Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/)
-   -   Visit the Warpath at Work Guilt Free (http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/12224-visit-the-warpath-work-guilt-free.html)

SmootSmack 04-24-2006 03:45 PM

Visit the Warpath at Work Guilt Free

[url]http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/3814753.html[/url]

Saying surfing the web is equivalent to reading a newspaper or talking on the phone, an administrative law judge has suggested that only a reprimand is appropriate as punishment for a city worker accused of failing to heed warnings to stay off the Internet.

TheMalcolmConnection 04-24-2006 03:48 PM

Re: Visit the Warpath at Work Guilt Free

Hell, I don't even get any warnings.

[IMG]http://www.hybridcars.com/blogs/images/kip_munro/Newman.jpg[/IMG]

SmootSmack 04-24-2006 03:50 PM

Now that I'll be joining ESPN I can just say "It's research"

TheMalcolmConnection 04-24-2006 03:51 PM

Bastard. Good call.

I do like the precedent that set for my fellow WPers (not like we cared anyway).

Mattyk 04-24-2006 03:58 PM

Makes sense to me.

Some people in my office walk around socializing all day, some talk on the phone, and some are outside half the day smoking.

I really don't see where being on the net is a bigger deal.

At least I'm available to answer my phone... whether I actually do is another question. :)

TheMalcolmConnection 04-24-2006 04:01 PM

I totally agree. Matty, would you say that there might be an F...Work Phone Calls thread coming?

Honestly, I CANNOT stand getting phone calls at work. I prefer emails because it gives me a written record of what I need to do. Sure, it might just be my profession, but damn, calling me just CAUSES me to write down what you say and normally people explain it better in email.

Mattyk 04-24-2006 04:29 PM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection]I totally agree. Matty, would you say that there might be an F...Work Phone Calls thread coming?

Honestly, I CANNOT stand getting phone calls at work. I prefer emails because it gives me a written record of what I need to do. Sure, it might just be my profession, but damn, calling me just CAUSES me to write down what you say and normally people explain it better in email.[/quote]

How good of a day I have is totally dependent on how many phone calls I get. The less I get, the better my day.

I get a lot of idiotic calls of someone telling me they are going to fax me something. I literally want to tear the hair outta my head on those. :boxing:

TheMalcolmConnection 04-24-2006 04:30 PM

:mad:

Been there, done that. But with emails.

"Hey, I'm going to CC you and so-and-so this. Be looking for the email."

TheMalcolmConnection 04-24-2006 04:31 PM

It's hilarious to think about it too. "Work would be awesome if it wasn't for all these damn phone calls and emails."

That Guy 04-24-2006 04:41 PM

at home i turn my phone's ringer off. The sound of it just pisses me off...

TheMalcolmConnection 04-24-2006 04:45 PM

Yeah, I have all these friends who are always trying to get me to go out and do stuff and I'm like "Goddamit, there's just not enough of me to go around!"

firstdown 04-24-2006 05:55 PM

Chaulk another one up for our legal system. What he is saying is that if your boss tells you not to surf the net, read a news paper, or make personal phone calls that he has no right to fire you if you ignor him. Did you see what the guys job was no wonder the public school system is in such a mess everyone is on the internet. I know what your thinking that I'm at work posting this but I am self employed.

dmek25 04-24-2006 07:03 PM

yeah,its getting damn near impossible for someone to get fired.even if they really deserve it

TheMalcolmConnection 04-25-2006 09:44 AM

[quote=firstdown]Chaulk another one up for our legal system. What he is saying is that if your boss tells you not to surf the net, read a news paper, or make personal phone calls that he has no right to fire you if you ignor him. Did you see what the guys job was no wonder the public school system is in such a mess everyone is on the internet. I know what your thinking that I'm at work posting this but I am self employed.[/quote]

I think the decision was made based on the fact that you should be allowed to do your browsing if it doesn't affect your job performance. Because if people don't browse the Internet, they'll find something else to do. I won't deny, I'm on here most of my day but for those who have my AIM screenname and talk to me on a consistent basis know that the second something drops that I have to do, I'm off doing it.

saden1 04-25-2006 10:29 AM

Yesterday I come in at 8:30 am just so I can leave early but end-up staying until a 8 pm with a meager 10 min lunch...I feel no guilt whatsoever!