Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Redskins Uninterested in Free Agent Kickers and Punters (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=11626)

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 03-17-2006 01:39 AM

Redskins Uninterested in Free Agent Kickers and Punters

Gibbs said the team is not in the market for a kicker or punter, with veteran kicker John Hall recovered from another injury-plagued season and young punter Derrick Frost showing enough promise to remain in Washington. Gibbs said Frost may handle kickoff duties to relieve the strain on Hall's leg. (Look at the bottom of this article [URL=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/16/AR2006031601802.html]Redskins Notebook[/URL] )

What do people think of these "non-moves?"

Portis26Fan 03-17-2006 01:47 AM

Re: Redskins Uninterested in Free Agent Kickers and Punters

i would have loved 2 get, vanderjagt, or adam vinateri.. but j hall aint bad.

That Guy 03-17-2006 01:48 AM

ghey. Halls injuries are now recurring, its not a 1-off thing, he missed HUGE amounts of time two years running. Frost is terrible... out of 32 punters, he's in the low 20s.

I guess they think hall is healthy for good this time and frost will get better, but you can get undrafted guys that punt better than him.

Portis26Fan 03-17-2006 01:52 AM

yeah i think the team, needs 2 do something about frost. his punting this past year was not impresive at all!!!

Huddle 03-17-2006 04:24 AM

As agressive as the Skins have been in free agency, I was disappointed that we didn't go after Ryan Longwell. With all the close games in the NFL, the PK has become more valuable.

I've read that there aren't any standouts in the draft this year. So, I guess we hope that Hall comes back stronger.

And Frost was barely adequate last season. Are there no outstanding punters in the draft either?

shallyshal 03-17-2006 04:24 AM

i think having frost kick off would be key.. it would spare hall from the temptation of making tackles and getting hurt and take some strain off his leg.
if healthy, and that is the key, hall is a fine kicker.
maybe they feel frost has passed the point of jitters and shanks.. i am not so sure, but have to defer to the FO on this one. for certain, i do not want another rookie punter

That Guy 03-17-2006 05:58 AM

[QUOTE=Huddle]As agressive as the Skins have been in free agency, I was disappointed that we didn't go after Ryan Longwell. With all the close games in the NFL, the PK has become more valuable.

I've read that there aren't any standouts in the draft this year. So, I guess we hope that Hall comes back stronger.

And Frost was barely adequate last season. Are there no outstanding punters in the draft either?[/QUOTE]

torp plack and koch could all be better punters, and theres 2-3 more good ones next year. no good kickers this year, a good and an amazing one next year though.

at the combine none of the invited punters looked good. koch was #2 in ncaa in distance (plack was #1) and top 5 in net distance (punt - return), yet was not invited to the combine. he did drills at his pro day, but those drills aren't streamed on nfl.com or written about in depth, so i have no clue how that went for him.

Luxorreb 03-17-2006 06:13 AM

No need to look at K and P when they weren't responsible for playoff shortcomings!

mooby 03-17-2006 06:28 AM

hopefully we bring in some undrafted kickers and punters in during training camp to compete with j. hall and frost for the starting job. frost consistently kicked 30 yarders in key moments in the game, and i'm definitely not sure that his kickoffs will even reach the 20 yard line.

RedskinPete 03-17-2006 06:31 AM

[QUOTE=Luxorreb]No need to look at K and P when they weren't responsible for playoff shortcomings![/QUOTE]

Not only that we had a washed up center and a 40 something guard as our back up on the OL!!! Brown did a fair job but when he went down in the Seattle game we were in big trouble. Raymer was so bad and even more funny was watching him get his ass kicked and looked completly lost working in Browns place at Right guard! I don't think we can be as lucky another season with out two good back ups!

That Guy 03-17-2006 08:12 AM

tyler jones is hall's competition, he was with chicago, but got cut in preseason. now he's in NFLE as a skin. He's a nobody.

#56fanatic 03-17-2006 08:16 AM

IF(big IF) hall is healthy, he can be a pretty damn good kicker. Why we are cursed with kickers getting injured I have no idea, but if hes healthy we will be ok in that department. the only think I worry about is that Frost idiot. He is absolutely awful. The only reason he is in the low 20's instead of the 30's in terms of punting stats is because our offense would stall around midfield and he didn't have to kick it by 30 yards. You look when he punts from our 20 or 30, teams are getting bacll around midfield. that is pretty damn bad.

MTK 03-17-2006 08:19 AM

Frost did show some improvement late in the season, perhaps enough to show some promise for this staff??

I think we'll wait to see what hits the wire as we get closer to the season.

#56fanatic 03-17-2006 08:29 AM

did Tupa retire?

PWNED 03-17-2006 08:35 AM

theyre actually thinking that frost can kick further than hall.