Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Film Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Spencer Havner video (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=12372)

Drago 05-02-2006 11:49 AM

Spencer Havner video

He just might give Mcintosh a run for his money
[URL="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3674839765704580799"]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3674839765704580799[/URL]

PSUskinsfan11 05-02-2006 12:41 PM

Re: Spencer Havner video

There has got to be a reason he wasn't drafted but I remember seeing him play this year and liking him alot. I still think he will at least make the roster.

PWNED 05-02-2006 03:06 PM

kid hits like a beast.

Carnage 05-02-2006 03:59 PM

he does have a nice attitude.

That Guy 05-02-2006 06:01 PM

looks old school

dmek25 05-02-2006 06:37 PM

what kind of size does he have?

dmek25 05-02-2006 06:51 PM

sorry,didnt realize you already had a profile running

That Guy 05-02-2006 07:42 PM

6'4" 242, he has good size.

theJBexperience 05-03-2006 12:10 AM

How did he go undrafted?

GTripp0012 05-03-2006 12:35 AM

Really shouldn't have. The demand at OLB wasn't as high as the Supply, and I'll bet at least a few teams didn't think he was still on the board.

ChickenMonkey 05-04-2006 11:09 PM

He got undrafted because he's dreadfully slow for a linebacker,,especially if hes trying to make the switch to the outside backer spot. Doesnt match up well with RB's out of the backfield,,he'll be a hell of a specialteams player though.
Not the caliber of McIntosh.

MS

That Guy 05-04-2006 11:33 PM

[quote=ChickenMonkey]He got undrafted because he's dreadfully slow for a linebacker,,especially if hes trying to make the switch to the outside backer spot. Doesnt match up well with RB's out of the backfield,,he'll be a hell of a specialteams player though.
Not the caliber of McIntosh.

MS[/quote]

he's the exact same speed as mcintosh.

ParkerGibbs 05-05-2006 12:39 AM

[quote=That Guy]he's the exact same speed as mcintosh.[/quote]

as far as sprint times, yes. but when it comes to adjusting to the play on the field, and changing directions on a dime, hes much slower than mcintosh

That Guy 05-05-2006 03:07 AM

[quote=ParkerGibbs]as far as sprint times, yes. but when it comes to adjusting to the play on the field, and changing directions on a dime, hes much slower than mcintosh[/quote]

except, that's wrong:

havner - 4.63, 4.09 shuttle, 6.82 3cone
mcintosh - 4.63, 4.20 shuttle, 7.32 3cone

his reactions may be slower or whatnot, but CoD as measured is better on havner.

mheisig 05-05-2006 08:29 PM

I wouldn't judge a player by a 1 minute highlight reel - everyone looks good on highlight reels. They are call "high"-lights for a reason.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 05-05-2006 09:45 PM

[QUOTE=That Guy]except, that's wrong:

havner - 4.63, 4.09 shuttle, 6.82 3cone
mcintosh - 4.63, 4.20 shuttle, 7.32 3cone

his reactions may be slower or whatnot, but CoD as measured is better on havner.[/QUOTE]

Isn't 6.82 damn fast for a linebacker? That Guy, what LB had the fastest cone time at the combine?

That Guy 05-06-2006 12:07 AM

6.65 3cone is about the best a DB can do. (best this year was 6.56, but that's a super ultra rare score, and the guy was an unknown that ran a 4.6ish 40).

james anderson had a 6.68. 2nd place was a tie at 6.82 between havner and AJ Hawk. the average is about 7.1 it looks like. As a measure of agility, 3cone (for LBs/DBs) helps show potential coverage ability in short zones and the ability to reach around and knock balls away from TEs and such. (Basketball players tend to have crazy 3cone times due to all the practice they get boxing out and competing for loose balls etc).

EXoffender 05-06-2006 04:33 PM

I think we have our future starting LBs...

That Guy 05-07-2006 01:41 AM

havner could turn out like pierce or marshall... its a bit of a fluke he went undrafted... but sometimes it happens. I'd like to see him stick around. and the 6'2" corner we got (with a name like ASFSDGFADASDa hieof hafrhaaljfhljfh) should be a good #4 for the next few years as well (as long as he shows up in camp).

ChickenMonkey 05-07-2006 03:25 PM

[quote=That Guy]havner could turn out like pierce or marshall... its a bit of a fluke he went undrafted... but sometimes it happens. I'd like to see him stick around. and the 6'2" corner we got (with a name like ASFSDGFADASDa hieof hafrhaaljfhljfh) should be a good #4 for the next few years as well (as long as he shows up in camp).[/quote]

Seems like the coaching staff is enamored by his physical skills already,
he'll definately make the team.Look for a backup LB (clemens..McCune)from last year to loose his spot in camp.

JWsleep 05-07-2006 05:13 PM

What I like about him (and, remember, this is from reading draft tidbits and whatnot) is that they call him a "throwback" player. He's not a flashy guy but he just makes plays. He seems like a good fit, and he was clearly among the best undrafteds. One way or another, I'd expect him to make the team. Plus, all this competition at LB is just what they need. And given how Williams and Lindsay seem gifted at taking "no names" (Pierce and Marshall) and turning them into starters on a top 10 D, I feel very good about the LBs. THat was well addressed in the draft, whatever the pundits think.

mgolper 05-07-2006 10:35 PM

Trust me, Havner is a stud. I'm a UCLA alum and still love Bruin Football even though its almost impossible to catch a game out here. It was absolutely mindboggling to see him go undrafted. Two time Butkus award semi-finalist; Earned first-team All-America acclaim from cbssportsline.com and collegefootballnews.com ... He was selected second-team All-America by the Walter Camp Football Foundation, led the Bruins the last two years in tackles 125 in 04' (while missing a game).

He considered leaving after his junior year but wasn't happy with his projected status as a 3rd or 4th rounder. As a junior, Havner earned first-team All-America acclaim from cbssportsline.com and collegefootballnews.com ... He was selected second-team All-America by the Walter Camp Football Foundation

He received a similar projection this year and somehow fell out the draft completely, hes got to be disssapointed, but hopefully whats happened to him sets him up to prove the doubters wrong. I'm excited to see what he can do.