Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Discuss: Cerrato Extension (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=12121)

BrudLee 04-15-2006 07:51 AM

Discuss: Cerrato Extension

[url]http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=12118[/url]

Vinny Cerrato has, for reasons unbeknownst to me, inspired quite a bit of animosity among this and other fan sites. Here's why this doesn't upset me at all:

By and large, I've been happy with the player acquisitions of the past two years. Some of the moves (moving Coles, releasing Arrington) have been controversial, but I think we all see that the [i]team[/i] is better for them. While Cerrato may not be the guiding hand behind them, he has been the person who facilitates those moves, and clearly Gibbs thinks he handles that well.

I also wonder why "White Shirt" Vinny gets the grief he does. He has worked in football for years (1986-1991, Head of Recruiting, Notre Dame; 1991-1994, Director of College Scouting, 49ers; 1995-1999, Director of Player Personnel, 49ers) before he began to play handball with Dan Snyder, so denigrating him for his friendship with the owners rings false.

Sammy Baugh Fan 04-15-2006 08:05 AM

Re: Discuss: Cerrato Extension

Well, I still don't like his aftershave and you never even addressed that issue.

I guess my thought has been if Gibbs has him around...I trust that.

Good info. I didn't know that stuff.

peace
mike

BrudLee 04-15-2006 08:07 AM

[QUOTE=Sammy Baugh Fan]Well, I still don't like his aftershave and you never even addressed that issue.[/QUOTE]

Good point. There's [I]something[/I] about an Aqua Velva man...

Schneed10 04-15-2006 08:36 AM

I see Vinny as an asset actually. He's not someone you want making final decisions. And he doesn't make any final decisions for the Redskins. But he's good at collecting information for Gibbs to make a decision on. That's pretty much all he is. Some people seem to expect him to be more than that, or want him to be more than that. But I think you need to appreciate him for what he is, a hard worker who's willing to put in a lot of time collecting information on players.

That Guy 04-15-2006 08:55 AM

as a scout he's alright... a lot of people blame him for ramming the 49ers orginization head first into their ongoing state of craptitude, and he was also around here for some seriously bad drafts and free agency binges here. So either the bad ideas were his, or he had absolutely no power to stop them. Neither option is all that great.

Defensewins 04-15-2006 11:35 AM

[QUOTE=Schneed10]I see Vinny as an asset actually. He's not someone you want making final decisions. And he doesn't make any final decisions for the Redskins. But he's good at collecting information for Gibbs to make a decision on. That's pretty much all he is. Some people seem to expect him to be more than that, or want him to be more than that. But I think you need to appreciate him for what he is, a hard worker who's willing to put in a lot of time collecting information on players.[/QUOTE]

Vinny is an overpaid scout. That is all he does and makes a ton of dough.

Daseal 04-15-2006 12:24 PM

Vinny has really improved his own stock over the last few years. He had a run where he made some awful decesions, but he's on the up and up now.

MTK 04-15-2006 12:30 PM

He must be doing something right.

He's not as involved in personnel as people think he is currently, and he seems to be an easy target for some people whenever they want to cry about personnel issues.

Monksdown 04-15-2006 01:36 PM

I have a difficult time judging his performance, because Im not 100% sure what he does.

Master4Caster 04-15-2006 02:09 PM

Keep him. He's part of the Gibbs team.

The dislike came from the time when Daniel Snyder called the football shots and failed spectacularly. Cerrato was his deputy, but was not able to moderate Snyder's impulses. However, [B]no one[/B] at that time could have contained Snyder. So, while Vinnie shares some of the blame for the '99 - '03 teams, it is a unfair to blame it all on him. Even today, there's only one man Snyder will listen to -- and it ain't Vinnie!!!

With the Redskins improvement, there are plenty of reasons to like Cerrato and [URL="http://runningredskins.blogspot.com/2006/01/why-i-like-daniel-snyder-now.html"]Daniel Snyder[/URL].

mooby 04-15-2006 03:56 PM

Lol vinny reminds me of a loan shark. I dunno why, i just get this feeling from looking at his picture.

GoSkins! 04-15-2006 03:58 PM

[quote=mooby]Lol vinny reminds me of a loan shark. I dunno why, i just get this feeling from looking at his picture.[/quote]

Yeah, it just seems like he should be working in NY.

PorterHouse 04-15-2006 06:25 PM

I say if you got a front office that wants to win as much as they do, no matter what it cost its great for us, the fans. Now I dont know what everyone does from day to day but they do know how to excite me with all of the moves they make. Joes back and he had one bad season and one good season. And so far this off season has been good, so I say someones doin somethin right and Id rather let the people that get paid for it worry about the politics. Im gonna ride with any decision they make whether its good or bad. Ive been a fan thru the worst of times and that will never change. If you remember Joe only had two losing seaons in his career, his first season as a head coach and his first season back with us. So he definately knows how to win and im sure he wouldnt want anyone around that dont make good decisions.

JWsleep 04-15-2006 06:30 PM

Joe likes him--nuff said.

He was an easy mark when the team was sucking, but I think the FA pickups since 2000 have been generally very good--Washington, Griffen, Thomas, Rabach, etc.

That Guy 04-15-2006 06:46 PM

[quote=PorterHouse]I say if you got a front office that wants to win as much as they do, no matter what it cost its great for us, the fans. Now I dont know what everyone does from day to day but they do know how to excite me with all of the moves they make. Joes back and he had one bad season and one good season. And so far this off season has been good, so I say someones doin somethin right and Id rather let the people that get paid for it worry about the politics. Im gonna ride with any decision they make whether its good or bad. Ive been a fan thru the worst of times and that will never change. If you remember Joe only had two losing seaons in his career, his first season as a head coach and his first season back with us. So he definately knows how to win and im sure he wouldnt want anyone around that dont make good decisions.[/quote]

he went 8-8 his first year, that's not a losing season. I think he had one 7-9 year somewhere in there though.