:43 PM

[QUOTE=paulskinsfan]Id have to say that Jacobs is full blown bust, as opposed to a mini-bust. He blows.[/QUOTE]

I think "mini" refers to his low draft position, not his accomplishments on the field. Nobody would argue he has done anything but blow.

diehardskin2982 02-15-2006 03:12 PM

I think Martin nance is the Wideout for us. His stock may drop considerablly because of a torn ACL in 2004. But he was the Main target for Big Ben at the University of Miami (OH). He is 6-5 210lbs and runs a 4.5 40. In 2003 before his injury he had 90 rec. for 1,498 yards and 11 touchdowns. He had 25 receptions for 337 yards and a touchdown in september before his injury in 2005. Many have him going late 2nd early third. If he is taught in the right system he can become a number 1 WR type player

skinsttw 02-15-2006 03:24 PM

nance would have to pass all his physicals-- kind of a big risk in a team with other big needs.

diehardskin2982 02-15-2006 03:30 PM

[QUOTE=skinsttw]nance would have to pass all his physicals-- kind of a big risk in a team with other big needs.[/QUOTE]

Because of his size and physicall talents I would risk a second or Third on this guy, he is going to be a star in this league

skin4Life28 02-15-2006 05:03 PM

I'd love to get Greg Blue. Me being a UGA fan as most know lol I'm biased. I've watched this kid his whole college career. Absolute force just like ST. He has pretty good speed and has very good hands. I definetly would not be dissapointed with that draft pick. But there are also more areas of need. I do feel that we shouldn't take a wideout with that pick. Guess we will jsut have to see come draft day.

diehardskin2982 02-15-2006 06:22 PM

I just talked to the foxsports fella and they think we could get nance in the third or 4rth. so hey maybe we could get a Greg blue, or Joe Klopfenstein and still get nance

bigm29 02-15-2006 06:24 PM

I still believe that David Patten can get the job done as our #2 reciever. He only had a half a season with us and we are all saying the cant be our #2. What im trying to say is that Wide Reciever is not our biggest need especially when we are this tight with money. I may be wrong but don't disappointed or surprised if we go with Patten again

shallyshal 02-15-2006 07:00 PM

[QUOTE=bigm29]I still believe that David Patten can get the job done as our #2 reciever. He only had a half a season with us and we are all saying the cant be our #2. What im trying to say is that Wide Reciever is not our biggest need especially when we are this tight with money. I may be wrong but don't disappointed or surprised if we go with Patten again[/QUOTE]

no, sir... he is fine at #3 but we will need a better number 2.. cannot go intonext year the same way we were this year. it won't happen

shallyshal 02-15-2006 07:01 PM

[QUOTE=Sociofan]I agree. The last really great WR on our roster (Santana excluded) was Gary Clark(4 Pro Bowls between '85 and '91)--and he was an undrafted free agent.[/QUOTE]

clark, sanders, and clarence verdin all came via the re entry draft for the usfl

shallyshal 02-15-2006 07:03 PM

[QUOTE=onlydarksets]I think "mini" refers to his low draft position, not his accomplishments on the field. Nobody would argue he has done anything but blow.[/QUOTE]

well.. for the 44th player inthe draft i would say he has achieved true bust status and not mini bust.
you could reserve that status for tydus winans-- a third round bust...lol

diehardskin2982 02-15-2006 07:10 PM

we need an upgrade for the second reciever because teams are going to focus more on Santana in the next season

SmootSmack 02-15-2006 07:37 PM

[QUOTE=shallyshal]well.. for the 44th player inthe draft i would say he has achieved true bust status and not mini bust.
you could reserve that status for tydus winans-- a third round bust...lol[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity I looked back on Winans' brief NFL career of three years (two with the Skins, one with the Bengals)

His numbers: 23 catches 421 yards 18.3 ypc 2 TDs, 1 carry for 5 yards

Meanwhile, TJ's first three years:
30 catches 315 yards 10.5 ypc 1 TD, 1 carry for -6 yards

Dirtbag59 02-15-2006 08:09 PM

Synder never ceases to amaze me. Trust me hes going to make a move that none of us never saw coming. Remember how surpised you were when you read about the Coles trade. Or what about the dealing of Bailey for Portis. We can speculate all we want, but at this point I don't even think Synder knows what hes going to do. Yeah yeah Gibbs is the president and Dannys' trying to be hands off but remember, Synder convinced Gibbs to come back I'm pretty sure he can get him to buy into one his crazy acquistions.

By the way is Pearless Price available? I wouldn't mind getting him as a #2. Hell we were going to try to get him as a #1 the year we got Coles

offiss 02-15-2006 08:34 PM

I am becoming more and more impressed with Santana's little brother, I thought he was basically a real explosive athlete without much skill as a WR, but watching him late in the year, as well in the senior bowl he seems to have more skills than maybe he showed at miami, I really don't follow miami, is their QB subpar? Which may have held him back some?

