Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   With the 53 pick the Skins select....... (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=12043)

36_REAPER_21 04-09-2006 10:26 PM

With the 53 pick the Skins select.......

Cedric Griffin

Hi Im new to the forum and im a die hard skins fan....im sorry if this topic has already been brought up..but i think he would be a great addition to the team.

Cedric Griffin has been a standout in the Longhorn secondary since his freshman season. Rotating between strong safety and corner, he finished with 73 tackles, three for loss, and a sack. As a sophomore corner, Griffin had 48 tackles, and his first career pick. In 2004, he tallied 68 tackles, three for loss, and two interceptions. This year he finished the season with a career high 86 tackles, to go with 15 pass breakups.

Griffin is one of the more physical corners in the draft. His game is based on hitting people. Whether it is jamming a receiver at the line, attacking the line of scrimmage, or laying the wood on players, he lets you know he is around. Griffin has played both corner and safety at Texas, and could project at either position at the next level. He's athletic enough to play corner, and tough enough to play safety. He's also an excellent special teamer.

Whether it is at corner or safety, Griffin simply does not make enough plays on the ball. He'll break up some passes, but rarely makes the big play. He is not refined at either spot, so he'll need some time to develop his skills at whatever position a team drafts him at. Griffin also lacks elite speed to keep up in deep coverage with receivers.

With his versatility, Griffin will draw a lot of interest from NFL teams. He has the talent to play any defensive back position, but where he plays will depend on the scheme. A lot of teams will be turned off by his lack of big play ability, although his acrobatic interception in the Senior Bowl was easily the best play of the game. He carries a third round grade, and should be a contributor in the NFL.

That Guy 04-09-2006 11:10 PM

Re: With the 53 pick the Skins select.......

we wouldn't take him at 53. We'd either get a higher rated prospect or trade down. He's pretty firmly in the 3rd round right now.

dcweldon 04-10-2006 02:58 AM

Most draft boards have this guy going in the first round, but due to his injuries, i don't think that any team in the nfl will take him that high: OLB Bobby Carpenter from Ohio State

6-2, 245
40 time at the combine was a 4.66
Throw back type of LB, similar to a Butkus or a Jack Ham.
Hard hitter, great in the run stop
Was surrounded by alot of talent at Ohio State, was seriously overshadowed by team leader AJ Hawk, the other OLB who will go top 5 in the draft.

As a senior he had 49.5 takles, 10.5 for loss, and 8 sacks (was injured for a better part of the season)
As a junior (first year as a starter) 93 takles, 6.5 for loss, 2 sacks and 3 ints

Great size and quickness, could definitley find his way onto the field in Washington and fill a gap.

dmek25 04-10-2006 06:41 AM

thatguy is the resident draft authority

#56fanatic 04-10-2006 08:33 AM

[quote=dcweldon]Most draft boards have this guy going in the first round, but due to his injuries, i don't think that any team in the nfl will take him that high: OLB Bobby Carpenter from Ohio State

6-2, 245
Was surrounded by alot of talent at Ohio State, was seriously overshadowed by team leader AJ Hawk, the other OLB who will go top 5 in the draft.

As a senior he had 49.5 takles, 10.5 for loss, and 8 sacks (was injured for a better part of the season)
As a junior (first year as a starter) 93 takles, 6.5 for loss, 2 sacks and 3 ints

Great size and quickness, could definitley find his way onto the field in Washington and fill a gap.[/quote]

Will he still be around that late? If so, I am all for it. Would like to have someone a little quicker though.

That Guy 04-10-2006 09:41 AM

carpenter would be worthwhile, but while he may just miss the 1st round, our chances of getting him are about the same as getting cromartie :( Maybe, but probably not. 4.66 isn't blazing for a LB, but if speed was everything, antonio brown would be a pro bowler. Football skills count, and he has some.

TheMalcolmConnection 04-10-2006 09:49 AM

I'm all for taking LB with that first pick. We can just stock up on CBs later on in the draft.

