Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Tell Us About Your Playing Days (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=1142)

FRPLG 04-08-2009 02:27 PM

Re: Tell Us About Your Playing Days

I never played organized for dubious medical reasons. I think my parents were just scared to let me play. I was a little small but I think I would have been a half decent rec league player. I resent my a parent's little for not letting me play. Plus I came from a baseball town so I played that into high school.

Now as far as pickup I have played a ton since about 4th grade. I have no idea why I wasn't allowed to play organized ball where we had pads and rules but it was fine for me to play backyard football where we basically just tried to kill each other.

My best moments mostly came from freshmen year in college. We had a bunch of organized teams based on our dorm halls in the dorm area where I lived. Our floor started the idea and we took on any comers. Most of the teams had decent talent. we went 14-15 deep and every team had at least 5-6 guys who had played varsity in high scool. I played mostly slot and a little half back on offense. On defense I played nickleback, which meant I played every down since teams always ran 3 wides. My best moment came on a corner blitz that I called covering the outside WR on the weak side. I hand signaled(behind my back) our free safety to press the WR and on the snap I took off for the QB totally free. I absolulety destroyed the poor guy who was somewhat bigger than me. I hit him as he went to throw, he never saw it coming and the ball popped up in the air where our RA playing DE caught it returned it for a TD. It was the kind of hit I KNOW the guy remembers. It was one of the stories we talked about in college a lot. Most of our good stories were about freshmen year football, flag football or being drunk.

firstdown 04-08-2009 02:37 PM

Played ever sense I could play all the way through my freshmen year in HS. My freshmen year I played end but it was 99.9% as a blocker and only had one pass come my way and thats the funny part. Finally with a few minutes left in a game the coach called my number to go out for a pass and catch the other team off guard. Well it worked and I took off up the field and was running as fast as I could (thats not very fast) when I see the ball flying my way. I reach out and pull in the pass and I get nailed. All I remember is the guys laughing getting me up a congratulating me on the TD. I then asked who the heck hit me and the guy looked over and said "Dumb a$$, you ran into the goal post".

MTK 04-08-2009 02:46 PM

Was that before they moved the goal posts back?

firstdown 04-08-2009 05:15 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;544207]Was that before they moved the goal posts back?[/quote]
No I'm not that old but it was about 3 feet out of the end zone and was unpadded. I was just so pumped to finally have a pass come my way I did not see it. I guess that why a missed the naked bear doing the moon walk yesterday.

tryfuhl 04-08-2009 11:23 PM

I started the first year I was eligible, first grade, no clue what I was doing, getting creamed all of the time. From second through 4th grade I was offensive and defensive lineman of the year each year. Fifth and sixth grade we had moved and I didn't really get to play. Came back and played 7th grade, mostly on line again but linebacker as well, unfortunately after being gone 2 years I was a lil rusty at the beginning and didn't get a chance to start, though looking back I definitely should've at least after the first game or two.

Had a really messed up home and couldn't play in HS at all, after showing up to practice everyday of 8th grade with a broken ankle, determined to learn the new offense. Oh well.

I did get to wrestle in HS though and was all-state

The Goat 04-09-2009 12:08 AM

[quote=RobH4413;544187]Oh wow... Like this thread.

I had a pretty sweet opportunity given to me when I was in high school. I went to St. John's @ Prospect Hall in Frederick (now known as St. John's Catholic Prep....gross) and we actually did not have a football program at all. My freshman and sophomore years were spent, gasp, on the golf team. I did not mind golf, just always felt football was in my blood.

At any rate, We all filled out these surveys on who would play football and suddenly by my junior year we had a team. Once two-a-days started I had no idea what position I would play. They bounced me around 7 different positions and finally settled on linebacker and tight end. Our first season we went 9-1 and got a lot of publicity. It was so much fun winning pretty meaningless games, and getting more press time than the local teams that have been doing it for years and years. I can still remember getting interviewed by the local sports news team and saying something dumb like "I love the smell of football" while all my friends were laughing behind the camera. Good times.

