Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Outside LB (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=11801)

SKINFANFOLIFE 03-27-2006 07:58 PM

Outside LB

With most of the free agents that have starting capability gone already are we really looking more and more of drafting a starting outside LB. Any insights on this. I hope that isn't the route we go. We need experience.

GTripp0012 03-27-2006 08:26 PM

Re: Outside LB

I think they pretty much backed themselves into a corner. It's the one weakness on the roster, but they can go OLB or ILB because of Marshall's versatility.

NoviSkins 03-27-2006 08:42 PM

Q&A With Dale Lindsey Premium Story
Lindsey talks with Marcus Washington
Lindsey talks with Marcus Washington

By: Scout.com

Date: Mar 25, 2006

The Redskins’ linebacker coach talks about Chris Clemons, Warrick Holdman and being honest.

Q: Could Chris Clemons be a top consideration at weakside linebacker?
A: He could be. Nothing’s been settled so he has a chance. He made some really good strides last year at developing linebacker skills and the mentality it takes to play the position and to do the job. It just depends on what we do. He may get a chance to take over that position.

Q: Would you consider moving Lemar to the outside?
A: It only matters on getting the best player. I would be reluctant to move him initially, yes, because if we don’t get someone capable of playing that position right away, then I don’t think we would move Lemar. He grew into that position just like AP did the year before. When you start at that position, you make calls for everyone else and you still have to remember what you have to do. That’s a hell of a load. Lemar mastered it. So if we don’t get a guy that can get that done, we’d be crazy to take a guy who’s pretty damn good and the leading tackler and move him.

Q: Could the answer come from within?
A: It’s a possibility. There are some guys you never know about until you get a chance. We’ll experiment in the spring with all those guys who have been here to see if any can fit in that role.

Q: Is (Chris) Clemons intriguing?
A: Chris is intriguing because he is tall. He has reasonably good size and weight, which can help him. He’s extremely fast and has really good quickness. What he doesn’t have is a great deal of experience. The guy came out as a junior and probably shouldn’t have and he didn’t get anything out of his first year and nothing out of his second until we brought him back and even then he was used as a defensive end. This past spring and offseason in camp and during the year Chris, at least to me, picked up how to think as a linebacker, which I don’t think he did initially. We saw great talent in him, but you still have to know how to play the position. Sometimes that’s more important than having great talent. Great talent isn’t worth a damn if you don’t use it. Chris came and worked at it to become a better linebacker. Considering how things go in the free agent market or the draft, he would be one of the first people we’ll consider for that job, providing Warrick doesn’t come back or we don’t find someone we’re happy with.

Q: So Warrick (Holdman) is still in the plans? He didn’t seem to play the way you’d hoped he would last year.
A: Warrick did part of the time play like he was capable. He was disappointed in his play; I was disappointed because I know he’s better than that. If he does come back, he has to be better than last year. I’m hoping he hasn’t lost his confidence. I still think he has a couple good years left in him if he wants to get after it.

Q: What didn’t you see?
A: I thought some of the movements and reactions were not necessarily what I had remembered and had seen. Some of that had to with probably an uncertainty in his mind that he had not been there very long and it was a new system. We asked him to do things a different way and that throws everyone off.

Q: You could always wait for the draft; it’s deep at linebacker this year. Is that an option?
A: It’s that way every year, but that doesn’t mean you draft someone. They may be gone when you get there and there might be a better player at another position that you need. The draft doesn’t mean a damn thing until you draft a guy for me. The draft does look good; there are a few good prospects who probably bolster a team at that position. But they’re still rookies. That doesn’t mean they know how to play in the NFL. Carlos Rogers didn’t know how to play in the NFL, but he did by the end.

Q: You’re a very honest person.
A: If you’re not, you’re not doing a person justice. Honesty isn’t something you like to hear; I don’t want to hear it sometimes. But at least you know where you stand. The worst thing in the world is just not knowing. It’s not fair to a player to mislead him in any direction. I can be accused of not being tactful, but what the hell honesty is honesty. It doesn’t make a difference what I said. Bad news is bad news. Even if you sugarcoat it, it’s still f-in bad.

SKINFANFOLIFE 03-27-2006 08:53 PM

Maybe we should give Warrick another chance.

Pocket$ $traight 03-27-2006 10:14 PM

They have two linebackers playing safety and and the line is improved. All they need is a guy who makes a tackle when the ball is in his area.

Sociofan 03-27-2006 11:58 PM

Cato June is still out there. He had 5 picks with 2 TDs last season as well as 100+ tackles. He used to be a safety, so he's fast and has great ball reaction skills. Given, that makes him a bit small for a LB, but he had great numbers last year.

At the right price, I think he'd make a great prospect and could even prove to be a steal.

...or, we could just bring back Lavar.

RedskinPete 03-28-2006 12:29 AM

I still feel we need to find a free agent for this spot along with one more free agent OL. Then we could draft a CB or a LB with the 2nd pick. At this point we should beable to get another OL and the LB spot at a price that we can aford!

jdlea 03-28-2006 12:33 AM

If Cato June has any interest in being a Redskin, I hope we take a long look, assuming we could afford it. I love the way he plays the game and I think he'd be a huge addition to this team.

GTripp0012 03-28-2006 12:57 AM

[quote=Sociofan]Cato June is still out there. He had 5 picks with 2 TDs last season as well as 100+ tackles. He used to be a safety, so he's fast and has great ball reaction skills. Given, that makes him a bit small for a LB, but he had great numbers last year.

At the right price, I think he'd make a great prospect and could even prove to be a steal.

...or, we could just bring back Lavar.[/quote]

The right price is a first round pick. He's an RFA.

Big C 03-28-2006 01:05 AM

holdman isnt bad. he had a bad year last year. he would be cheap to re-sign, thats for sure. and our defense wasnt bad either when he started the first 5 games or so...

That Guy 03-28-2006 01:34 AM

i don't think we go after june cause of the whole nothing to trade thing.

keith adams, brandon short, holdman, promote from within, or draft a guy. that's about it on options.

Sociofan 03-28-2006 09:28 AM

[quote=GTripp0012]The right price is a first round pick. He's an RFA.[/quote]

Doesn't seem he's getting many offers. Deals can be worked at less than "standard price". No one wants a disgruntled player. I don't know what the story behind him is, but obviously he has not yet signed his tender.

MTK 03-28-2006 09:40 AM

If I were GW I would bring back Holdman hoping last year was just a fluke, and also hope that Clemons can earn more playing time. Some sort of platoon at the weak side wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

The draft is pretty deep at LB, but can a rookie LB come in and earn a starting job in this defense? Right off the bat I doubt it.

At least we have some options because of Marshall's versatility.

amorentz 03-28-2006 09:45 AM

[quote=SKINFANFOLIFE]Maybe we should give Warrick another chance.[/quote]

Im sorry, but I will never forget the scout.com article that was entitled (I believe) "What is more effective, Warrick Holdman or a Trash Can?" It was pretty hysterical and I think put me off of him for good!

amorentz 03-28-2006 09:51 AM

Haha, here is the article fellas...man this cracks me up...

[url]http://redskins.scout.com/2/460499.html[/url]