Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Draft News (4/5) (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=11973)

That Guy 04-05-2006 04:21 AM

Draft News (4/5)

[B]Jets | Team may not look to trade up[/B]
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 20:37:37 -0700

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports early word is that the New York Jets won't trade up to get USC QB Matt Leinart, and it's not out of the question for them to draft Virginia OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson over Leinart, if both are still on the board.

[B]Ravens | Team meets with V. Young[/B]
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 17:58:41 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Baltimore Ravens met with Texas QB Vince Young at their team headquarters Monday, April 3.

[B]
Ravens | Team continues to monitor McNair's situation[/B]
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 17:57:10 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Baltimore Ravens continue to monitor QB Steve McNair's situation with the Tennessee Titans. They have been tracking him his situation for a few weeks. In the wake of the news Monday, April 3, that the Titans have told McNair that he cannot work out at the club's facility until his sticky contract situation is resolved, the Ravens' interest has been further piqued. The Ravens have been seeking an alternative to starting QB Kyle Boller for much of the offseason.

[B]
NFL | Team telling White they will draft him[/B]
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 18:52:09 -0700

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports there are some behind-the-scenes talk of USC RB LenDale White not slipping in the NFL Draft as some stories have gone since his poor performance at his Pro Day workout Sunday, April 2. One team drafting in the 20s recently encouraged White not to run before the NFL Draft so it can pounce on him with its selection in the first round. Another team in the mid-teens already has told White it plans on drafting him.

[B]NFL | Free-agent market busy[/B]
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 20:34:31 -0700

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports so far 114 unrestricted NFL free agents had deals to move to different teams while 93 has re-signed with their old teams. Last year, there were 210 total deals throughout the entire season of free agency. Even after all of the wheeling and dealing, there is still $319 million of salary cap room left, roughly $10 million per team on average.

[B]Eagles | Team will host C. Chester
Ravens | Team will host C. Chester
Rams | Team will host C. Chester

[/B]Alright, so jets may be looking more towards LT regardless of who's there, which makes sense in the short term, since a rookie QB without an OL wouldn't win you many games in 2006 (and the coach is new and would probably like to win now to keep his job).

Ravens ARE finally looing for a QB... their obvious first choice is McNair should he come loose, but failing that, collins and apparently young are considered options. Scouting Young might just be due dilligence, however.

LenDale White may have refused to run based on team's tampering with him (and obviously he rather go to whatever winning team wants him instead of going to a loser without an OL).

C Chester is a C who can play G and TE. He's the fastest OL guy in this draft (4.83 40 @ 300lbs) and iss currently projected near the 3rd round.

GTripp0012 04-05-2006 07:34 AM

Re: Draft News (4/5)

04/05...The latest rumor circulating around the league is the Minnesota Vikings will acquire a young QB before the first round of the Draft is complete for the team to groom behind Brad Johnson and learn the west coast offense...the Vikings talked to the Falcons on Monday about the availability of Matt Schaub and the Falcon asking price is the Vikings first pick #17 overall in the upcoming Draft...from what we were told the Vikings will try to make a move up on Draft day for Vanderbilt QB Jay Cutler if he falls to a team that is willing to move down in the Draft...if the Vikings aren't able to move up they will stay put at #17 hoping that Cutler falls to them there...if Cutler is off the board when the Vikings go on the clock the team will give the Falcons a call and deal the pick for Matt Schaub...Vikings Coach Brad Childress wants a young QB in place when training camp starts to begin his development...the Vikings apparently aren't sold on any of the other QB's in this Draft that could be drafted in rounds 2 through 7.

[url]http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/2006Draft.html[/url]

This could be big news for someone who runs the Niners or Lions (in the NFL and the Mock). Trade possibilities may be there with teams interested in Cutler following them.