EXoffender 04-10-2006 10:45 AM

If Keith Adams comes to his senses and signs with us, I hoping CBs Youboty or Cromartie are still around.

PSUskinsfan11 04-10-2006 12:19 PM

I would love to get Thomas Howard OLB UTEP
6'3" 1/4 239lb 4.42 40
SR season.....85 tackles, 7 tfl, 3 sacks, 1 int, i ff
JR season...64 tackles, 14 tfl, 8 sacks, 2 ints, 2 ff

even sounds like a Gibbs player......
[url]http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/olb/thomashoward.html[/url]

If he's gone I would also like Abdul Hodge ILB Iowa. I've seen him play alot and he is a hell of a football player.

[url]http://hawkeyesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/hodge_abdul00.html[/url]
SR season 158 tackles, 11 TFL, 1 sack, 3 ff

Sociofan 04-10-2006 01:11 PM

[quote=dcweldon]Most draft boards have this guy going in the first round, but due to his injuries, i don't think that any team in the nfl will take him that high: OLB Bobby Carpenter from Ohio State

6-2, 245

Great size and quickness, could definitley find his way onto the field in Washington and fill a gap.[/quote]

Hawk might be top 10, but I doubt he'll go top 5.

budw38 04-11-2006 10:01 AM

Glad to hear all the insight into these draft prospects . trust me , all the young Lb's will get into trouble if the DL is not stout . We do not have any DL on the roster who average over 7 sacks per year , and D. Evans is the only man who has less than 4years , I think we should take the best DL man at 53 , then sighn a Veteran Lb ,, M. Washington is the only LB who has started more than 20 games on our roster . BEAT DALLAS

That Guy 04-11-2006 12:20 PM

[quote=budw38]Glad to hear all the insight into these draft prospects . trust me , all the young Lb's will get into trouble if the DL is not stout . We do not have any DL on the roster who average over 7 sacks per year , and D. Evans is the only man who has less than 4years , I think we should take the best DL man at 53 , then sighn a Veteran Lb ,, M. Washington is the only LB who has started more than 20 games on our roster . BEAT DALLAS[/quote]

carter averages over 7 sacks when playing DE. Daniels had 8 last year (though he's doubtful to repeat). Griffin gets 5-6 a year at DT. Youth would be nice, but no DE is going to come in and rack up 8 sacks his rookie year (at least, not 99% of the time). I think a CB or LB (or even a reserve OG) could contribute more immediately.

we have a bunch of DL guys with under 4 years experience (jones, killings, clemons, etc... no one of note), evans is entering his 6th year (which is more than 4), and lemar marshall has started more than 20 games. 16 last year, and most the year before when lavar got hurt.

dmek25 04-11-2006 12:23 PM

welcome bud and im not sure if i agree.as much as i dont want adams at lb,if he signs,we might want to look at offensive line.but as far as im concerned,both lines could use some depth

TheMalcolmConnection 04-11-2006 01:37 PM

[quote=That Guy]carter averages over 7 sacks when playing DE. Daniels had 8 last year (though he's doubtful to repeat). Griffin gets 5-6 a year at DT. Youth would be nice, but no DE is going to come in and rack up 8 sacks his rookie year (at least, not 99% of the time). I think a CB or LB (or even a reserve OG) could contribute more immediately.

we have a bunch of DL guys with under 4 years experience (jones, killings, clemons, etc... no one of note), evans is entering his 6th year (which is more than 4), and lemar marshall has started more than 20 games. 16 last year, and most the year before when lavar got hurt.[/quote]

I was just watching the games from 2005 recently and Daniels, even though he probably won't repeat his sack performance, is GREAT against run support and seems to always be batting passes.

That Guy 04-11-2006 01:49 PM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection]I was just watching the games from 2005 recently and Daniels, even though he probably won't repeat his sack performance, is GREAT against run support and seems to always be batting passes.[/quote]

yeah, its kind of crazy, the only DE with more PDs was jason taylor (who has 3 extra inches)... you'd think peppers would lead the league in DE PDs every year, but apparently not.