Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ahmed Brooks in the supplemental draft? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=12083)

GTripp0012 04-12-2006 10:01 PM

Ahmed Brooks in the supplemental draft?

I don't watch much UVA football, but at one point Brooks was a highly rated prospect. He's had some off the field issues, and got kicked out of school, and will likely enter the supplemental draft. My question is this, should we consider him? That decision would need to be made before the general draft, and allow us to go somewhere else in round 2. He may not be a Gibbs guy, but I'm sure GW could make him into one hell of a player.

Any thoughts?

PSUskinsfan11 04-12-2006 10:07 PM

Re: Ahmed Brooks in the supplemental draft?

I think he would definatly be worth the risk if we could get him for a 4th or 5th. The man is a beast and with our coaching staff could thrive. He would have been a top 20 pick if he came out as a sophmore.

hooskins 04-12-2006 10:12 PM

I go to UVa, so I have seen Ahmad* Brooks play many times. He is a stud athlete. At LB he is quite fast, and he doesnt fall out of coverage much. He got caught a handful of times for smoking weed, and that the main issue. Some other side issues are that he had alot of "personal" issues, and we are unsure what that meant, but that is what he had. He got kicked off the team by Coach Groh because of his continued violations of team policy. The main questions are his drug problem, and his team probs. I personally think at a really low spot in the supplemental draft, Brooks would be a great pickup, but maybe that is just bc of my personal bias.

skins009 04-12-2006 10:16 PM

Yes Yes Yes

I go to UVA. Ahmad is a absolute beast. He has a lot of problems with maturity and attitude. And he has been overweight as of late because of Knee problems. But I'm telling you his potential is worth it. In 3 years he will dominate the NFL.

hooskins 04-12-2006 10:26 PM

[quote=skins009]Yes Yes Yes

I go to UVA. Ahmad is a absolute beast. He has a lot of problems with maturity and attitude. And he has been overweight as of late because of Knee problems. But I'm telling you his potential is worth it. In 3 years he will dominate the NFL.[/quote]

What up my fellow Wahoo....where are you at, if your 09 like in your name, are u a first yr dude?

That Guy 04-12-2006 10:40 PM

the decision doesn't need to be made before the draft. supplemental picks go against next year's draft, and he wouldn't be a guy you could depend on to start right away (if ever), so he shouldn't cause any change to this years strategy.

GTripp0012 04-12-2006 11:09 PM

[quote=That Guy]the decision doesn't need to be made before the draft. supplemental picks go against next year's draft, and he wouldn't be a guy you could depend on to start right away (if ever), so he shouldn't cause any change to this years strategy.[/quote]

I'm saying that if they were planning on taking him, they would alter their draft strategy for it.

dmek25 04-13-2006 08:20 AM

doesnt really sound like a good,character guy to me

redsk1 04-13-2006 09:28 AM

It might be worth the risk. I'm a UVA fan, but Brooks worth ethic has been questioned by many, along w/ his other off field problems. He is very talented though and if he can get his act together would be a steal.

freddyg12 04-13-2006 09:44 AM

Brooks is a great athlete, was on his way to being the next collegiate lavar, but then it seemed drama surrounded hime one off season & there was always some question if he would return to uva long before he was kicked off. The uva guys obviously know more about it than I do. As I recall, this guys seems pretty smart doesn't he?
But he's definitely worth a 4th rnd. pick, not higher. Playing for a steady vet coach like gibbs would be good for him & GW would make him play his way or sit em down.

PSUSkinsFan21 04-13-2006 09:50 AM

Have we learned nothing from Maurice Clarrett? If he's not disciplined enough to cut it in college, how in the world would he make it in the NFL, more-less on a Gibbs-coached team? Potential can be either realized or unrealized.....and unrealized potential is about as useless as having one too many towel boys on your team. Actually, it can be even worse when you consider the detrimental effect a bad attitude has on the locker room. Pass.

freddyg12 04-13-2006 10:07 AM

sure, there's some risk, but you have to also consider how many players come w/such baggage these days - a lot.
I agree that its an issue w/brooks, but that just means gibbs & co. would need to do a little homework, which they will. If they feel he's smart enough to mature w/the team then he's worth a low rnd pick.

PSUSkinsFan21 04-13-2006 10:22 AM

Well, if Gibbs does the research and takes a shot, I'll trust in his decision and get behind it. For me, though, based on my limited knowledge, I wouldn't waste anything better than a 6th or 7th rounder on him. I'm just trying to think of the last NFL player that succeeded after getting kicked off his college team. Did Laverneous get kicked out of FSU? Can't remember.

Beemnseven 04-13-2006 10:34 AM

Sometimes the "off the field issues" tend to be overblown. Randy Moss had "issues" coming out of college. So did Fred Smoot. I'm not comparing his abilities with these guys. Other times all the warning signs of 'problem' players turn out true.

If you can get him for practically nothing -- 6th or 7th round pick, or wherever he falls in the supplemental, the risk/reward ratio is much easier to deal with.

If he's there, I say take him.

PSUSkinsFan21 04-13-2006 10:51 AM

I just think there's a big difference between "issues" and getting kicked off of a team. Does anyone really think that Marcus Vick deserves a shot in the NFL? Couldn't you see the inevitable Maurice Clarrett saga coming from a mile away? If Brooks has had problems with everything from discipline to attitude to work ethic in college.......what should we expect in the NFL? College is a picnic compared to the NFL. Maybe I'm just too quick to judge and too reluctant to give someone the benefit of the doubt after they've screwed up.........that's just me.