Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ramsey to the Jets Nearly Done (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=11371)

Paintrain 03-10-2006 07:54 AM

Ramsey to the Jets Nearly Done

[quote=Today's NY Daily News]March 10, 2006 -- The Jets, hell-bent on repairing their crippled quarterback situation, are acting quickly on Patrick Ramsey - so quickly that the former No. 1 draft pick out of Tulane could join Chad Pennington and Co. within days.

Two sources familiar with the goings on between the Jets and Redskins, told The Post last night that the Jets and Jimmy Sexton, the agent for the Washington backup quarterback, have been actively working on the parameters for a trade that would bring Ramsey to New York.

Word is the Jets would give the Redskins a fifth-round draft pick in next month's NFL draft as well as a possible conditional pick in the 2007 draft, depending on how much and how well Ramsey plays.

That pick, according to one of the sources, could be as high as a third-round pick should Ramsey start a certain number of games and perform to a certain level.

Ramsey, who has one year left on his contract worth $1.69 million, is Redskins' property, but they have no interest in retaining him. Washington initially had been seeking a second-round pick for him before realizing it had little leverage.

Initial reports had Ramsey, who was given permission by the Redskins to reach out to other teams and seek a trade, also visiting Detroit and Miami, but the sources said there are no plans for any other visits at the moment, further indicating that he's close to consummating a deal with the Jets.

Ramsey, 27, has been underwhelming in his NFL career, twice losing his starting job in Washington and compiling a 10-14 record as a starter. He's completed 480 of 861 passes for 5,649 yards with 34 TDs, 29 INTs and a 75.0 rating.

[b]When asked about Ramsey, one highly placed NFC GM told The Post he didn't think Ramsey would be a good fit in New York.

"I hope he doesn't go there," the GM said. "He's a great kid, but he wants to please so much that when he doesn't it really bothers him. He doesn't have the temperament to play there. You've got to be thick-skinned to play in New York. He'll be eaten [alive] up there." [/b][/quote]

It'd be nice to get a pick this year and another in '07 for him.. Wish him great success in NY, especially if it leads to a better pick down the line!

56FAN 03-10-2006 08:01 AM

Re: Ramsey to the Jets Nearly Done

If a 5th is all you can get, keep him. a 5th rounder is a give away pick.

12thMan 03-10-2006 08:08 AM

Don't discount the conditional pick though. If Ramsey steps up, the pot get's sweeter.

MTK 03-10-2006 08:13 AM

A 5th and a possible 3rd... I'll take it.

Peace out PR.

Schneed10 03-10-2006 08:16 AM

[QUOTE=56FAN]If a 5th is all you can get, keep him. a 5th rounder is a give away pick.[/QUOTE]

Disagreed. You don't keep players that don't want to be Redskins. You honor their wishes because A) it sends a message to the rest of the team that you will be treated with respect by the coaching staff/front office and B) it helps keep the locker room free of malcontents (not that Ramsey would bitch and moan, but it's one less elephant in the middle of the locker room).

I think you take what you can get, and a 5th rounder and a conditional pick next year is fair enough for me.

I think since Skins seem to be stockpiling picks in the later rounds, they're going to have some trade ammo to slide up in the draft when they see a player they really like. Especially once we add any compensatory picks for Smoot & Pierce.

MTK 03-10-2006 08:22 AM

[QUOTE=Schneed10]Disagreed. You don't keep players that don't want to be Redskins. You honor their wishes because A) it sends a message to the rest of the team that you will be treated with respect by the coaching staff/front office and B) it helps keep the locker room free of malcontents (not that Ramsey would bitch and moan, but it's one less elephant in the middle of the locker room).

I think you take what you can get, and a 5th rounder and a conditional pick next year is fair enough for me.

I think since Skins seem to be stockpiling picks in the later rounds, they're going to have some trade ammo to slide up in the draft when they see a player they really like. Especially once we add any compensatory picks for Smoot & Pierce.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

People are seriously high if they think we can get a 2nd or even a 3rd round pick for him.

Teams have known since Gibbs came back that Ramsey's time in D.C. was limited. Trades are a tough thing in the NFL and teams rarely get fair value because they know if they wait, that player will likely hit the waiver wire.

At this point you cut your losses and move on. Please don't mention that the Dolphins gave up a 2nd rounder for Feeley, because that was an exception to the rule. Just because the Dolphins made a retarded move doesn't mean the rest of the league is lining up to make a similar mistake.

PWNED 03-10-2006 08:28 AM

herschel walker anyone?

freddyg12 03-10-2006 08:36 AM

In recent years we've seen some great players traded for little. I thought the vikings let moss go for way too little. Especially when teams know he's only got a year left & he'll be released, & as Matty pointed out, they all know pr's time is limited here. Also, the market is flooded w/qb's now & pr isn't high on that list.
I was just hoping that if we could work out a deal, get abraham, but maybe his price is too high.

dgack 03-10-2006 08:36 AM

A 5th rounder and a conditional '07 pick are more than we'd get for Ramsey when we're forced to release him.

If he goes to the Jets and lights it up, it helps us and can't hurt us. If he goes to the Jets and stinks it up, we got more out of the deal than simply releasing him.

This is a win for the Skins.

Sammy Baugh Fan 03-10-2006 08:37 AM

Good luck PR.
The dewd did give his back to the team a couple years like a trooper.

Like mattyk said
peace out PR

ArtMonkDrillz 03-10-2006 09:06 AM

Who wants to buy my Ramsey and Coles jerseys? Looks like they're gonna be team mates again, could be fun. (damnit)

FRPLG 03-10-2006 09:09 AM

Take it and like it. He is not staying under just about any circumstance. Might as well take what you can get especially if there is a shot at a day one pick coming.

wilsowilso 03-10-2006 09:09 AM

What's with us and the New York Jets? I think Snyder has a "Bat Phone" at Redskins Park that has a direct line to the GM of the Jets. Well anyways after we came out way on top after the Moss and Coles trade I think we need to be nice to the Jets this year so we have to give up Ramsey for good value for them in my opinion. I really think he could be one of those QB's who gets better and better with age. Hope Ramsey kicks ass in the AFC!

Twilbert07 03-10-2006 09:10 AM

I like Patrick Ramsey, but he has yet to prove that he can win consistently in the NFL. I know he wasn't given much of a chance to do so last year (less than a quarter of play), but his time has come and gone in Ole D.C.

redsk1 03-10-2006 09:14 AM

A 5th rounder-take it. If he is not going to play and he's not, let's take it. Its time for JC to be the back up.