Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Best blockers: Football Scientist (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=12787)

MTK 06-20-2006 03:14 PM

Best blockers: Football Scientist

[URL="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=joyner_kc&id=2485181&univLogin02=stateChanged"]A good block is a successful block[/URL]

I'm not going to post the entire article since it's an ESPN Insider article, but just to sum it up KC Joyner rated out the best blockers in the league using a few different categories and he came up with what he calls the blocking success percentage, or one way to rate the general success/failure of each block. Here's how the best rated according to his blocking percentage system:

[B]1. C. Samuels Washington 94.8%[/B]
2. S. Locklear Seattle 94.4
3. K. Barry Green Bay 94.2
4. C. Villarrial Buffalo 91.8
5. B. Hamilton Denver 91.6
[B]6. D. Dockery Washington 91.1[/B]
7. J. Peters Buffalo 90.9
8. R. Brown Chicago 90.8
9. V. Riley Houston 90.5
10. B. Olson Tennessee 90.2

ArtMonkDrillz 06-20-2006 03:18 PM

Re: Best blockers: Football Scientist

That's interesting about Dockery being so high, especially since I would think the majority of us would have said that Thomas is better. Last year was a great step for Docker since he seemed to cut way back on the stupid penalties.

gibbsisgod 06-20-2006 03:34 PM

[quote=ArtMonkDrillz]That's interesting about Dockery being so high, especially since I would think the majority of us would have said that Thomas is better. Last year was a great step for Docker since he seemed to cut way back on the stupid penalties.[/quote]I, for one, would still say that thomas is better.

if you had to choose betwen the 2 you cant tell me you would take dock over thomas, can you?

in docks defense i should say that i have noticed a huge improvement over the last season compared to early on. he was always good for 2 penaties a game whether it be false start or holding.but you dont hear his name called that often and that is usually a good thing.

mheisig 06-20-2006 03:44 PM

Cool! Only Buffalo and the 'Skins have 2 players in the top 10!

gibbsisgod 06-20-2006 03:46 PM

where is god's gift to o-lineman hutchinson?

MTK 06-20-2006 03:49 PM

[quote=gibbsisgod]where is god's gift to o-lineman hutchinson?[/quote]

He's still backing his dump truck full of cash up to the bank.

PWNED 06-20-2006 03:58 PM

i heard he got a hernia carrying it.

FRPLG 06-20-2006 04:04 PM

I would say the flaw in his method lies in the calculation of YPA. On our team for example I bet Samuels and Dock got screwed because teams stack the line and our YPA goes down big time. Through no real fault of them really. In reality because they pose such a relative threat versus the passing game they get punished. I honestly feel his block percentages are a better indicator.

MTK 06-20-2006 04:05 PM

[quote=FRPLG]I would say the flaw in his method lies in the calculation of YPA. On our team for example I bet Samuels and Dock got screwed because teams stack the line and our YPA goes down big time. Through no real fault of them really. In reality because they pose such a relative threat versus the passing game they get punished. I honestly feel his block percentages are a better indicator.[/quote]

I feel the same way, that's why I highlighted the blocking % numbers. They seem more pure to me and not influenced by other circumstances.

dmek25 06-20-2006 04:06 PM

i think dockery and thomas are at least equal. therefore, i would take dockery just because of his age. i think he made great strides last season and wouldnt be surprised if he made the pro bowl this season

FRPLG 06-20-2006 04:12 PM

[QUOTE=dmek25]i think dockery and thomas are at least equal. therefore, i would take dockery just because of his age. i think he made great strides last season and wouldnt be surprised if he made the pro bowl this season[/QUOTE]
I would. The pro bowl is increasingly about name recognition and I am pretty sure Dock has a relatively lower rep than a lot of guys. Especially at a no name position like guard he'd have to make some type of major waves to even get considered. When a guy like Marcus Washington doesn't make the pro bowl I have a hard time believing anyone can who isn't already a big time name. Of course who the heck are the big time names in the guard group?

jamf 06-20-2006 04:18 PM

I still think they are overrated and dont play with heart or passion. I will take thomas and jansen over those guys any day of the week and twice on sunday...

PWNED 06-20-2006 04:20 PM

seriously you cant rip of samuels. he hardly gave up any sacks last year. just like an article once said, when it happens, its news.

BigSKINBauer 06-20-2006 04:21 PM

That is why we have a top 3 line in the NFL. THomas is the best player on this offense in my opinion and we can see we have powerhouses to compliment him on the line. Rabach is our 'worst' player on the line but that is no problem because he is still beast(except when you are in the closing minutes of a game against the chargers. When that happens he justs starts being stupid). Doc deserves some respect. last year he was belittled pre-season like none other. He stepped up and so did the rest of the line. It is amazing that he does his job 91% of the time and samuels is doing it 95% of the time. That means 86% of the time the left side of our line is 'successful'. That is fenominal. The right side of our line isn't going to fall either having thomas and jansen. This line is absolutely amazing and we can thank bugel for that. We can see our players develop in thomas and Doc and that is because of bugez. Great job to him.

MTK 06-20-2006 04:26 PM

[quote=jamf]I still think they are overrated and dont play with heart or passion. I will take thomas and jansen over those guys any day of the week and twice on sunday...[/quote]

Don't play with heart or passion?

Wow. That's a pretty strong statement. How can you back that up?

I think Buges might disagree with you.