Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/)
-   -   no sound from computer (http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/12646-no-sound-from-computer.html)

Mattyk 06-06-2006 04:32 PM

no sound from computer

I can't figure out what the heck is going on. I've got no sound whatsoever, but no device conflicts or problems in device manager. Nothing is muted, any suggestions?? I tried to do a system restore but it says nothing has changed. I haven't changed anything, the sound just went out of the blue.

BrudLee 06-06-2006 04:34 PM

Re: no sound from computer

Not trying to be a smart ass, but are you're speakers plugged in the the wall, the computer, and turned on?

I troubleshoot these things for a living, and you'd be surprised what is overlooked.

That Guy 06-06-2006 04:35 PM

speakers have power? did the cable come out of the output socket in the back of your computer?

Mattyk 06-06-2006 05:19 PM

power is double checked and power light on the speakers is on. I unhooked everything too and hooked everything back up.

That Guy 06-06-2006 05:38 PM

do you have a 2nd set of speakers to test? maybe the thing blew itself out or a wire came loose or some such...

SmootSmack 06-06-2006 05:41 PM

Maybe you've just gone deaf. Let me remind you of the results of a study conducted by eminent psychologist Dr. Monk-Fan:

"The use of the drug Ecstasy has also been implicated in hearing damage. Ecstasy, and similar 'dance drugs', fuels the need to dance longer and at higher volumes. Furthermore, the analgesic qualities of the drug mean that loudness discomfort is blunted, further lengthening exposure times."

Might want to take that pacifier out of your mouth and stop going to those raves with JoeRedskin

cpayne5 06-06-2006 06:53 PM

On top of what others have already said...

- Headphones attached to the headphone jack?
- Is your sound muted within Windows? Make sure that Wave is not muted, also.
- Did you hit the mute button on your keyboard (if so equipped) accidentally?

mooby 06-06-2006 06:56 PM

yeah i thought that something was wrong with my sound too, until someone told me to check wave and i saw someone had messed with it. Anyways, maybe your speakers are dead, and you need to buy new ones.

Mattyk 06-06-2006 07:59 PM

[quote=cpayne5]On top of what others have already said...

- Headphones attached to the headphone jack?
- Is your sound muted within Windows? Make sure that Wave is not muted, also.
- Did you hit the mute button on your keyboard (if so equipped) accidentally?[/quote]

-No headphones
-Sound is definitely not muted anywhere
-No mute button on the keyboard

EEich 06-06-2006 09:27 PM

Sound card or integrated on motherboard?

Mattyk 06-06-2006 10:29 PM

[quote=EEich]Sound card or integrated on motherboard?[/quote]

Umm I don't know.

I guess on the motherboard, it's not aftermarket or anything, just what came standard with my Dell Dimension 2400.

jamf 06-06-2006 10:58 PM

A common problem is it somehow gets muted. go into Start Programs -> accessories-> Entertainment
then click on audio. Make sure its not muted.

TheMalcolmConnection 06-07-2006 08:52 AM

Matty, go to your Device Manager, right click on whatever the driver is for the audio, tell it to "uninstall" and then reboot.

If it reboots, and redetects the card, it should set it back to all default settings. If it detects it and it still doesn't work, there's some other things I'd consider. I'd also consider updating the BIOS using the files located on the Dell website.

Mattyk 06-07-2006 11:31 PM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection]Matty, go to your Device Manager, right click on whatever the driver is for the audio, tell it to "uninstall" and then reboot.

If it reboots, and redetects the card, it should set it back to all default settings. If it detects it and it still doesn't work, there's some other things I'd consider. I'd also consider updating the BIOS using the files located on the Dell website.[/quote]

Alright, tried that now I'm getting a question mark next to Multimedia Audio Controller in the device manager.

Mattyk 06-08-2006 08:08 AM

Now I'm having even worse problems, after 2 or 3 minutes after booting up everything freezes up.