That Guy 04-06-2006 06:28 AM

4/5 -
[B]Falcons | Team looking to add depth[/B]
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 17:17:48 -0700

D. Orlando Ledbetter, of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports the Atlanta Falcons are focusing on adding overall team depth. The team started their meetings for the NFL Draft Monday, April 5. Falcons general manager Rich McKay said, "All of the evaluations are complete. The scouts are in this week and will be in again next week." The team's first draft choice is No. 47 overall after they traded their first-round draft choice for DL John Abraham. McKay added, "We'll bring in a bunch of prospects next week. Probably 20 to 22 guys that we recruit or talk to, or guys that we view as potential free agents if they don't get drafted."

FRPLG 04-06-2006 08:10 AM

So all of a sudden Schaub is the next freaking Joe Montana?!?! Surprised we haven't traded Portis for him.

All I can say is that I still remember when Schaub first won the UVa job and blew hard chunks. Not like he was young and inexperienced and simply did poorly. No, he looked like he had nothing at all and never would. What a difference 2 or 3 inches makes.

That Guy 04-06-2006 09:03 AM

[quote=FRPLG]So all of a sudden Schaub is the next freaking Joe Montana?!?! Surprised we haven't traded Portis for him.

All I can say is that I still remember when Schaub first won the UVa job and blew hard chunks. Not like he was young and inexperienced and simply did poorly. No, he looked like he had nothing at all and never would. What a difference 2 or 3 inches makes.[/quote]

apparently in the NFL, the less a QB plays, the more he's worth...

That Guy 04-08-2006 05:05 PM

[B]Eagles | Team trying to trade up in the NFL Draft?[/B]
Sat, 8 Apr 2006 13:39:08 -0700

Mark Eckel, writing for the Sporting News, reports the Philadelphia Eagles appear to be leaning to trading up in the NFL Draft. They currently sit in the No. 14 position. Their target appears to be Oregon DT Haloti Ngata. The 6-4, 340-pound Ngata would give the team a run-stuffing presence in the middle of the defensive line and could be a perfect complement to DT Mike Patterson.

too late for this draft, but interesting.

That Guy 04-09-2006 07:27 AM

[B]Vikings | No go with Schaub trade[/B]
Sat, 8 Apr 2006 20:36:47 -0700

Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings were turned down in their most recent offer for Atlanta Falcons backup QB Matt Schaub, and they appear on track to draft their quarterback of the future later this month. The Vikings reportedly offered Atlanta one of their two second-round picks for Schaub, but the Falcons have insisted on getting a first-round pick for Schaub. The Vikings have been unwilling to part with their first-round selection, No. 17 overall, to get him.

dmek25 04-09-2006 07:34 AM

how in the hell is schaub worth a first round pick?

GTripp0012 04-10-2006 08:13 PM

[B]Redskins | Team to have pre-draft visit with Montgomery[/B]
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:37:21 -0700

Joe Palumbo has confirmed to KFFL Minnesota DT Anthony Montgomery will have a pre-draft visit with the Washington Redskins next week.

Beemnseven 04-10-2006 09:10 PM

[QUOTE=GTripp0012][B]Redskins | Team to have pre-draft visit with Montgomery[/B]
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:37:21 -0700

Joe Palumbo has confirmed to KFFL Minnesota DT Anthony Montgomery will have a pre-draft visit with the Washington Redskins next week.[/QUOTE]

Clearly, this is some sort of joke. The [I]Washington Redskins[/I] are arranging a visit with a [I]defensive tackle[/I]?

Surely you jest.

GTripp0012 04-10-2006 11:07 PM

[quote=Beemnseven]Clearly, this is some sort of joke. The [I]Washington Redskins[/I] are arranging a visit with a [I]defensive tackle[/I]?

Surely you jest.[/quote]

Hard to imagine, ain't it? Actually, if you follow my posts I've been hoping that they give the position a look in the draft all along. Too many other needs to look there in the 2nd, but in the sixth, you can find a big space eater like a Gerald Anderson or an Anthony Montgomery. Any athletic talent is an added bonus.