Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/)
-   -   Prenuptial Agreements (http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/12565-prenuptial-agreements.html)

saden1 05-26-2006 09:55 PM

Prenuptial Agreements

Does anyone here have one with their spouse? How do you get a woman to sign one without losing "trust" in a marriage?

Edit: posted in the wrong forum. mod, please move.

Schneed10 05-26-2006 10:12 PM

Re: Prenuptial Agreements

I'm from the old school, I don't think there's any such thing as a prenuptial agreement where trust stays intact.

PS This should be a parking lot thread.

CooleyAsCanBe 05-27-2006 01:23 PM

My wife had more assets than I did when we were married, so she would have been looking for me to sign...

I do think the whole idea does hobble the marriage from the start.

Intolerable cruelty is a pretty hilarious movie about the topic if you are looking for ideas on how NOT to get your future spouse to sign one.

CooleyAsCanBe 05-27-2006 01:24 PM

P.S. I love that gold cup by my name now. I'll have to go back and always hold a high score just to keep that.

SkinsLove24/7 05-27-2006 01:40 PM

What is with the gold cup and how did you/how do I get one??

CooleyAsCanBe 05-27-2006 02:36 PM

You get one with a first place score in any arcade game.

BDBohnzie 05-30-2006 09:12 AM

since neither me nor my wife come from any great wealth and fortune, it was not necessary. however, i really don't see it as a problem...those agreements can be written so that both parties are taken care of if the need for divorce arises.

TheMalcolmConnection 05-30-2006 09:19 AM

To me, it's one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of things. Like, say a divorce gets really messy, and maybe she cheated and you know it, but there's no real "proof", it would make it easy for everything to just be done.

But on the other hand, if you sign one, there's a problem with trust from the start.

BDBohnzie 05-30-2006 09:22 AM

why does it have to be a trust issue? perhaps I'm naive, but if there's trouble abrewin' from the mention of a prenup, perhaps the relationship isn't strong enough to consider marriage...

TheMalcolmConnection 05-30-2006 09:30 AM

That's true enough.

PWNED 05-30-2006 09:34 AM

ladies would be lucky to marry me. i just tell them to sign over 100 percent of their meager posessions before the wedding.

what am i talking about? i dont get married.

Mattyk 05-30-2006 09:42 AM

[quote=BDBohnzie]why does it have to be a trust issue? perhaps I'm naive, but if there's trouble abrewin' from the mention of a prenup, perhaps the relationship isn't strong enough to consider marriage...[/quote]

That's it exactly.

I could maybe understand it if you were a multi-millionaire or something and had alot of assets, but otherwise I don't really think it's necessary.

Schneed10 05-30-2006 10:09 AM

[quote=BDBohnzie]why does it have to be a trust issue? perhaps I'm naive, but if there's trouble abrewin' from the mention of a prenup, perhaps the relationship isn't strong enough to consider marriage...[/quote]

I think you hit it on the head. If a prenup is even entering the discussion, then the relationship is probably doomed from the start. Believing a prenup may be needed (even if only as a "just in case"), shows trust issues in a relationship to begin with.

Successful marriages are based on a lot of things, trust being a big one. If you find yourself thinking about a prenup before getting down on one knee, I'd say it's time to go back and think about whether you should be proposing in the first place.

jbcjr14 05-30-2006 10:27 AM

Actually I think the number one issue for divorce is due to money and/or arguments over money...so if you eliminate the arguement over money what's the issue? I personally don't have one, but if were asked wouldn't worry about it too much as you are eliminating the number one marriage killer (outside of Redskin football!!!).

firstdown 05-30-2006 10:55 AM

I signed one that if we split she had to take all of our junk. I'm tired of moving it. I do get to keep the boat, fishing equipment, and car. LOL