My senior year was just as good, if not better. We didn't win as many games, but the games finally had meaning. We were in a league, and the games mattered. We finished 7-3 I believe, and broke 13 Maryland state passing/receiving records (look them up... I'm sure some of them still hold).

The last game I played out of my mind. I was so pumped up for the crowd, and it was senior night, my last night under those lights... I don't know. Everything just clicked. That game I caught 10 passes for 190 yards and 3 touchdowns and led the team in tackles. It was silly. I ended up playing one year of football at Catholic University, and then transferred out to never play again. Although... I think I'll probably try our for the Skins this season....[/quote]

Nice story RobH...especially the part about your last game.

My football days were the epitome of disappointment LOL. Basically I "looked" like the super athletic type and got a lot of my strength young. Played RB/FB and MLB through grade school. Started to get a lot of attention from high school coaches. Freshmen year was same story. Sophomore year I started pulling muscles like crazy...hammy, groin, quad and missed weeks and weeks. That lasted all the way through HS...I mean every freakin season. Never got enough reps to really become a student of the game and basically was just good for a big hit here and there. HS coaches were obviously irritated/pissed that I couldn't contribute while I benched more than all but one of our lineman (about 260 then), squatted way more than that when healthy and overall just had a ton of strength. It got to the point I was bitter and started taking it out on some the smart-asses during practice...just pummeled guys who I thought had it coming.

A few years after HS graduation one of my classmates dad's made the comment I was well known as the hardest hitter on the team...during practice LOL. On gameday I was a dud.

GMScud 04-09-2009 12:14 AM

[quote=RobH4413;544187]Oh wow... Like this thread.

I had a pretty sweet opportunity given to me when I was in high school. I went to St. John's @ Prospect Hall in Frederick (now known as St. John's Catholic Prep....gross) and we actually did not have a football program at all. My freshman and sophomore years were spent, gasp, on the golf team. I did not mind golf, just always felt football was in my blood.

At any rate, We all filled out these surveys on who would play football and suddenly by my junior year we had a team. Once two-a-days started I had no idea what position I would play. They bounced me around 7 different positions and finally settled on linebacker and tight end. Our first season we went 9-1 and got a lot of publicity. It was so much fun winning pretty meaningless games, and getting more press time than the local teams that have been doing it for years and years. I can still remember getting interviewed by the local sports news team and saying something dumb like "I love the smell of football" while all my friends were laughing behind the camera. Good times.

My senior year was just as good, if not better. We didn't win as many games, but the games finally had meaning. We were in a league, and the games mattered. We finished 7-3 I believe, and broke 13 Maryland state passing/receiving records (look them up... I'm sure some of them still hold).

The last game I played out of my mind. I was so pumped up for the crowd, and it was senior night, my last night under those lights... I don't know. Everything just clicked. That game I caught 10 passes for 190 yards and 3 touchdowns and led the team in tackles. It was silly. I ended up playing one year of football at Catholic University, and then transferred out to never play again. Although... I think I'll probably try our for the Skins this season....[/quote]

Rob, any idea where you can find the Maryland high school state records online? My boy Marcus Mason (went to my alma mater Georgetown Prep, however I was a bit older and never played with him) holds several of the rushing records and I'd love to see the record book. I'm sure you'd be in there too. Anyway, if you've got a link, or if anyone does, post it!

SmootSmack 04-09-2009 07:36 AM

I think in the past I've mentioned another one of my crowning moments...getting leveled by Shawn Springs in a high school scrimmage game. Never saw him coming.

CRedskinsRule 04-09-2009 08:12 AM

[quote=GMScud;544334]Rob, any idea where you can find the Maryland high school state records online? My boy Marcus Mason (went to my alma mater Georgetown Prep, however I was a bit older and never played with him) holds several of the rushing records and I'd love to see the record book. I'm sure you'd be in there too. Anyway, if you've got a link, or if anyone does, post it![/quote]
here, but it looks like it ends around 2003...
[url=http://users.erols.com/sshlr/index.html]Shealer Sports[/url]

Slingin Sammy 33 04-09-2009 05:24 PM

Played TE in HS Soph & Senior years. Nothing to write home about. In the AF in Japan QB'd our base team for two years, we won the Kanto Plain championship in '87. In '88 we scrimmaged one Japanese team, surprisingly big, but they didn't understand the game. Threw two passes, both for TDs (I audibled to those plays) and got yanked by the coach. He didn't want to embarrass them. He was right, pretty dumb move by me, I was 21 and pretty full of myself.

