Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   If the extension to the CBA can't get done, then what? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=11152)

Paintrain 03-02-2006 11:51 AM

Can we cut enough salary to still vie for free agents?

I wasn't sure what thread this would fold into so mods if you have somewhere else to send it to, feel free..

With the cap at 94.5 million and restructuring happening left and right, is there a conceiveable scenario where we can gain enough cap room to get maybe one WR and a K or DE? I know we won't be able to 'shop' but where do we need to get to cap wise to plug some holes?

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 03-02-2006 11:57 AM

Re: Can we cut enough salary to still vie for free agents?

[QUOTE=Paintrain]I wasn't sure what thread this would fold into so mods if you have somewhere else to send it to, feel free..

With the cap at 94.5 million and restructuring happening left and right, is there a conceiveable scenario where we can gain enough cap room to get maybe one WR and a K or DE? I know we won't be able to 'shop' but where do we need to get to cap wise to plug some holes?[/QUOTE]

I moved it here (obviously). The only free agents we will be able to sign are rookie free agents or young guys willing to accept the veteran minimum.

JoeRedskin 03-02-2006 01:46 PM

Re: If the extension to the CBA can't get done, then what?

Wasn't sure which of the CBA/Doomsday threads to put this under, so here goes:

An assumption with any list of players being cut is that they will not restructure in a way that gives back real money. I suggest, and I may well be wrong, that this is not a fair assumption.

Of the list of salary cap cuts how many of these players would expect to make the kind of money that they are entitled to under their current contracts in the upcoming free agency market? We have already seen several (albeit over 30) big name cuts, starters. Given the likely glut of players and paucity of teams able to pay more than minimum, isn't it possible that some of the Skins might be willing to take real cuts to ensure a salary greater than bare minimum? Especially since the salary can be reinflated after this year? If, as I assume he has, Gibbs has recruited and signed "team" guys, isn't it possible they realize that their best bet for both short term and long term personal financial and team success is to find a way to weather 06 with the skins and trust that Snyder's money will be loosed in 07 and beyond?

I honestly don't know which of the players this would affect most, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is in the works right now over at Redskins Park.

Guess will find out tonight!

randy1221 03-02-2006 01:57 PM

Sounds like the extension went down in flames. How many big name players are we going to have to cut?

That Guy 03-02-2006 02:01 PM

Re: Can we cut enough salary to still vie for free agents?

[QUOTE=Paintrain]I wasn't sure what thread this would fold into so mods if you have somewhere else to send it to, feel free..

With the cap at 94.5 million and restructuring happening left and right, is there a conceiveable scenario where we can gain enough cap room to get maybe one WR and a K or DE? I know we won't be able to 'shop' but where do we need to get to cap wise to plug some holes?[/QUOTE]

only if we draft them or they're 1st/2nd year guys at vet min... outsisde that i really can't see it. Right now our kicker for 2006 is going to be tyler jones. he wears the #2 jersey and i know nothing else about him.

Monksdown 03-02-2006 02:03 PM

[QUOTE=randy1221]Sounds like the extension went down in flames. How many big name players are we going to have to cut?[/QUOTE]

I think we will be losing most of our quality depth. We will be very young behind the starters. Atleast we still have Lavar, , , blaaahhh!,, , , oh sorry, i just threw up again.

That Guy 03-02-2006 02:04 PM

[QUOTE=JoeRedskin]Wasn't sure which of the CBA/Doomsday threads to put this under, so here goes:

An assumption with any list of players being cut is that they will not restructure in a way that gives back real money. I suggest, and I may well be wrong, that this is not a fair assumption.

Of the list of salary cap cuts how many of these players would expect to make the kind of money that they are entitled to under their current contracts in the upcoming free agency market? We have already seen several (albeit over 30) big name cuts, starters. Given the likely glut of players and paucity of teams able to pay more than minimum, isn't it possible that some of the Skins might be willing to take real cuts to ensure a salary greater than bare minimum? Especially since the salary can be reinflated after this year? If, as I assume he has, Gibbs has recruited and signed "team" guys, isn't it possible they realize that their best bet for both short term and long term personal financial and team success is to find a way to weather 06 with the skins and trust that Snyder's money will be loosed in 07 and beyond?

I honestly don't know which of the players this would affect most, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is in the works right now over at Redskins Park.

Guess will find out tonight![/QUOTE]

the cut/keep list and the 34 rookies stuff comes with the assumption of no restructures right on the face of it. every restructure adds more keepers.

its easier to add people to a keep lists right now instead of making a cut list, because right now only 1.8mill of brunell's rework is known. we know others like portis have helped too, but without dollar figures, its impossible to make any real predictions.

We'll probably stay as close to the cap as we can, and after the draft start firing vet min guys as needed to make room for drafteess and undrafted rookies.

That Guy 03-02-2006 02:06 PM

[QUOTE=randy1221]Sounds like the extension went down in flames. How many big name players are we going to have to cut?[/QUOTE]

depends entirely on the restructure figures. all but 13 with no restructures (which we know some players are helping). We'll get a definitive cut list tonight before we'll get all the restructure numbers, so the best (and only) advice right now iss wait and see.

D'BOYZ 03-02-2006 02:22 PM

This really sucks I was looking for a verry competitive tough season let's see how they handdle it but it doesn't look good, we're in a good shape we just cut glover we'll be around 10 mill under the cap so we would get stronger. lets hope no blockbuster deals we might get screwed in the future