SC Skins Fan 02-15-2006 08:47 PM

[QUOTE=offiss]I am becoming more and more impressed with Santana's little brother, I thought he was basically a real explosive athlete without much skill as a WR, but watching him late in the year, as well in the senior bowl he seems to have more skills than maybe he showed at miami, I really don't follow miami, is their QB subpar? Which may have held him back some?[/QUOTE]

I think their qb this year was questionable, wasn't he a freshmen? The Mock Drafts I have seen have him going at the end of the first round, though, and if he impresses at the combine next week he could probably cement 1st rd status. As far as Greg Blue is concerned, I really don't know anything about him beyond what has been posted here and what the draft site said, but if he is a "Sean Taylor clone" then that might not be what the Skins really need. Don't they need more of a Darren Sharper (i.e. true "centerfielder") to play next to Taylor so he can have more freedom to play in the box? I think CB might be a more pressing need, though. If I have to watch Walt Harris drop his head and whiff on another tackle (or get smoked by some no name Tampa Bay receiver) I am going to scream. Shawn Springs seems like he is always one play from having his hamstring explode too.

Sociofan 02-15-2006 09:49 PM

[QUOTE=shallyshal]clark, sanders, and clarence verdin all came via the re entry draft for the usfl[/QUOTE]

Damned good call. I'd forgotten about that. Sanders, though, was drafted by the Patriots in that expansion draft. The Skins took Verdin, Clark, and Tony Zendejas. Thanks for the historic reminder.

70Chip 02-16-2006 12:23 AM

[QUOTE=TAFKAS]Out of curiosity I looked back on Winans' brief NFL career of three years (two with the Skins, one with the Bengals)

His numbers: 23 catches 421 yards 18.3 ypc 2 TDs, 1 carry for 5 yards

Meanwhile, TJ's first three years:
30 catches 315 yards 10.5 ypc 1 TD, 1 carry for -6 yards[/QUOTE]

Tydus just needed better coaching. I turned him into a force on Madden 96. (I think it was 96. It was the last year I played on Genesis before switching to PS1.) Just hearing his name can induce PTS in any true Redskin fan.

That Guy 02-16-2006 03:45 AM

we had a shot at price and said no, and GW has had him before, so you figure he's the one that shot it down.

I honestly think for immediate impact S moss is the way to go, but we're not trading up into the 1st to take him, and S holmes (the better long term propect because he has more potential to be a true #1, but less likelyhood of a huge first year (no NFL brother, didn't play at the U etc) will be gone in the top 10-15.

I'd grab an FA or two and then see if anyone like orr or hass falls... the best undrafted WR will be DQ at 6'6" and 4.5 an definately worth taking. The olympic skier guy missed 2 years of college due to having skiing endorsements (and the moronic NCAA), but he runs a 4.3 and is a projected 3rd-4th round pick too.

I think denver may have had it right... the draft is a crapshoot, so spray and pray. they needed a dlineman, so they brought in 3-4 (FA) and they needed a corner, so they took 3-4 as well. odd are one will work out.

dmek25 02-16-2006 07:55 AM

patten will be back(i doubt that the skins spend more money on wr)and we need a pass rusher in the worst way.the key to good secondary play is pressure on the quarterback.when is the last time the skins had a good pass rusher?ken harvey?

Skins_4_Lyfe 02-16-2006 10:44 AM

[QUOTE=dmek25]patten will be back(i doubt that the skins spend more money on wr)and we need a pass rusher in the worst way.the key to good secondary play is pressure on the quarterback.when is the last time the skins had a good pass rusher?ken harvey?[/QUOTE]

His name is Lavar Arrington

dmek25 02-16-2006 11:26 AM

you cant be a good pass rusher if you dont play on third down

diehardskin2982 02-16-2006 12:33 PM

LaVar should be fully healed from injury this year and will be a force on the defense next season

70Chip 02-16-2006 02:51 PM

[QUOTE=dmek25]you cant be a good pass rusher if you dont play on third down[/QUOTE]

You can't be a good pass rusher if you are 20 lbs fat and run like Peggy Bundy.

Skins_4_Lyfe 02-17-2006 03:25 PM

[QUOTE=dmek25]you cant be a good pass rusher if you dont play on third down[/QUOTE]
You said "when is the last time we had a good pass rusher"...Lavar has fallen over the last 2 seasons. I think the injury is to blame...this is a guy who never really had to deal with a serious injury until then and I'm guessing he didn't know how to handle it...not being able to play for such a long period of time and returning in the worse shape of his career.

That Guy 02-17-2006 05:22 PM

daniels might be good this year... he came on at the end and he wasn't in shape either... of course he got a free sack on mcnabb and 4 against a terrible OT from dallas, but who knows...

Skins_4_Lyfe 02-18-2006 07:13 PM

How about Robert Mathis...He's smaller than Sean Taylor, but he still finds ways to get off the line and into the backfield. Which makes me wonder why we never put Lavar on the line...I mean it would not hurt us if Wynn weren't on the feild for a few snaps...He started every game last year and has half a sack to show for it. I believe Lavar had a career high 11 sacks when we had Marvin Lewis, who often lined him up at DE.

That Guy 02-18-2006 08:50 PM

[QUOTE=Skins_4_Lyfe]How about Robert Mathis...He's smaller than Sean Taylor, but he still finds ways to get off the line and into the backfield. Which makes me wonder why we never put Lavar on the line...I mean it would not hurt us if Wynn weren't on the feild for a few snaps...He started every game last year and has half a sack to show for it. I believe Lavar had a career high 11 sacks when we had Marvin Lewis, who often lined him up at DE.[/QUOTE]

if you're asking why we don't sign mathis, its cause he'll be too expensive. If you want to know why lavar isn't out there i don't know either ;) he was hurt though and was obviously slower, and smaller guys have to have lots of speed. That's the best reason i can come up with.