Played 8-man full contact at Ft. Meade in '89, lost in championship in 6 inches of snow on Thanksgiving. After getting out of the AF, played a bunch of flag in Fairfax County, won in '96. Played semi-pro for a year with the Herndon Monarchs, got tired of coming to practice with 20 guys and 50 show up on game day who didn't know what the F was going on.

Moved to VA Beach and played flag, went to the state tournament a few years. Moved to OL when I couldn't make throws I used to. Won the City championship in '03 and retired with that and an OL MVP award.

Got more involved in coaching youth football with my son's team. We took a team from an area that was previously a joke (0 for about 3 seasons) and went to the City 125lb B Division championship and lost. That was a really good year and team. Next year my son was QB and played well, we were .500, but great year to see my son play well and have fun. QB coach at a local high school for JV for a couple of years and helped call the offense, we were 12 - 0 (JV only plays 6 games per year). Coached at Landstown (post-Percy Harvin) for a year RB coach (keep an eye out for Sterling Phifer - RB going to BC this fall) and JV HC, but family / business issues have crept up and kept me out of coaching last year and probably will this year too. Hopefully I'll get back into it within another year or two.

SmootSmack 04-09-2009 06:03 PM

I had a bit of a diva moment (on more than one occasion actually) during a playoff game in 7th grade.

I was getting no touches on offense. I was basically running around as a decoy the whole game (no carries, no receptions, nothing).

Meanwhile, one of my teammates-who I always thought was a bit too arrogant-had seven...7...touchdowns. To his credit, he was dynamite that game. Just ridiculous.

Anyhow, in spite of his 7 TDs the game still went in OT tied at 49. He had returned a punt to tie the game at 49 late in the 4th quarter and everyone was jumping up and down excited...but not me.

I was pissed. Then I started yelling at my teammates. Remember I was only like 12 years old. "Hey, there are other people on this team too! Why don't we celebrate some of the damn blocking" Then when we won the coin toss and got the ball to start OT, the first thing I said in the huddle "I'm going to be in the end zone, if you want to win this game throw me the ball" and then I just left the huddle. And the QB did...and we won!

I had a bit of a flair for the dramatic in some of the sports I played as a kid (hockey, football, basketball). I could go an entire game without doing jack shit, and suddenly hit the 3 pointer, score the goal, or catch the TD or whatever to win the game. So my buddies put up with my antics because of that. But I could be a real pain if/when I started sulking.

Slingin Sammy 33 04-09-2009 07:47 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;544543]Then when we won the coin toss and got the ball to start OT, the first thing I said in the huddle "I'm going to be in the end zone, if you want to win this game throw me the ball" and then I just left the huddle. And the QB did...and we won![/quote]
Didn't you just move to Buffalo LOL

SmootSmack 04-09-2009 09:13 PM

[quote=Slingin Sammy 33;544548]Didn't you just move to Buffalo LOL[/quote]

LOL...I didn't have 25 million reasons back in those days though

RMSkins 04-13-2009 08:10 PM

I Started playing organized football when I was 5 years old and played through my Senior year. I started at MLB for the mighty Cedar Cliff Colts, the same school that produced future NFL players Kyle Brady and Coy Wire. My shining moment in football was my Sophmore year when I made the final tackle to complete a goal line stand. Oh, I forgot to mention, the runningback that I tackled was none other than LeSean "Shady" McCoy, who was a Senior for Bishop McDevitt High School at the time.

skinsfan69 04-14-2009 12:05 AM

Played QB at Gaithersburg HS from 86-88 and played QB all through middle school and pee wee. I'm proud to say I played against Ritchie Anderson. Thank god we both played offense cause he was simply unstopable and could not be tackled. I think he ran for like 270 yards against us but we still won the game and I still have the article from Gaithersburg Gazette in my scrapbook. He played across town at Sherwood HS.